Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

A Question.

I only just realized this:

At the end of GoF, why doesn't Harry see the horses drawing the carriages? The reason is probably mentioned somewhere, but I've missed it, if it was.

He has already witnessed Cedric's death, so... why can't he see them?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

This was explained by JKR. She said that you have to come to terms with the death before you see them. Harry hadn't fully comprehended it yet, you could say, and he definatly hadn't come to terms with it yet, which is why he couldn't see them yet. He was still in shock from it.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Heh! Sounds pretty fishy to me!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

She says she thought about it. Here's exactly what she said:
"Harry had just seen Cedric die when he got back into the carriages to go back to Hogsmeade station. I thought about that at the end of Goblet, because I have known from the word go what was drawing the carriages. From Chamber of Secrets, in which there are carriages drawn by invisible things, I have known what was there. I decided that it would be an odd thing to do right at the end of a book. Anyone who has suffered a bereavement knows that there is the immediate shock but that it takes a little while to appreciate fully that you will never see that person again. Until that had happened, I did not think that Harry could see the Thestrals. That means that when he goes back, he saw these spooky things. It set the tone for Phoenix, which is a much darker book."

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:32 AM   #5
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

But didn't Harry see his parents die so shouldn't he have been able to see them all the time.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #6
azalea
Long lost mooter

He was in his crib at the time, according to JKR.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:59 PM   #7
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirigorn
This was explained by JKR. She said that you have to come to terms with the death before you see them. Harry hadn't fully comprehended it yet, you could say, and he definatly hadn't come to terms with it yet, which is why he couldn't see them yet. He was still in shock from it.

~Siri~
That's what we were thinking (we being my sister and I), but I was lazy and, instead of figuring it out for meeself, I just asked you! Thanks.