Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2002, 02:16 AM   #161
Eowyn of Rohan
Enting

I too have my copy of the extended version now, and I couldn't be more delighted that New Line distributed it.

Fav moments:
- Green dragon w/ Merry & Pippin table dancing and singing.
- Aragorn getting his legs knocked out from under him by Merry and Pip when wrestling with Boromir during their sword training (no one has mentioned that yet I believe - it wasn't in the original was it?). It shows Aragorn's light and playful side - much needed.)
- Galadriel laughing (how wonderful! - also much needed).
- Gift givings (particularly the cloaks, elven rope, Gimli's reflection of getting Galadriel's hairs)
- Lembas introduction

.... and here is where I jump off and need to address other people's "problem" with this scene.

Call it gutter humor all you want.

Really!! ::rolling eyes:: Is that all you can focus on? Are you REALLY and purposefully trying to apply the etiquette rules of today's societies to:
1- a few people's interpretations
2- of the customs and actions
3- of a couple of characters
4- out of a make believe movie
5- that is based on a fictional work of literature
??

Merry picked his teeth! Would you like to start complaining about that too?

Really! Some of you people focus on the most ridiculous things to be insulted by.

If you are so faint of heart that a natural bodily function so readily offends you, then you completely miss the overall effects and details that that moment brings to the movie. That less than a minutes segment (not really part of the gift giving ceremony) would have SURELY been valuable to have left in the original, burp and all (and, yes, it was a burp!)

That scene was valuable for so many reasons!!
1- it introduces the audience to the existence of Lembas.
2- It explains it's function and importance.
3- It is the reason that the audience won't later ask "Well, how are these individuals surviving out there for so long with so seemingly little sustinance."
4- It shows how Elves view it's importance.
5- It reaffirms the culture of the Hobbits loving to eat!
6- It reaffirms how close Merry and Pip are (Merry doesn't even NEED to ask Pip *IF* he had any, he only needs to ask just how many he actually had.)
7- Burping is humorous to most of society today (those who don't think it VULGAR do anyway), and humor is necessary in these moments of the film to give the story a pleasing flow and to give the audience a chance to "catch it's breath" before the next moments of high energy action sequences!

So, stick those opinions under your hat and tinker around with them for awhile. If you still feel you have a valuable reason to have NOT had that scene in place (burp and all), then come back and post your opinions on it, ... and I'll be happy to point out all the reasons why you are wrong. ::BURP!!::

~ Eowyn killed the Witchking, not Merry. ~
Eowyn of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:23 AM   #162
Nibs
Head Hollara

Well, to each his (or her) own... if they don't like it, it's no use telling 'em they should.

I haven't seen the extended version quite yet... someone I know is buying it so I don't have to.

SCORE!

I may just wait until the bundle to end all bundles comes out... I might have to hock something else in the process, though.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:17 AM   #163
Eowyn of Rohan
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
Well, to each his (or her) own... if they don't like it, it's no use telling 'em they should.
Sure it "is of use". If someone nevers stops to consider why it is they are pushing their own values on art or tries to develop their own ability for rational and thoughful objectiveness, then how will that person ever be able to fully appreciate the work or moment for all that it could possibly represent?

It's called "not going through life with blinders on". Being open to something having meaning even though the exact nature of it might escape you at that moment.

Sometimes people need others to help them remove the blinders from their eyes.

Unfortunately, sometimes even that is of no use because some people not only suffer ignorance and closemindedness, but obstinance as well.

Old 11-18-2002, 03:19 AM   #164
Eowyn of Rohan
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
Sure, it "is of use". If someone nevers stops to consider why it is they are pushing their own values on art or tries to develop their own ability for rational and thoughful objectiveness, then how will that person ever be able to fully appreciate the work or moment for all that it could possibly represent?

It's called "not going through life with blinders on". Being open to something having meaning even though the exact nature of it might escape you at that moment.

Sometimes people need others to help them remove the blinders from their eyes.

Unfortunately, sometimes even that is of no use because some people not only suffer ignorance and closemindedness, but obstinance as well.

Old 11-18-2002, 03:21 AM   #165
Eowyn of Rohan
Enting

oops... Sorry for the double posting. The computer said the website wasn't responding the first time.

Old 11-18-2002, 07:43 AM   #166
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn of Rohan
I
- Lembas introduction

.... and here is where I jump off and need to address other people's "problem" with this scene.

Call it gutter humor all you want.

Really!! ::rolling eyes:: Is that all you can focus on? Are you REALLY and purposefully trying to apply the etiquette rules of today's societies to:
1- a few people's interpretations
2- of the customs and actions
3- of a couple of characters
4- out of a make believe movie
5- that is based on a fictional work of literature
??

Merry picked his teeth! Would you like to start complaining about that too?

Really! Some of you people focus on the most ridiculous things to be insulted by.

If you are so faint of heart that a natural bodily function so readily offends you, then you completely miss the overall effects and details that that moment brings to the movie. That less than a minutes segment (not really part of the gift giving ceremony) would have SURELY been valuable to have left in the original, burp and all (and, yes, it was a burp!)

That scene was valuable for so many reasons!!
1- it introduces the audience to the existence of Lembas.
2- It explains it's function and importance.
3- It is the reason that the audience won't later ask "Well, how are these individuals surviving out there for so long with so seemingly little sustinance."
4- It shows how Elves view it's importance.
5- It reaffirms the culture of the Hobbits loving to eat!
6- It reaffirms how close Merry and Pip are (Merry doesn't even NEED to ask Pip *IF* he had any, he only needs to ask just how many he actually had.)
7- Burping is humorous to most of society today (those who don't think it VULGAR do anyway), and humor is necessary in these moments of the film to give the story a pleasing flow and to give the audience a chance to "catch it's breath" before the next moments of high energy action sequences!

So, stick those opinions under your hat and tinker around with them for awhile. If you still feel you have a valuable reason to have NOT had that scene in place (burp and all), then come back and post your opinions on it, ... and I'll be happy to point out all the reasons why you are wrong. ::BURP!!::
A burp's no biggie Eowyn! But a fart....stinks!

Last edited by Lizra : 11-18-2002 at 07:50 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:07 AM   #167
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
wow, Pailan. That took guts. Good thing no one here knows your home address, or else of the extremists might send you a (special edition) package bomb j/k

But seriously, you liked the theatrical release better?
Yes, I truly enjoy the theatrical release better. I think that about 80% of the new thirty minutes interfered with the pace of the film. I began to wonder if the movie would ever leave the Shire. Yes, I understand that it allowed for more of the books to be brought in and all but still I perfer the first release. Anyone else with me on this? or do I stand alone?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:10 AM   #168
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

methinks you stand alone !
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:55 PM   #169
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Pailan
Yes, I truly enjoy the theatrical release better. I think that about 80% of the new thirty minutes interfered with the pace of the film. I began to wonder if the movie would ever leave the Shire. Yes, I understand that it allowed for more of the books to be brought in and all but still I perfer the first release. Anyone else with me on this? or do I stand alone?
Pailan, have you read the book? If you haven't, I can understand you prefer the theatrical version. Even if I strongly disagree with you!

I found the extended version a lot better than the theatrical version. I specially enjoyed seeing more of Haldir and Celeborn, and in general everything from Lorien. Today I'm glad that I did not buy the 'ordinary version' DVD set, even if I envied those who did at the time.

Someone mentioned "wimpy Aragorn". I didn't find anything wimpy about him. I think the 'memorial of Gilraen' scene and the pillow smashing just made him more human, and real, and more like the Aragorn from the book.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:24 PM   #170
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Artanis:

I know for sure that Pailan has most certainly read the books, and he can bloody well discuss the books in great detail and with reasoned logic.

Pailan, I didn't think the extra bits hurt the pacing of the film at all, but then we get back to the whole "film appreciation is totally subjective" discussion. I though the pacing quite improved with the additional footage.

As for your assertion, Eowyn of Rohan, that:

"If you are so faint of heart that a natural bodily function so readily offends you, then you completely miss the overall effects and details that that moment brings to the movie."

Well, well, well, aren't YOU the enlightened one!

Yup, I did think that the flatulence, which I originally thought Pip's gaseous expulsion was, would be completely out of place and a needlessly vulgar addition to the film which was included to appeal to pruruent interests and certain lowbrow, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing "samwise" elements in the movie audience to whom manners and public decorum are arcane and unknown concepts.

However, I will take the correction that it was not flatluence but a burp, and although that is far milder in scope, it's still a vulgarity of sorts (yes, it IS impolite and nasty and gross to belch in public, even in some rap-infested southside hovels which have not seen the evidence of good manners since the 1870s), and totally unnecessary to either the development of story line, or to the fleshing out of hobbits' desire for foodstuffs.

I know the idea of good manners and not adding disgusting modern slackness towards civility to a work of greatness may be a concept some orcish individuals may not naturally comprehend.

It IS a burp, and not flatulence, but it, again, was unnecessary, and its addition subtracted, ever most slightly, from the quality of the whole. It was more in place for an Uruk-Hai or Mordor Red Eye orc than a gentle hobbit. Believe you me, the Shire was a pretty polite place (but not preternaturally sterile).

But I'll be kind, and toss a bone for the orcs to gnaw upon and spit back in my direction (if the orcs have a lick of sense, that is), a bone with the words of Ronald himself enscribed upon:

"...without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless..."
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 11-18-2002 at 01:28 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:27 PM   #171
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Strider Extended Edition of LotR, yay!

i've seen some of the extended things! like orlando tipped his boat! :P go to the Lord of the Rings official site & check it out!

~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:20 PM   #172
Nibs
Head Hollara

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn of Rohan
Just don't you become guilty of that yourself.

It's no use trying to change my mind .

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:52 PM   #173
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Eowyn of Rohan -

The burp/fart - was unnecessary. Again it reduced Pippin and Merry to the cheap comic relief role that makes me hate their characters so much in the movie.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:32 PM   #174
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I think the burp was unnecessary (my son, who's a burp expert, assures me that's what it is), but maybe it has a point. If a bite of lembas will keep you going all day, what would 4 whole ones do, from a physiological standpoint? Give you gas, for sure. Maybe worse. Maybe PJ's just trying to be nutritionally correct.

(if we really must discuss this til Dec 18 comes!)
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:45 PM   #175
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

It was a burp!

It was meant to signify gluttony/overindulgence (something(s) Hobbits are rather well known for).

Yes it may be considered crass/boorish but c'mon, everyone has a little burp/fart happen when they don't mean it to

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #176
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I thought the whole lembas scene, burp and all, was great! Isn't that just how life is sometimes? In the midst of a solemn moment - whoops!

(I almost died once from trying to suppress the giggles during a wedding when the guy in front of me kept letting loose with some flatulence - I had tears running down my face, I was trying so hard not to laugh - later on, a friend who saw my tears commented on how I was so obviously moved by the ceremony!)

I think the emissions on both ends of the GI tract are proof positive that God has a sense of humor. So call me a yokel! I also enjoy classical music and play the harp, BTW, and will gladly discuss the finer points of Chopin with anyone.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:50 AM   #177
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

What do they say?

Does anyone know what Aragorn and Haldir are saying to each other on the flet after Haldir states 'you can go no further'? I would very much like to know, both in Elvish and English. I'm also curious about what Gimli says in his own tongue to Haldir. Can anyone figure out?
Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
I know for sure that Pailan has most certainly read the books, and he can bloody well discuss the books in great detail and with reasoned logic.
Eh ..... did I offend you? Or Pailan? That was not my intention. I was just curious about whether he had read the book or not.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:24 AM   #178
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

PJ must be really impressed with all the hard work he put into the extended dvd - wouldnt you, if after months of additional work all people were interested in was a burp !( or was it ?? )
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:49 AM   #179
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I think the emissions on both ends of the GI tract are proof positive that God has a sense of humor. So call me a yokel! I also enjoy classical music and play the harp, BTW, and will gladly discuss the finer points of Chopin with anyone.
Right on! Rabelais rules!

Those elves are too up themselves to fart; with a dwarf, you can never tell whether it's him speaking or not. It needs a hobbit to let loose with real gusto and due satisfaction. Would have worked better if it had been in the Council of Elrond, just after "You are all bound to this one doom".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Peter Sellers is the only comedian to successfully portray the silent-but-violent fart on screen. That scene in the lift with a bunch of gangsters in one of the Pink Panther films.. anyone know which one it was?
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:08 AM   #180
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Speculation.

Do you suppose that the kife given to Aragorn by Celeborn (Lorien) was magical?

When Aragorn fights Lurtz the knife-wound he gives him to the leg seems to cause him so much more anguish than having his arm cut off!

Sarman said to the Uruk Hai "You cannot feel pain" yet Lurtz definitley felt pain from that stab in the leg

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote