Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #161
inked
Elf Lord

Speaking of Astronomy, here's a lovely bit for those of us north of the equator! A gorgeous look at the southern sky: NOCTURNAL - http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120806.html
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #162
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Goodbye, Neil Armstrong.

Thank you for that one small step, and all that came after.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #163
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

From Neil Armstrong's family:

Quote:
For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.”
To anybody under 40 years of age, going to the moon is something your ancestors did, like building pyramids.

So the question is, should governments continue to support a human space program?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #164
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Continue? I think not - except for earth-orbit, which could be used as a platform for 2 useful components of a space program, which extend beyond earth-orbit:

1. Continued scientific exploration of the solar system.

2. Development of a system that could divert or demolish asteroids or meteors which could pose a threat to the earth.

Sending people off on far-flung missions is just too cost-prohibitive. The amount of air, water, food - and other life support equipment - required for each person taking the journey would be tremendous - even with on-board recycling. And all that amounts to mass, which amounts to more rocket fuel, which amounts to larger rockets...

I suppose a third 'useful' component of a space program may be military - but that's all orbital anyway. And probably unmanned also, so beyond the scope of your question.

But as for Neil Armstong, and the others who took us to the moon a few times... I'm sure glad we did it! There's probably no need to do it any more though.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #165
Earniel

I think a human space programme is a necessity, I like to see it nicely integrated with the robotic and telescope exploration programme. But I think a manned mission to either the Moon or Mars is not in order now. I don't think we're ready yet by far for a Martian visit, and we can't learn much more right now from a manned lunar visit. We are after all still studying the data and material the first lunar missions brought back.

But I do like to maintain the human presence in orbit for which a human space programme is of course paramount. The spacestation is used in research every day, research that could not be done on earth and could not be done by robots. Therefor I'm very keen to see the successor of the Shuttle programme so our presence in orbit is maintained.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #166
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Developing human space travel is a necessity and we are (at least in this country) terribly misguided when it comes to spending money on our space program. Way too many people see it as a frivolous waste and its the farthest thing from that. Its an open ended investment of the highest order which without fail has more than paid for itself with its technology benefits right here on earth (medical, transportation, computer related, etc.). Its also the obvious choice to make when the ONLY options are MOVE BEYOND EARTH or GO EXTINCT. And we are really arguing about what to do? Really?

Colonizing Mars is an inevitability and the most important first step in our evolution to a space faring species. Terraforming can initially involve unmanned missions but we cant pull off colonization by sending endless robots there of course. So humans need to get boots on the ground ultimately. No way around it. And I dont trust private companies to have the best science perspective in mind on such a mission (they are good for things like mining asteroids and such). NASA would at least have to be involved if not in control. And if China ends up filling that niche we may find ourselves completely marginalized on this most important frontier.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #167
Earniel

Here's a short video that certainly warmed my heart: Endeavour reaching its final home. Now there's a sight the world will never see again.

I've always wished they would be able to do this for Hubble too. But alas, he's to get a cremation when he's to be decommissioned.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #168
Earniel

Somewhere, between Jupiter and Mars, if I'm not mistaken, Rosetta should be waking up from slumber.

Ten years into her voyage, and if she is still functioning correctly when she calls home, there's some interesting science to be done! Because later this year Rosetta and her onboard lander have a date with a comet. Could be very exciting stuff.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #169
Alec
Elven Warrior

Location: USA until I find ME, than I will be roaming ME on a black steed
http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/goddardVT/
This tells about how they develop and test satalites

Never insult a Tolkien freak. You won't understand their reply

Dare to be a Mormon;
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a purpose firm;
Dare to make it known.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #170
Earniel

PHILAE HAS LAAAAANDED!!!

You guys, we landed on a comet! How cool is that!?

Cool gif of the landing here.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #171
Alec
Elven Warrior

Location: USA until I find ME, than I will be roaming ME on a black steed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
PHILAE HAS LAAAAANDED!!!

I know, so cool right?
I love the Rosetta Mission, two firsts in one shot

Never insult a Tolkien freak. You won't understand their reply

Dare to be a Mormon;
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a purpose firm;
Dare to make it known.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #172
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
PHILAE HAS LAAAAANDED!!!

Way to go Europe. At least you guys are holding some of our water on space exploration...

The concept of sending a space craft into space 10 YEARS ago, have it sling shot and flutter around the solar system like a lonely gnat in such a way that its lander finally lands safely on a tiny speck of unstable rock moving at almost 40,000 mph is both mind boggling and awesome. The Smithsonian had an excellent hour long special about the whole adventure just a day after it landed. What floors me is they "put it to sleep" for 2 1/2 years before waking it up close to its target. I can only imagine the collective nervousness as they waited for a signal back after all that time!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #173
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That is so fun!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #174
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
Way to go Europe. At least you guys are holding some of our water on space exploration...
It's so weird that this is mainly an ESA mission. I keep expecting NASA scientists to comment, not ESA ones. I've been so used to see ESA closely working with NASA, but not in the lead, that I'm not used to seeing them strike out on their own. Although I think NASA did contribute some of the instruments.

Quote:
What floors me is they "put it to sleep" for 2 1/2 years before waking it up close to its target. I can only imagine the collective nervousness as they waited for a signal back after all that time!
Yes, the same thing happened with the New Horizon mission and the Cassini/Huygens mission. The devices spend such a long time travelling that it's always a guess whether they'll still function at all by the time they arrive at their destination. And then the long response time as the signal travels back to Earth will be properly nerve-wracking too.

As for Philae, thanks to the thrusters and harpoons not functioning correctly, she not only landed on an comet, but then bounced off it before settling down at possibly the worst landing site she could pick. I bet the scientists didn't see that one coming either!

Still, really exciting stuff. Interesting drill results too. And the photos! Photos taken on an actual comet, and how terrestrial it looks! My mind is pretty blown right now.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #175
Alcuin
Salt Miner

So what’s the status of the Philae lander? On all three legs, in darkness, waiting for the sun to “rise” next summer and repower the solar panels? Is that correct?

And Rosetta, the orbiter, is still operational and will remain with the comet as it passes the sun?

So the mission is basically a success, the orbiter is functioning and returning observational and tracking data, and the lander will get another stab () at the comet when summer arrives?

Is that basically situation, Entmooters who have kept better tabs?
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #176
Earniel

This is as much as I have gathered: Philae has shut down due to low power and she appears to not get enough sunlight now to recharge. But that may change as the comet comes closer to the sun, although it's difficult to predict just what will happen. Chances are she can also fry if the comet gets too hot and never gets to do another single thing.

If she does get a chance to recharge before any demise and she's functional and in contact with Rosetta who is still in contact with Earth, then yes, experiments can continue although that doesn't have to be drilling. I imagine Philae had a number of instruments and they had to pick and weigh what they could do before she ran out of steam.

Rosetta doesn't appear to have any significant damages so far and will remain with the comet for at least a year. I don't know if she will do some more science or if she's purely kept there for a possible contact with Philae. I expect the former. After that, I assume they'll evaluate their options then.

But one option I've heard is to land Rosetta on the comet too, either controlled or uncontrolled. Space agencies these days like to clean up their toys when they're done playing with them in a rather permanent fashion. It makes sense in a way, although I kind of have mixed feelings about that.

Either way, the mission is already a success, regardless of any more data the duo can generate and send afterwards.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #177
inked
Elf Lord

Speaking of sun power - http://vencoreweather.com/2015/04/30...han-a-century/

Wonder if that will affect alternative energy?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #178
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I was just getting an update on Philae/Rosetta, and came across these darling little cartoon videos!!!

Here's one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33zw...ature=youtu.be

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #179
Earniel

Awww, so cute!

As for Rosetta and Phila, they're about to reach the perihelion, the closest point to the sun in the comet's orbit. Sounds like if Philae is to wake up at all, like she did last several times a few weeks ago, now would be a good time.

Also, science!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #180
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Nothing new from Philae but the ESA Rosetta blog posted a picture in mid-September of a gas jet observed by Rosetta.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote