Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #141
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Sounds like me in 10th grade.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:59 PM   #142
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
Sounds like me in 10th grade.
yeah its a bit annoying being at school....i cant wait till i graduate

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #143
Acalewia

It's a scary time when you graduate, esp when you don't know what you'll do next now that your life has made one drastic change. it's weird imo

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #144
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
It's a scary time when you graduate, esp when you don't know what you'll do next now that your life has made one drastic change. it's weird imo
oh i have my life planned out...im taking a year off to be a horse trainer then go to school to be a vet..... and in between i'll have to find time to write and go on moot

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #145
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamuril Sirfalas
oh i have my life planned out...im taking a year off to be a horse trainer then go to school to be a vet..... and in between i'll have to find time to write and go on moot
I'm glad you have a plan TS. Cause the plan I had slipped right through the cracks

Old 06-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #146
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Don't-you're scaring me!
If anyone is interested, I found a writing contest: www.writersofthefuture.com
They're accepting Science Fiction and Fantasy stories under 17,000 words, four winners per year. The prizes are really nice, too!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #147
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Don't-you're scaring me!
What? Me? Scaring you?
Quote:
If anyone is interested, I found a writing contest: www.writersofthefuture.com
They're accepting Science Fiction and Fantasy stories under 17,000 words, four winners per year. The prizes are really nice, too!
Cool!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #148
Curubethion

I've got between one-half and one-third of my first book typed up. So far, about 130 double-spaced pages. Hopefully, I can actually find someone to get it published with. I've also written up a short story in my fantasy world; I need to get that rewritten, then I can submit it.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 06-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #149
Acalewia

*Cheers*
I'm almost finished with my Fantasy short, all I have to write is the return journey

Can't wait for it to be published

Old 06-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #150
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

ah you guys are so funny...dont worry ...eventually you will know what you want to do....i think i will check the writing contest out actually!

Old 06-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #151
Acalewia

I know what I want to do, I just need money to do it I have to want until i'm done with my orthodonics, then its BMT here I come. Hopefully I won't kill myself during it.

Anyway back on topic...

Curub, which book is this one? The one you're almost done with?

Old 06-18-2006, 10:53 PM   #152
Curubethion

The one that I'm about halfway done typing up? It's my very first book. I've already finished it.

Here's some (very brief) plot descriptions:

Golden Mail: A halfling goes wandering off with a dwarf who's suffering from a case of partial spell-induced amnesia, in order to find a suit of magical armor.

Golden Standard: A boy's father is murdered by a shadowy assassin, and a mysterious warrior leads him off on a quest for an ancient treasure of men.

Golden Blade: A gladiator-slave plans to wreak vengeance on his captors with a magic weapon.

I've finished the first two of those books, and am about halfway through the third. They take place at about the same time, and I'm planning to bring the characters from each of the three novels into another series of novels.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #153
Acalewia

The Golden Trilogy, huh?

The novel I'm working on is tentively titled Fight for Freedom I'm on Chapter 10 (or is it 11?). I think I'm going to combine and split the first two chapters. Rereading it, I noticed I wrote the same event in two different view points. Very redundint.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #154
Tuinor
Elven Warrior

Greetings, all! I'm Tuinor. I don't know if I'm really allowed to post here, so if I'm not, you can go ahead and delete this. However, I have to say that after reading what's been said in this thread I can seriously relate with a lot of the problems we've all been having (yes, I am a writer and suffer from these as well ) I would be interested in any advice anyone could give me right about now. It's really hard to find anyone off the web who can help me, or that's even interested in doing so.

Last edited by Tuinor : 06-23-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Tuinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #155
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Have no fear, Tuinor, you're allowed to post everywhere on the Entmoot, just as long as you stick to the forum rules and the thread-topic.

Welcome to the 'moot, by the way.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #156
Tuinor
Elven Warrior

Thanks, Earniel, (sorry I can't make the fancy "a" in your name ), that's good to know.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:48 AM   #157
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Hello, Tuinor! Welcome to Entmoot. We have not yet met. I am one of the semi-old-time-not-so-old-but-certainly-not-new mooters, perhaps only notable for my almost dangerous imagination, eccentricity, knowlege (esp. Physics!), but mostly my gargantuan publicity stunts, which I launch frequently and suddenly.
What exactly is the kind of writing you need help with? Though I've temporarily thrown in my fiction license, I can help you out, providing you're willing to listen to my Trollsbanist philosophies.
But really, anyone here who needs help (I'm good at wording small amounts of SciFi-related text, but large SciFi things start sounding to Fantasy-ish), let me know.
Well, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go start typing up the draft for my new book, The Maniacs Guide to Religious Publicizing, due to debut on Entmoot only. It's really for comedic purposes, more or less to at least place near Hector's Memoirs, which by the way are a great read.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #158
Tuinor
Elven Warrior

Thanks Troll's Bane. I've no problem listening to other's philosophies, and by no means think that any of my own are the only true ones. As to what I write, Fantasy and Science Fiction are my favorites. I have in Fantasy one large work in progress which I am having difficulty with, and many other smaller prodjects that orbit that large one. In Science fiction I have many ideas and a few beginnings of a story; however, I can't seem to make myself believe some of the technologies I have made up for them.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #159
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Well, that's the key. I don't write fantasy, actually; I am absolutely useless there (unless Space fantasy, a very vague and unclear genre, counts). But you've got to beleive what you're writing is possible, I know I have to. Go to a science convention, whatever helps. If you know a lot about physics and BELEIVE it like me, it really is a drag, but when I have the time I'm going to take what I've already written, burn it, and write it again so it reflects the wonder of the world I previously began without contradicting my own faith in the laws of physics. So don't do TOO much research until after you've written your last book. Just do enough so everything fits. I seem to remember a quote from a physics joke page, but it applies well here.

"Sure, I beleive Faster-Than-Light travel is possible. I just tell my students it isn't to discourage them."--Unknown
To that I add, don't let me tell you it isn't.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:41 AM   #160
Tuinor
Elven Warrior

Thanks yet again, Troll's Bane. Actually, I do know about some things when it comes to physics, especially Einstines theories of Special and General Relativity, but I'm still not up to date with what I know. What I really like to do is take things such as light speed travel and really twist the idea into something totally unheard of, like saying that when something breaks the light speed barrier then it is converted into energy, but then I take it that much further to say that as energy, that object finds itself in a completely new world where energy is like unto our matter, and our matter is like unto energy. Such ideas fascinate me.