Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2003, 04:00 PM   #101
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally posted by Harad
Remember that Gandalf held the Ring at Bag End.

Well, he picked up the envelope that contained it and put it on the mantel. Later, he threw it onto the fire, and picked it up again. That is enough to throw it into the Cracks of Doom, methinks.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:09 PM   #102
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Maybe it was a greater power. (aka Fate)

Gandalf said that Gollum still had a part to play, so maybe it wasn't an accident the way events played out after Gollum lead Frodo and Sam into Shelob's lair. Maybe Gollum was 'meant' to follow them, to attack Frodo, and to fall in the Cracks of Doom in his mad, joyous dancing.

Maybe events were 'meant' to happen the way they did the moment the Frodo and Sam set out. Actually, I'm more inclined to say the entire Quest depended largely upon the decisions of those involved, but that a greater power helped 'shape' events.

Gandalf also says that there are other forces at work in the world besides evil. Of course, he could have meant practically anything by that.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-05-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:26 PM   #103
Harad
Hobbit

Quote:
posted by Nurvingiel
Well, he picked up the envelope that contained it and put it on the mantel. Later, he threw it onto the fire,
You are cornfusing the movie with the book. In the book there was no envelope and Gandalf held the OneRing in his hand.

Quote:
Frodo took it from his breeches-pocket, where it was clasped to a chain that hung from his belt. He unfastened it and handed it slowly to the wizard. It felt suddenly very heavy, as if either it or Frodo himself was in some way reluctant for Gandalf to touch it.
Gandalf held it up. It looked to be made of pure and solid gold. ?Can you see any markings on it?? he asked.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:57 AM   #104
lacemkr90
Hobbit

Going back to an earlier response by BeardofPants, I choose the redeemtion POV. I'll even take it a step further.

As I read the LoTR everyone has the choice to do the right thing and can be redeemed no matter how far they go down the road to evil they go. Numerous characters that have turned to evil are given the opportunity to redeem themselves. Some do, other do not.

Given that, anyone could have destroyed the ring under the right circumstances. In my opinion, Gollum/Sméagol does choose to destroy the ring. (Even though the books says he was commanded to slip if he took the ring)

My reasoning goes like this:
At the beginning Gandalf says (paraphrased) that part of Gollum mind (Sméagol) is still his own even though the ring controls him and that Gollum loves and hates the ring as he also loves and hates himself. Although he is commanded by Frodo, through the ring, to throw himself into the cracks of doom if he should take it, it seems unlikely that the ring allow this to happen. What I think this command does is give his Sméagol a way to end his pain. For Sméagol he can never be rid of his desire or torment over the ring. If he gets the ring it will control him and it will very quickly become to be Sauron’s again. To end his life is the only way to end the torment. For Gollum destroying his life with the ring is the only way it will be his forever. Therefore, I choose to read it as Sméagol/Gollum subconscious slips so that his suffering will be over and he will be with the ring forever. By Frodo’s belief in Sméagol’s ability to be redeemed, he gives Sméagol the strength to follow through and destroy the ring.
lacemkr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:14 AM   #105
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Actually Attalus said that, even though I have been known to confuse the book and the movie. It's an easy thing to do.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #106
Eothain
Enting

LOTR

an elf maybe.

Where is the hand on the harpsting, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?

They have past like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning, or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Frodo lives
Eothain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:28 PM   #107
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Galadrial resisted the Ring, but she didn't have to carry it for a long period of time. No elf has been tested in that way.
Quote: