Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2003, 09:02 AM   #81
kennebecc
Hobbit

Reports from people who have seen the movie indicate that the battle is big, long, and interspersed with the hobbits quest to destroy the Ring. They're saying the the hobbits side of the tale is powerful and holds its own with the battle on the Pelennor. Which is good news.

The cuts basically represent a streamlined ROTK which concentrates solely on the battle for Middle-earth that includes the only way to stop the war is through the destruction of the Ring. Audiences seem to love it.
kennebecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 01:46 PM   #82
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I just read that the House of Healing is cut out of the theatrical version. It really is very upsetting.
sorry if off topic

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 06:26 PM   #83
kennebecc
Hobbit

Yes. But it was filmed and so it will be restored in the ROTK: SE. I know it's a bummer, but . . all the cuts are.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:41 PM   #84
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by kennebecc
It seems ages since being shocked by the Saruman cut . . here are some more:

No Voice of Saruman

No Aragorn-Sauron Confrontation via Palantir

No Crossroads

No reference to Palantir in Minas Tirith (Denethor doesn't have it)

No Ghan-Buri-Ghan, Beregond, Bergil, Ioreth, Prince Imrahil

No Gandalf-Witch King Confrontation at the Gates of MT

No Mouth of Sauron

No Houses of Healing, no Aragorn as healer

No Faramir-Eowyn romance nor wedding

No Galadriel at Aragorn/Arwen's wedding

No Scouring of the Shire

I understand that most of these scenes were filmed and will be in the Special Edition . . but, still . . .
You are wrong on half of those!

Go to imdb.com and you will see that both the Mouth of Sauron and Ghan-Buri-Ghan are on the cast list. Aragorn does defy Sauron in the Palantir from what I've read. I've also read that the Houses of Healing is in there...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:13 PM   #85
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Well that's what I originally thought - but then it seems as if what people are saying - is that he might have cut this out.

I should have said...

"I'm really disappointed IF they have cut this out."
the pelantier scene will be in rotk if you watch the rotk preview in the ttt dvd you see a little bit of a conversation between merry and pippin merry says someting like "don't you see? the enemy thinks you have the ring." so pippin and souron must see each other in the pelantier.

sorry if not connected with the houses of healing bit!

Last edited by Elessar the Elfstone : 12-01-2003 at 01:18 PM.
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:21 PM   #86
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
You are wrong on half of those!

Go to imdb.com and you will see that both the Mouth of Sauron and Ghan-Buri-Ghan are on the cast list. Aragorn does defy Sauron in the Palantir from what I've read. I've also read that the Houses of Healing is in there...
I stand corrected imdb.com has an updated cast listing and Ghan-Buri-Ghan is no longer there The Mouth of Sauron is though, and there are some other additions I didn't expect...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-01-2003, 07:04 PM   #87
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Now that Saruman has been written out of ROTK, I guess it really pulls the rug out from under BB's argument that it was necessary to show the wizard duel before Gandalf gets imprisoned in Orthanc.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:11 PM   #88
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Now that Saruman has been written out of ROTK, I guess it really pulls the rug out from under BB's argument that it was necessary to show the wizard duel before Gandalf gets imprisoned in Orthanc.
Do you REALLY think that BB will admit that jackson didn't do anything right? Surely cutting out Saruman was the absolute best decision and Jackson was pure genius - even at the risk of angering the ignorant purists who don't know anything about movie making. Anyway - it will be shoved into RotK: EE - so what is the big deal? (double )

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-01-2003 at 07:12 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #89
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Elessar the Elfstone
the pelantier scene will be in rotk if you watch the rotk preview in the ttt dvd you see a little bit of a conversation between merry and pippin merry says someting like "don't you see? the enemy thinks you have the ring." so pippin and souron must see each other in the pelantier.
Are you sure that wasn't in the preview for TTT:EE? I seem to remember those lines from the extended scene with Merry, Pippin, and the Uruks.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #90
justaregularguy
Sapling

Wow, I don't think I've ever read more "the glass is half empty" posts in one thread in my life!

At a minimum, BB is right about this: chill 'til you've at least seen the movie once. Time is a finite commodity in the cinema. For everything that's added, something must be cut.

If you see the movie and basically like everything in it but still miss the cut scenes, that, to me, validates the strategy of trimming the theatrical version and restoring the cuts in the EE. If you see the movie and consider a significant portion of it wasted filler, that's OK, too - tell us what you think should have been deleted and replaced with what.

But without the perspective of knowing what made the theatrical cut and what didn't in the context of the whole, I simply see no basis at this time for gloom and doom.

BB, you and I've gotta go get ourselves a couple of pints sometime and wax positive about the half full portion of the glass. Until then, keep your cool - it's only life, after all.

Don Juan - Tales of Power
justaregularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:07 PM   #91
kennebecc
Hobbit

>>You are wrong on half of those! Go to imdb.com and you will see that both the Mouth of Sauron and Ghan-Buri-Ghan are on the cast list. Aragorn does defy Sauron in the Palantir from what I've read. I've also read that the Houses of Healing is in there<<

All of the above 'spoilers' mentioned are coming from people who have already seen the movie.

The IMDb is a fan site not an 'official' site . . anyone can add any type of information. It is not reliable. Sorry.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #92
jerseydevil

Quote:
All of the above 'spoilers' mentioned are coming from people who have already seen the movie.

The IMDb is a fan site not an 'official' site . . anyone can add any type of information. It is not reliable. Sorry.
IMDB isn't a fan site. It's the International Movie Database. As information about movies becomes available - it goes in there. The cast may change - in which case I think it did in this case. Not just anyone can add to that information. It does have a message board now where people can discuss things - but the cast and movie information is supplied by the studios.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-02-2003, 05:35 PM   #93
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
IMDB isn't a fan site. It's the International Movie Database. As information about movies becomes available - it goes in there. The cast may change - in which case I think it did in this case. Not just anyone can add to that information. It does have a message board now where people can discuss things - but the cast and movie information is supplied by the studios.
Yup, not sure why he thought it was a fan site, oh well. But it's "Internet Movie Database" so you were close JD

And yes the cast list for RotK did change, there were a couple people listed previously who are gone and some new ones that are on there now...

--Linaewen
Old 12-02-2003, 05:47 PM   #94
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Yup, not sure why he thought it was a fan site, oh well. But it's "Internet Movie Database" so you were close JD
I knew it was "internet" - but I always say "international" for some reason.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-02-2003, 06:22 PM   #95
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Christopher Lee is a man whose opinions I respect. If he embargoed the premiere, then it wasn't just some silly actor's primadonna snit. Mr. Lee is a REAL Tolkienite, he passed up his own premiere, and I think this spells very bad news for those of us who were holding out some hope for the final film.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 12-02-2003 at 07:21 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:37 PM   #96
kennebecc
Hobbit

>>but the cast and movie information is supplied by the studios.<<

I do work in the search engine field and have done reviews on IMDB, it is a fan based website. One of the problems with the data is that it is often inaccurate.

Quote:
Internet Movie Data Base:

Who We Are
The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) was started in 1990 on the rec.arts.movies newsgroup by a group of movie fans. Before the first web browser was being widely distributed, it was a set of scripts and files that allowed you to build your own local copy of the database on your own Unix-based computer.

Since then, the IMDb has grown exponentially and also gradually become easier to use. Our goal is to be the most fun and useful resource on the internet for movie fans around the world. With our improvements in the recent redesign, we've continued to move forward with that.

In April 1998, the IMDb became a part of the Amazon.com family of companies. We are proud to be a part of Amazon.com, not because they're big or growing-fast, but because they live up to their goal of being the most customer-centered company on the internet and encourage our efforts to better serve our own visitors.
IMDb: Who we are

Last edited by kennebecc : 12-02-2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:35 PM   #97
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil: Personally I think the screenplay writers / adapters have been on one long power trip. They take arguably one of the best and most influential books of all time, and their egos tell them they can improve upon it. Sadly, in this case, their egos massively overreached their abilities.
That sums up the entire Peter Jackson farce for me.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:26 PM   #98
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
>>but the cast and movie information is supplied by the studios.<<

I do work in the search engine field and have done reviews on IMDB, it is a fan based website. One of the problems with the data is that it is often inaccurate.

IMDb: Who we are
Yes it started as a fan based site, but it is no longer...

Quote:
Of course, amazon.com wasn't coming in as a white knight, throwing money at the IMDb in an altruistic gesture. Amazon had a plan to expand into selling video tapes and DVD's, and they saw the IMDb as a resource. There was an amazing amount of raw data in our files, great expertise and talent in our staff/shareholders, and millions of potential customers in our visitor traffic. A deal was struck for the IMDb to be purchased and become an amazon.com company, finally giving the people who had worked so hard on the database a real return on all the time they had invested.

A significant core of the IMDb's shareholders stayed on after the purchase. Now that the IMDb had the financial ability to pay salaries, a few of them who had been giving evenings and weekends to the project left their day jobs and came to work on the project full-time. Others who kept their Mon-Fri jobs were put on the payroll as part-timers. More staff was hired, though at a slow pace, bringing on additional people to assist with managing the data and free up some of the staff with strong programming skills to spend more time on site improvements.

Heading into later 1998, the IMDb, with new resources, planned a significant redesign of the web interface. The data wouldn't change, but they planned to better organize the data and improve navigation. Editorial features were implemented, such as a few columns, the Movie of the Day on the front page, our "Cool Today" page and daily newsletter with a daily movie quote, a celebrity birthdays blurb, and a daily trivia question.

And now, as we look back on our recently-passed ninth birthday and forward into our tenth year, the IMDb's mission has not changed: "provide useful and up to date movie information freely available online across as many platforms as possible." Our efforts remain dedicated to being not only the best, but the most useful entity on the internet for both hardcore and casual movie fans. In our latest redesign, we have upgraded and expanded the bulletin boards we implemented in May of 1999, added new content sections to help our users get better at-a-glance access to the most popular and exciting information in the database, put more fun items right on the front page, improved our search engine for finding information in the database, and are building our most comprehensive and easy-to-understand set of online help documentation to date, the IMDb University.

The IMDb didn't start as a dream to build a business or a web site. It started as a dream to make a tool that we, as movie fans, would find really useful and fun. Over the years, millions of other movie fans have found it useful and fun too. For the original shareholders who are now privileged enough to make a living from running and maintaining it, it is one of the great examples of "do what you love and the money will follow." We consider ourselves truly blessed to be a part of it and to share it with movie fans like you. Thank you ever so much for being a part of our dream.
Yes there are fans that contribute, but it is run by people who are paid to do it, plus you also have this aspect here:

Quote:
If you work in the film industry or are an authorized representative of someone who does and are having problems updating your (or your client's) credits, there is a special guide available.
Do fans write reviews and rate the movies? Yes. Do the fans give them the cast listings and things like that? No.

--Linaewen
Old 12-03-2003, 06:09 PM   #99
kennebecc
Hobbit

>>Do the fans give them the cast listings and things like that<<

Yes. The point is that anyone can add cast and crew listings down to every single extra that walks on the set.

This is a fan driven site. This is not a film industry site. This is not to say that for marketing purposes a professional might not give out some information. But, that is not where they get the information that drives IMDb.

How to Add Information to the IMDb

It will be interesting to match the IMDb list with the official cast list once it's released. I've noticed that IMDb has constantly changed the list for the past year . . one that I know is incorrect is Baby Gamgee . . a baby does not appear in the movie . . only Alexandra Astin as Elanor Gamgee makes an appearance. They did get Eldarion right though.

Last edited by kennebecc : 12-03-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:41 PM   #100
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Oh, hooo-leee, freeeekin' hannah!

NO confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch King at the gates of Minas Tirith?

Please oh please oh please don't tell me they wrote in a dragon.....or sent Sauron hisse'f to the gates of Minas Tirith....

And if they pull Sauron out onto the Morannon, I am going to throw something at the screen!!!!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote