Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2002, 11:10 PM   #81
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

yes, i think that it is sad when people bet on animals, and use intaligent knids of animals as insults, like saying that someone is as stupid as a dog, and meaning it in a bad way! good things that animals probaly do not understand us! that would be so sad!

i love my animals, and even though sometimes i joke about not wonting my cat, if it got right down to getting rid of it, i would change my mind!

and imagine the animals, they have fillings to! like, imagine being in a pound and allways hearing other dogs bark 24/7 and being trapped in this small little cage that allows you to turn around, but that is just about all. and not being able to get "mommy" to take you for a long walk every day, and not being able to get a nice petting, and not being able to sleep in a warm cozy bed! i couldn't imagine that, b/c i am a human, and i live in a loving, ceering family (most of the time) that would never bring me to the "pound"

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:34 AM   #82
Sicirus
Elf Lord

I agree.
We should respect them. for they have the right for respect as much as we do.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:00 AM   #83
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I agree with Bregalad. I could not imagine dumping my dog, I love her so much! I go to the pound sometimes and just pat and talk to the lost dogs. It is so sad. I wish people would think before buying a dog. Most dogs die from euthanasia, rather than car accidents and old age. It just shouldn't happen. People need to be responsible about breeding as well. I think all dogs should be steralized (except if responsible people want to breed them). My dog was spayed at 6 monthes and though it was painful, I have never regretted it.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:30 AM   #84
Sicirus
Elf Lord

My familly adopted a rescue dog from an old lady. Who lived in an appartment and would tie him to a chaire because he was so hiper. Stupid lady!
Old 08-08-2002, 07:28 PM   #85
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I wish I could have a pet, now, but they aren't allowed in the dorms, except for fish. But the resident director has a cat and a ferret. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 09:16 PM   #86
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

This is a very cool thread. I love animals and I am so enjoying all of your wonderful comments! Sicirus, I promised myself that I can't have a dog until I get a house and a yard, but when I do get one I plan to go right to the Greyhound adoption groups. I don't know about dog racing, so I don't have an opinion on whether it is cruel. I live within 5 miles of Louisville's Churchill Downs horse track. And honestly, I don't think the racing itself is cruel. Horses like to work, they like to have a job just like most people. They get the best diets, medical attention, exercise areas and homes that money can buy. They love to race and I love seeing them. Horses are outdated now, few people use them for work of any sort, and few people can afford to keep them for personal use. If there was no racing, there would be so few horses left in our country. And I do so love to go see them. However it is shameful how some of these animals are treated after their racing days are over. I don't think it's the fault of the racing, I think it's just like those people I was talking about the other day that got rid of their dog because it wasn't convinient. After a horse has worked for it's owner, and won money for them, they should be responsible for it for the rest of it's life. Not just have it put down when it is through with it's carreer, or suffered an injury. Not all owner's do that. Many retire them to live out their lives on a farm, or put them up for adoption. Some even go to great expense to heal their horses injuries when less concerned owners would have them destroyed. I followed the carreer of a horse named Sarena's Song. She broke her leg very badly. Against all odds, her owner dedicated himself to healing her despite the expense and time involved. (she spent months in a body sling to keep her weight off her leg.) Not only did she heal, she thrived, and eventually was able to continue racing and winning! So I don't blame the sport, I blame the owners, and I wish they could all be made to be more accountable for the lives put into their care. Bless Sarena's Song's owner for setting a brilliant example of how a hard working horse should be treated. He took care of his horse, even though he thought she would never race again! She proved him wrong and showed the world what a little love and respect can do!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 12:31 PM   #87
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Thats true, the sport is not ba. Greyhounds usually get spoiled when they are not racing and are in their kennels waiting but when they retire though they become adopted or killed or experimented on.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:15 PM   #88
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

We had some scary news today. We had to rush our ferret, pixie to the vet. We thought she had eaten something she shouldn't and her intestines had gotten blocked. (Ferrets love to chew rubber but it's bad for them, and if they get blocked it can kill them.) Two days ago, she was her usual fierce little self. (well, she thinks she's fierce, but she's really just cute!) She had been drinking water like a fiend yesterday, but we noticed she was all dehydrated today, and she wouldn't eat. So we rushed her to the vet, and she ended up having surgery today. We found out she hadn't eaten anything bad! She wasn't blocked from a foreign object. Her stomache twisted and blocked itself up! The vet said her stomache was 13 times the size it should be, but there was mostly water in there, and the little bit of food she ate.
The vet said he had seen this happen in dogs, but never a ferret. Have any of you run into this type of thing? Remember all you ferret lovers, laxatone is your friend, and if your ferret gets dehydrated (when you scruff your ferret, the skin should snap very quickly into place with a well hydrated ferret) or stops eating, get it to the vet right away!
The vet said pixie came through her surgery very well, but she isn't out of the woods yet. Please everyone, think some happy thoughts for her!

Old 08-09-2002, 07:02 PM   #89
princess-arwen
Sapling

Pets, at the moment I have 3 goldfish! I dont have a thing for fish just got them in my bedroom to help me relax We also have a tom cat "Mopsey" oh and a rat (who I hate coz its bitten me twice on my eye!) called "Domino".

In the past i've had a gerbil, 2 rabbits and countless hamsters.

Now more than anything in the world I would love to have a white bengal tiger cub to raise, I love tigers and it is my destiny to own one at some point in my life

If you like tigers to visit my site for pics their stunning!!

[edit] >>>>> Click on tigers on the bar!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:22 PM   #90
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
My cat is getting really old. She has matted hair all over her belly because she can't clean herself as well, and she just looks scraggly. She's starting to look more like a rat that a cat.
My friend's cat happens to be very, very pregnant. Pudgy kitty!
Old 08-10-2002, 03:06 PM   #91
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

hey, i have a question, and if my family dose not find an answer, then my mommy is thretning us that she will get rid of the cat (wich i don't think she will end up doing, but, just in case!)

my cat loves to go outside, and so we let her outside when we are there to, but ones we leave, if she is still outside, she sometimes wonts to come in! so she scraches at the screen door, wich we leave open to let fresh air in, and makes wholes in it. This really conserns my mom b/c we just bilt a new house a couple of monthes ago and moved in! is there anything that we can do stop him from chewing on/ scraching the screen? note: if we got him inside, then the cat would still try to break it to go back outside! HELP! PLEASE, I LOVE MY KITTY CAT! did i say that i loved him? the truth comes out!

FRODO LIVES!
Old 08-10-2002, 11:56 PM   #92
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Bregalad i hope you'r ferret gets well soon. i was really sad to see my dog go. I could not even stay in the house when he was dying.

Give you'r ferret a kiss for me.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:41 AM   #93
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Thanks Sicirus, I'll give her a kiss right on her little shaved tummy! She's awful tired from the surgery, but so far she's doing well. I'm so sorry about your dog, it's so hard to lose our furry friends. Pixie is just a baby, it's hard to see such a little thing hurting so.

samwiselvr2008, there is a couple things you can try, but cat's are notorious for scratching screens, they don't understand why they can smell outside and not get there. Cat's hate alluminum foil, you can cover the screen temporarily until it breaks the habit, but it might start up again. You can also buy things at the pet store that cat's don't like the smell of. Those are especially to keep cat's from doing something they shouldn't.
But what I recomend most is to put a squirt gun filled with water near the door. Anytime you catch her scratching it squirt her! Cats hate this, and it's a great training method. That's how I trained my cats to stay off the tables and kitchen counters. But you have to catch them in the act. Squirting after the fact just confuses them, they don't know why they are being punished. And if you use this method to train your cat, make sure nobody squirts her for a joke, only do it when she is in the act of doing the behavior you want her to stop.
Good luck!

Old 08-11-2002, 01:10 PM   #94
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I don't know whether it's possible at your house, samwiselvr2008 but you might try installing a cat-door. That way the cat can come in and out as she pleases and it'll keep her from scratching.

When you decide to train her not to scratch by the methods Bregalad suggested I think you should remember to be consequent about it. The cat most link scratching with water, otherwise she won't stop. It's not easy. We've tried for 2 years now to teach our cat not the scratch the wallpaper. The problem is that we don't always catch him. Cat repellent is a solution but the downside is that the smell vanishes after a day so it have to be re-applied day after day until the cat knows it.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:04 PM   #95
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

We could get a cat door, but for some reason, not with the house, but a different reason, my mom dose not wont to get one! I think that she is afraid that stray cats will come in, and the ones that will only let our cat in are to expensive.

Thank you Bregalad, I'll try the foul thing, I think that we already tried the smelly thing though! thanks a lot!

FRODO LIVES!

Last edited by samwiselvr2008 : 08-11-2002 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:10 PM   #96
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
My friend's pregnant cat is now the mother to eight kittens. She gave birth to eleven, but three of them died.

My cat, on the other hand, had to have her belly shaved today, and now she looks much skinnier. She had mats all over her belly because she can't clean herself very well anymore. We also trimmed off a lot of her hair, but not her tail. Her tail is about as wide as the rest of her. LoL.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:14 AM   #97
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
We could get a cat door, but for some reason, not with the house, but a different reason, my mom dose not wont to get one! I think that she is afraid that stray cats will come in, and the ones that will only let our cat in are to expensive.
I hadn't thought of that. Are there many strays in your neighbourhood? We've had an ordinary cat door for 12 years now and only once had trouble with a stray cat who came in and ate our cat's food and sprayed around our door. We made that guy very, very sorry. We can regulate our cat door to :'both ways','only in', 'only out' or 'closed'. We put in on 'only in' one night. Don't worry, we didn't hurt him but no doubt we scared the living daylights out of him. We um... relocated him to a wood on the other side of the road. We never had trouble again.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:35 AM   #98
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You can get special cat doors that have magnets on them, so that only the cat wearing a collar with the magnet in it, can open the door.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:14 PM   #99
AngusThermopile
Sapling

I love dogs, wouldn't be without them. Never really had any other type of pet except gerbils when i was very young. All my life there have been dogs, all of them boxers. Can't say what is so special, maybe it's unconditional love. Maybe their dependance.

Most likely the fun and crazy caracters they have. They've all been special too me.

You can see pics of them all here if you want - http://www.jasidog.com/dogs.php

I've been meaning to update the page for an age as some of the dogs are woefully under represented. Still i'll get round to it eventually.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:57 PM   #100
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

hi. i've got a question to ask any cat lovers out there and i figured this was the right place to post it in.

has anyone noticed that if you tickle a cat on its back right near to the base of its tail that it sort of falls over? i know that sounds a bit cruel but its completely harmless!honest! i was just wondering if it was just my cats or wether it happened on all cats. please let me know!