Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2002, 01:51 PM   #81
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
... Then construct a scatter graph and work out the margin of error.
...then do an applet that implements the algorithm and links-up with the entmoot software engine so that we can have a real-time mapping of that decline as new mooters register.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 02:03 PM   #82
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

you are sick and I LOVE IT

LOL

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 02:09 PM   #83
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Location: only after 11pm and in an altered state of conciousness
Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I can' t really say what Entmoot was like before December. I think I had stopped by several times just to read - but I didn't actually sign up until December.

I go into the archives to get information about what was going on before - I found this dated July 29, 2000 - almost two years ago. It was posted by Tater.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A pledge to Entmoot

I've been a jerk lately, especially here at entmoot. When the board first started I was the mean admin, since I felt it was nesecary since anduin and Ben weren't. I realized I was wrong and stopped being mean for a while. Just recently I started enforcing rules that don't really matter and I've just been a jerk about it. I've been under a lot of stress lately, but that's not your faults and I shouldn't take it out on you. I'm gonna stop. Unless someone's braking a rule hurts anyone (minus starting add threads, that hurts the server ) I'm not gonna enforce rules that are unnesecary. I'd especially like to issue a public apology to anduin, who I think I really hurt recently. I'm sorry, and I promise to try my best to do better. From now on I'll be a changed Tater (that sounds funny). Tell me if I'm a jerk, I'll try my best not to be. This place should be fun, and I'll do my best to make sure it is!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On that point I am utterly speechless.

As to whether the 'Moot is declining I really could not say. I've only been here since Jaunary and I went away for a bit. So I don't know what this place was like before the film came out. It looks like it could be a good board. I don't think the quality of the discussions here matter. It's up to you and what you make of it. If you want a particularly high-brow debate go and have one.

But myself and the two friends I brought with me, Griff andEd came here from SlipstreamBBS, mainly because, at that time, we needed a break from that board. There'd been problems. At least one forum had disolved into something bordering on a flamewar, mainly because several months previously, Robert Hewitt Wolfe had been sacked from his position as Executive Producer of Andromeda. It was just too depressing to be there.

OTOH I don't feel the same sense of camaraderie here that I do at Slipstream. It's a community. Maybe it's because I haven't been here as long or as often. Maybe it's something else. But I have often wondered why I go back to Slipstream. And then I realise I've made life-long friends there.

I'd really like to see that happen here. Maybe it will. Then again maybe it's down to me.

Mod of Mirkwood forum at:
http://pub28.ezboard.com/bmiddleearth99434

Self Proclaimed Lady Of General Messages, Minx of the 'Moot and semi-retired Official Flirt Of The Slipstream, Discipula Lenta and Warrior Priestess of the Wayists. Queen of Dramatic Tension in many RPs.

In the process of setting up a new SF/Fantasy based fanzine. I want Fanfic, short stories, poetry, filks, reviews, artwork, anything you've got really but most of all IDEAS!!!!. You write it I'll take a look at it.

At the moment I can't pay for submissions but all contributors will recieve a complimentary copy and I am confident that I will be able to pay one day.

Please PM me if you have anything.

Never but never buy a computer from TIME. If you want to know why please ask.

Andromeda fans check out:

http://www.slipstreambbs.com/
Lady Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 05:01 PM   #84
Darth Tater
The man

Actually, we've got quite a good community here IMO. I know I've made some lifelong friends, and I know other groups of people who have as well.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 05:21 PM   #85
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I would agree with Tater, though I am relatively new. . .entmoot is a really great place.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 11:43 PM   #86
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I take it all back. What's with all the trolls, bad spelling, caps lock happy, lacunae over usage, redundant threads, polls, and un-thought provoking replies/threads, and dare I say it, spam?
Old 09-02-2002, 11:52 PM   #87
Ben
Retired Ent

I'm working on it.

Would you recommend a moratorium on new poll topics for awhile? (Favorite rug color and method of destruction are certainly pushing it )

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 11:57 PM   #88
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Have I thanked the mods, and admins for all their hard work lately? You guys do a great job running this site. It's just a pity that it has to be overrun by morons.

I think the moratorium would be a great idea. Yes/no threads are really just a waste of space.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:08 AM   #89
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

I think the moratorium would be a great idea. Yes/no threads are really just a waste of space.
I agree. Threads that promote no discussion are a waste of webspace and bandwidth. "Yes/No - one line reply" threads are dead after about 5-10 posts and just take up disk space.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:13 AM   #90
Duddun
I Antha

They do just take up disk space.

Last edited by Duddun : 09-03-2002 at 12:14 AM.
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 04:33 PM   #91
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I don't believe in the closing of threads. If they're pointless yes-no or outright bashing members/mods/admin things, they should be deleted, I tell you, deleted!

You should only close threads if they were long, classics that ran off topic and such.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 04:42 PM   #92
Ben
Retired Ent

There are several reasons why closed threads should remain in existence, at least for awhile:

1. So the person who started the thread can see his error. Otherwise we'd get another thread saying "Hey, what happened to my topic?"
2. As an example to other people. If a thread is closed and someone is banned for flaming, people will realize the rules are actually enforced.
3. As evidence. Sometimes the mods discuss what to do about a particular member, and if his rampage is still preserved, the mods who were perhaps not there that day can still see what went on.

I am deleting some old, closed posts now, though. I noticed that when a post is deleted, those posts no longer count towards the users' post totals, so if you've wondered why your total went down, that's why. Several people had quite a large dip after Calvinball bit the dust .

Old 09-03-2002, 04:46 PM   #93
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Yeah, leave them up for a while. But delete them when they fall onto the second page.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:06 PM   #94
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

How much work will be needed to implement a rating system, based on the quality of individual posts?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:21 PM   #95
Ben
Retired Ent

Do you mean rating users or posts?

Either way, spammers could just register additional usernames to increase the ratings of themselves and their posts.

Old 09-03-2002, 06:48 PM   #96
Sween
im quite stupid

i think im to blame. Damn that film attracting people who would of never of thought of reading a book

im soooooo happy tonight
Old 09-03-2002, 08:10 PM   #97
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I am tierd of hearing stuff about spelling ect.!

I am so tired of it! At first I was joking around with it, but please, it isn't that I don't ceer, its that I CAN NOT SPELL! I have heard you complaine about this so many times, it is really getting anoying! I have anjoyed this site though, it has ben grate for me, most sites I go to are allot worse, and well, I am just happy that this site is open to diffrent beliefs, and people. I am glad to be hear, and it gets me mad that people would think less of me, just because I only have 200 and something posts, and I just came a couple months back, and finally because I am bad at spelling! I think that you should all be happy whene more people come, and if you hate bad spelling, then maybe you can just try to agnor it or somthing, that really is starting to anoy me! Please, stop telling me how much I am making this site worse because I am a bad speller, I have said this before, and I will say it again, I CAN NOT SPELL! As I have allso have mentioned, I have tried lots of stuff to get better at spelling, and it hasn't helped me, I have tried things that some of you would probally never think about spelling, like writing words in salt, to see if that would help! You should be happy for new posts, and more opinions, I would be, and I am! So please stop getting mad at me, I know that I can't spell good, but can you stop telling me that? I have tried, and the truth is that I have just given up trieing to learn how to spell.

By the way, my teacher ones told me that some people, it has been scientificly proven can NOT spell, and some people can, so can you please stop? I know that I can't spell, so stop reminding me! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:51 PM   #98
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I understand Samwiselvr2008. Truely, I do. It's ok with me.

Last edited by Lizra : 09-03-2002 at 09:10 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:19 PM   #99
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Samwiseluvr, you definately aren't the worst offender, and you're not a troll or a spammer, who I find the most annoying. You also noted that you have been attempting to improve your spelling, and while not perfect, it is better.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:51 PM   #100
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Samwise: It doesn't really bother me that you can't spell.

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but did someone modify entss88 (or whatever it is) status?