Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-01-2002, 12:23 PM   #81
Celebrian
Enting

I think that Sam could only have destroyed it if he had only had the ring for a short time. I doubt even Elrond or Aragorn could have destroyed it after having it for as long as Frodo did. Depending on what type of person you are it would obviously take a different amount of time for you to get to the point where you can no longer destroy the ring. Borimir probably wouldhave been unable to destroy it even if he had only got the ring at the top of Mount Doom.

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 11:32 PM   #82
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
I think that Sam could only have destroyed it if he had only had the ring for a short time. I doubt even Elrond or Aragorn could have destroyed it after having it for as long as Frodo did. Depending on what type of person you are it would obviously take a different amount of time for you to get to the point where you can no longer destroy the ring. Borimir probably wouldhave been unable to destroy it even if he had only got the ring at the top of Mount Doom.
Boromir wanted to use the ring against Sauron - I don't think he would have taken it to Mount Doom if he had the choice.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:33 AM   #83
Harad
Hobbit

The key to destroying the Ring according to JRRT was to have the right person and the right circumstances. Many posts have tried to link the two.

Frodo in the story was the right person but in the wrong circumstances. He was so weakened by the Quest that he no longer had the strength. However, give the Ring to Sam at the summit, and IMO the Ring goes down. Same with Aragorn, Faramir, Gandalf, Legolas, or Gimli. Probably even Pippin or Merry. Thats why the Fellowship existed...to collectively get the Ring destroyed. Otherwise, Elrond could have just sent Frodo. After all it was a "hopeless" task, wasn't it?

Sauron was a powerful Maiar, but again as has been pointed out, he was defeated many times. Back in the First Age he was defeated by an Elf, Luthien. In the Second Age, by the Elf and Men of the Last Alliance. In the Third Age by Hobbits.

A question to be asked is whether Sauron + Ring were more powerful than Sauron Pre-Ring. The answer is probably yes, since Sauron drew into the Ring power from the Elven smith who made the other Rings.

Still the key is that Sauron with or without the Ring was not the Ultimate Unconquerable Evil. Clearly. Therefore the Ring could be willingly destroyed, by the right person under the right circumstances.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:02 AM   #84
entss89
lord of the ents

Treebeard hi

thats a good ? and i think that frodo could have done it, but i also think sam could have done it!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:34 AM   #85
Sween
im quite stupid

Re: hi

Quote:
Originally posted by entss89
thats a good ? and i think that frodo could have done it, but i also think sam could have done it!
frodo could not do it. No one can willingly destroy the ring its that simple
Old 09-02-2002, 11:11 AM   #86
entss89
lord of the ents

hi

yeh they could because if a ugly gollum could do it then frodo could have done it!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 11:44 AM   #87
Harad
Hobbit

Quote:
frodo could not do it. No one can willingly destroy the ring its that simple
"simple" is right.

JRRT in his Letters says that Frodo could not destroy the Ring, under those circumstances.

A little bit of reading between the lines shows that the "simple" answer is just...well..."simple."
Old 09-02-2002, 10:09 PM   #88
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Apart from what Harad said, Frodo had the chance to destroy the ring and he didn't!

Quote:
yeh they could because if a ugly gollum could do it then frodo could have done it!
Gollum didn't mean to destroy the ring, he accidently fell into Mount Doom.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:46 PM   #89
Nilvasaien
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Harad
[B]

JRRT in his Letters says that Frodo could not destroy the Ring, under those circumstances.
If anyone would know, it would be Professor T.

cassiopeia stated:

Quote:
Gollum didn't mean to destroy the ring, he accidently fell into Mount Doom
I can't believe Gollum intended to destroy his "precious". He acted out of greed, lust, desperation, to prevent Frodo from taking what Gollum perceived to be his.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:58 PM   #90
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
beware of clumsiness!

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 12:27 AM   #91
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Nilvasaien
I can't believe Gollum intended to destroy his "precious". He acted out of greed, lust, desperation, to prevent Frodo from taking what Gollum perceived to be his.
]

And yet Tolkien pursued the idea of Gollum perhaps being able to redeem himself in an alternative ending, if he'd had time to do so.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:11 AM   #92
Beruthiel
Hobbit

Well, if I think like Gollum, I might want to run off with the Ring: "Okay. I 've got it. Now I'm being followed by Wraithes and Orcs, and Hobbits, and Men, HELP HELP HELP! I just want my little hole in the ground and to be aloooone! (Once hidden) still scared...evil baddies come to get me, no one in the world to help me, no one loves poor Smeagol...Okay, I give in! I'll destroy it! Rather than live in fear again, I'd destroy it! To get back at the EYE, I'll destroy it!"
Hum that bit of character playing seems to follow a distinct line. Out of fear and vengance for his lost life, Gollum might be driven to destroy it. But could he? Did he have the strength left in his body to carry the Ring up Mount Doom?
Was Frodo just a physical mule, to drag it up there?
This opens more questions than it answers!
What do you think?

Last edited by Beruthiel : 09-04-2002 at 02:13 AM.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 02:20 AM   #93
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, it does.

I think Tolkien was playing it from the redeeming POV though. Like how he almost redeemed himself with Frodo, but then Sam accused him. Plus there was the weight of years upon him. By that time he'd already been stretched vastly beyond his years. Perhaps, this "tiredness" would have allowed him to throw it away. And finally, there is Sauron: perhaps his hatred of Sauron, his awareness of the power of dominion (by Sauron) and his being manhandled by him would have fueled the need to destroy the ring. If he'd had the time; which is doubtful with the nazgul wheeling in towards Mt. Doom.

I really would like to think that he could have done it eventually though. It would have been neat to see Smeagol given a chance to go to the havens after redeeming himself. I have such pity for him.

(Forgive me if this post makes no sense; my coffee supply just ran out...)

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-04-2002 at 02:22 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 05:50 AM   #94
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I really would like to think that he could have done it eventually though. It would have been neat to see Smeagol given a chance to go to the havens after redeeming himself. I have such pity for him.
It indeed would have been neat and rather interesting.

Perhaps if he had more time he might have realised that he would never be able to take preciousssss away from the mountain. I wonder whether he would have destroyed then just to keep it from Sauron.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:11 AM   #95
Harad
Hobbit

In the story we know, Frodo did not have a real chance to destroy the Ring because he had been damaged too much by the journey to Mount Doom. JRRT says this explicitly.

I agree with Eärniel and BeardofPants that Gollum, given a different opportunity might have destroyed the Ring, but solely to keep it from Sauron. Gollum displayed incredible strength and perserverance to make it to Mt Doom despite both Good and Evil being against him.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:58 PM   #96
Darkraven
Sapling

two pence worth

This is a very interesting question, and after reading through all of the messages, I am surprised to see that, in regards to Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel being able to destroy the ring, no one has brought up (to the best of my knowledge) the fact that all three of them are not sure exactly what will happen to their own rings when the One ring is destroyed. I am sure that if any of them were at the Mt. Doom that question of "what would become of the power of their own rings?" would be used by the one ring. Elrond is fairly sure that the three elven rings would lose their power, and he would be heavily tempted by the desire to maintain the glory of Rivendell, which would probably be lost if the One Ring was destroyed. Therefore, I think that none of them would be able to cast it away, because the Ring would be able to present them with a very powerful temptation, both of its own power and of the power of the Elven rings that they all possess. And in regards to having one of the Valar destroy it, that question is pointless, because the Ring's destiny is bound up in the middle earth, and "land across the sea" would have nothing to do with it (so says gandalf in the counsil of elrond). Well, thats my two-pence.
Darkraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 11:18 PM   #97
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

An excerpt from the introduction of my edition of the Silmarillion:
Quote:
Also great was the Ring's power of lust, that anyone who used it became mastered by it; it was beyond the strength of any will (even his [Sauron's] own) to injure it, cast it away, or neglect it.
I believe this can also be found in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien no. 131.

From the sound of this, if you didn't put on the Ring, you might be able to destroy it. If you did put it on, you wouldn't be able to hurt it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 02:02 PM   #98
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

The ring controls you. It uses its power to make you feel like it belongs to you.It's yours. NO ONE can have it. Its your preciousssss....
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:14 AM   #99
Harad
Hobbit

Re: two pence worth

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkraven
Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel being able to destroy the ring, no one has brought up (to the best of my knowledge) the fact that all three of them are not sure exactly what will happen to their own rings when the One ring is destroyed. I am sure that if any of them were at the Mt. Doom that question of "what would become of the power of their own rings?" would be used by the one ring. ...Therefore, I think that none of them would be able to cast it away, because the Ring would be able to present them with a very powerful temptation, both of its own power and of the power of the Elven rings that they all possess.
I don't believe this is true. Elrond would have had the Elvish Ring from Gil-galad after the Last Alliance. Cirdan was there as well with another Elvish Ring. Yet, they both counseled Isildur to destroy the OneRing. As long as none of them wore it, the Ring would not be able to overcome their wills.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:13 PM   #100
diannah
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee

Personally, I think Aragorn could have because he has a strong character but I don't he would because he wouldn't be sure of himself because he is Isildor's heir. Mind you I'm not saying that would affect anything. Gandalf might be able to, but again wouldn't trust himself because he's so powerful. I think Sam could, not to be biased or anything. I think he could do it because the whole time he'd be thinking about his master and probably wouldn't give a second thought to the ring. The only other person I could picture doing it would be maybe Merry. I don't know why, but I just think he could do it. Anyway to make it simple I think it would take a hobbit or perhaps an Elf.
diannah is offline   Reply With Quote