Old 06-07-2003, 07:37 PM   #81
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Sam beat Shelob.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 07:58 PM   #82
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I think that had more to do with his fierce loyalty to Frodo, and the divine (or angelic) intervention of Elbereth than with his skill.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 09:23 PM   #83
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn_iz_cool
Sam beat Shelob.
I knew you were going to say that!
Okay then, what if I put forth the notion that Boromir could have killed Shelob, too? Anyone agree with that?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #84
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
The truth is they could all have killed Shelob (including Merry and Pippin)! But Shelob would have tried to hide from the Warrior's with bright swords - she only attacked Frodo and Sam because she thought they were easy prey.

Sam's success with Shelob does not justify him being ranked a better swordsman than Boromir. Against any significant swordsman his short hight and equally short sword would have been too much of a handicap. That doesn't mean Sam couldn't have been a valiant warrior (he played his part in the Battle of Bywater) but he wouldn't have been counted amongst the great swordsman of the Age, unlike Boromir, Captain of Gondor and Heir to the Steward.
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 02:00 PM   #85
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

How could just anyone kill Shelob? She's an evil creature that's been around since the first age. She's devoured both Men and Elves. I seem to remember that none could rival her and none could ever escape her web.

But, because Sam killed her, I wouln't necessarily rank him as the best.

I'd say Aragorn.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:31 AM   #86
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Quote:
How could just anyone kill Shelob? She's an evil creature that's been around since the first age. She's devoured both Men and Elves. I seem to remember that none could rival her and none could ever escape her web.
Ah no, Elvengirl, I didn't say "anyone could kill Shelob", I said "they could all have killed Shelob" meaning those we are ranking as top swordsman (Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir or Eomer) and those who we have been adding to the list (heros of the First Age, Members of the Fellowship and Eowyn). Unless you think there is one of these who could not have killed Shelob if they had to?

Other, lesser warriors might have got lucky, but we all agree Shelob was a vicious and nasty opponent and most would have perished with their veins full of her venom
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."

Last edited by LutraMage : 06-09-2003 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:28 PM   #87
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl

But, because Sam killed her, I wouln't necessarily rank him as the best.

I'd say Aragorn.
Sam is not the best swordman just becuase he killed Shelob. You have to practice a lot if you want to be a great swordman. Shelob? I didn't think she was that strong, though she was the last of Ungoliant's borns (pretty impresive. But she wasn't Ungoliant, and I'm sure she was much weaker if Sam wounded her). I think Boromir could've beat Sam easily - it's obvious he's a better swordman.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 04:45 PM   #88
Gwaimir Windgem

I don't think that the fact that Sam beat Shelob had anything to do with how powerful she was. It seemed to me that Samwise had Elbereth on his side, and She helped him to defeat Shelob.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-09-2003, 05:59 PM   #89
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Alright, so myebe Boromir WAS better swordsman then Sam, but he wasn't as good as Imrahil, Eomer, Aragorn, Eowyn, or Faramir.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:08 PM   #90
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Then you have to remember that it wasn't Sam's strength that got Shelob in the end- it was her own:

"But Shelob was not as dragons are, no softer spot had she save only her eyes. Knobbed and pitted with corruption was her age-old hide, but ever thickened from within with layer on layer of evil growth. The blade scored it with a dreadful gash, but those hideous folds could not be pierced by any strength of men, not though Elf of Dwarf should forge the steel or the hand of Beren or of Turin wield it. . . . and so Shelob, with the driving force of her cruel will, with strength greater than any warrior's hand, thrust herself upon a bitter spike."

So I don't think swordsmanship really had anything to do with winning that fight.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:46 PM   #91
Gwaimir Windgem

A very good point, and well-made, Rosie. So it was in actuality that SHELOB was on Sam's side...from a certain point of view.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-09-2003, 07:44 PM   #92
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Very true Rosie and Sam had the advantage of sizer to get under her.

Quote:
Originally posted by LutraMage
Unless you think there is one of these who could not have killed Shelob if they had to?
If there was a match between even the best swordsman and Shelob, I'm not even sure that he could beat her. I think it would be a pretty close match, but then as Rosie pointed out it wasn't skill with the sword that defeated her. I'd say Shelob would have the advantage.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:56 AM   #93
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Quote from Elvengirl
Quote:
If there was a match between even the best swordsman and Shelob, I'm not even sure that he could beat her. I think it would be a pretty close match, but then as Rosie pointed out it wasn't skill with the sword that defeated her. I'd say Shelob would have the advantage.
Good point, well made - I guess we can agree that Sam, due to his height, courage and love of Frodo was uniquely placed to kill Shelob, and that the others might well not have been able to kill her without great luck no matter how strong they were or how good a swordsman, but that Sam's fateful meeting with this evil creature does not reflect any particular skill as a swordsman on his behalf. Is that okay with you?

Last edited by LutraMage : 06-10-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:21 PM   #94
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originalluy posted by GW
A very good point, and well-made, Rosie. So it was in actuality that SHELOB was on Sam's side...from a certain point of view.
I knew that.

Quote:
originally posted by A iz C
Alright, so myebe Boromir WAS better swordsman then Sam, but he wasn't as good as Imrahil, Eomer, Aragorn, Eowyn, or Faramir.
You mean that Boromir is not as good swordman as Eomer, Eowyn, etc.?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:28 PM   #95
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by LutraMage
Quote from Elvengirl

Good point, well made - I guess we can agree that Sam, due to his height, courage and love of Frodo was uniquely placed to kill Shelob, and that the others might well not have been able to kill her without great luck no matter how strong they were or how good a swordsman, but that Sam's fateful meeting with this evil creature does not reflect any particular skill as a swordsman on his behalf. Is that okay with you?
I completely agree

Old 06-10-2003, 10:06 PM   #96
Gwaimir Windgem

Don't forget the Elvish invocation, where he uttered words he knew not. And of course, probably the deciding factor was Shelob's own terrible strength, and grotesque weight.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-10-2003, 10:10 PM   #97
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Don't forget the Elvish invocation, where he uttered words he knew not. And of course, probably the deciding factor was Shelob's own terrible strength, and grotesque weight.
Oh, of course, I had that in mind the whole time

Old 06-11-2003, 08:57 AM   #98
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
Oh, of course, I had that in mind the whole time
Me too, honest!