Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-23-2000, 05:42 AM   #81
arynetrek

tree-hugging

"If we damage our Mother Earth irreparably, we will not have to wait for the revenge of a mere nation: our world will take care of the job in short order and we will have the chance to walk the same path as that walked by the dinosaurs." i agree - ever heard of the Gaia theory?

as for nukes, i'm not going to get into whether the 2 used on Japan were necessary or not, but the idea of them bothers me. they don't just kill the band of enemies they're designed for, they also kill many more through the fallout. their pollution in the groudn & air (which all nations share) lasts for centuries (or longer) & affects all of us, as well as the plants & animals we share this planet with. as a couple of people have already said, sometimes it is necessary to kill a lot of soldiers quickly to end a war, but i don't think it's necessary to do so in such a destructive way. and i don't think it's necessary to condemn innocents to radiation poisoning or burning
in the flashfires.

aryne *

Old 07-23-2000, 04:45 PM   #82
Shanamir Duntak

Re: tree-hugging

Well said...

2 Juntel: Ce qui me dérange, c'est les immigrants qui apprenent l'anglais et ne se forçent jamais pour apprendre le français. Et en plus de ça ils viennent te dire de leur parler en anglais, dans ton pays, ta province! Le pire c'est Ã* MTL

HA HA HA! I laugh at all those who cannot understand what I've said! learn french!

And that's why Canada Rulez (In fact it does not... QuÉbEc RULEZ!!)

Old 07-23-2000, 07:54 PM   #83
IronParrot

Hey, I'm from WESTERN Canada and I know what you just said...

Oh, and out of interest - Quebec has its own immigration policy separate from the rest of Canada's, right?

Old 07-23-2000, 09:27 PM   #84
Shanamir Duntak

Not sure about that honestly. I've been told that immigration policy is federal and not provincial. Maybe I'm wrong too...

Where are you from exactly??? BC, Alberta? North Territories? (What's the new name anyway?)

Old 07-24-2000, 01:33 AM   #85
Eruve

The new Territory is called Nunavut...

Quebec does have something of it's own immigration policy, as I know from experience. I've lived here on a student visa and am now a landed immigrant. While an immigrant in either of these two situations has to go through the process with the federal government, Quebec has a say in the matter as well. There is a separate form you fill out and the provincial government can approve or disapprove, and I believe effectively keep someone from immigrating to Quebec, at least directly. I imagine if someone got rejected by Quebec, they could go somewhere else at first and then move to Quebec (talking about a landed immigrant here). As far as I know Quebec is the only province with this power.

Old 07-25-2000, 02:49 AM   #86
Shanamir Duntak

Re: ...

Ah... ok...what did you study?.. if that's not too personnal

Old 07-25-2000, 12:10 PM   #87
Eruve

I studied French, what else? I have a BA in French language and literature from McGill.

Old 07-25-2000, 03:21 PM   #88
Shanamir Duntak

It's really off-topic but anyway it will be closed soon...

Why did you want to learn french??? It's really hard to learn with all those stoopid grammar exceptions and bizzare syntax.

Would I have the choice, i would study latin, not french!

Old 07-27-2000, 09:30 PM   #89
IronParrot

I would have preferred Latin to French too. I really want to learn Latin. However, Latin isn't offered at my school, and I have to take a second language to satisfy IB diploma programme requirements... so I took French.

Oh well, French has its uses. So maybe all of them have to do with either a) writing lines for butlers and waiters in plays, and b) flirting recklessly. At least, those are the two I've discovered.

Old 07-28-2000, 01:23 AM   #90
Shanamir Duntak

LoL...

Speaking with french-speaking persons is another one.

I love latin 'cause of it's origins. I always loved mediavel times too. I'm just borned 900 years too late
Latin could give me a lot of knowledge and the possibility to read OLD stuff one day!

Anyway, CANADA RuLeZ! :lol:

Old 07-28-2000, 02:12 AM   #91
IronParrot

The beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.

Old 07-28-2000, 02:13 AM   #92
juntel

Yup, it DESERVES to be on every of our nickels.
*Snif*

Old 07-29-2000, 07:37 PM   #93
Shanamir Duntak

Beaver is my totem animal...
And that's true.

But I prefer the frog...

Old 07-29-2000, 07:41 PM   #94
emilsson

Hey, Shanamir Duntak, I´m born 900 years too late as well . I´d love to learn latin one day. The Mediaval time is just great in every aspect.

Old 07-29-2000, 07:52 PM   #95
Shanamir Duntak

Except for plagues, lack of good medecine, feudal wars and minor stuff... it's true.

I'm currently doing my own chainmail, I hope they create that time-machine soon now...

Old 07-30-2000, 06:45 AM   #96
Johnny Lurker

On the matter of nukes...

(which is really the most interesting part of this discussion...)

I wonder why so many people are willing to decry the "atrocity" of the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, yet no one seems to get riled up about the firebombing of Tokyo...

Old 07-30-2000, 07:24 AM   #97
juntel

Re: On the matter of nukes...

The air raids on Japan even before tha a-bombs did make more material damage then the a-bombs themselves, true.

I did touch on this, perhaps too briefly, in one of the posts in this thread.

Old 07-30-2000, 08:16 AM   #98
emilsson

Good point about the Middle Ages. But the knights make up for the existence of plauges and wars etc.

A time machine would be great.

Old 07-30-2000, 12:13 PM   #99
Eruve

Just take whatever the antidote is for bubonic plague with you in your time machine. Probably you won't get as sick as everyone else because you're immunized against things like small pox and other diseases. Just watch out for the water and rotten meat!

Old 07-30-2000, 12:55 PM   #100
juntel

Hmmm.. I wonder what kind of diseases we would bring them though, even though we're "cleaner".

Maybe it would be as disastrous as european's germs for natives in the americas a long time ago.

I wonder if today's strains would be lethal if brought back... and also how it would affect us in the future... I mean in the future of that past, which is today... I mean... well... I hope you know what I mean