Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2002, 01:33 AM   #81
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Shoot. Okay, maybe New Zealand.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 01:32 AM   #82
BeardofPants
the Shrike

New Zealand is full of sheep.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:03 AM   #83
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Amusing!

*chortles* this is so funny.

None of my friends are very in to Tolkien's books. Not a single person I know my age (in real life) has read the books. Most of them are just like "Oh yah I love Lord of the Rings - Legolas is HOT!" But I couldn't have an outside-the-movie discussion with them.

I go to a christian school founded by a tiny inbred amish/mennonite community (not that all Amish people are inbred but the ones in my area of schooling are!). Everybody there is pacifist and I get scolded by my Bible teacher for having LOTR as my favorite movie (It's "suspiciously violent" to be my favorite movie!).

My mom barely made it halfway through The Hobbit and I barely got her to read the end of the Silm... My dad, well, he is not the artistic literature type and hates how many words Tolkien uses to paint a picture. My little brother is reading FOTR... though it's taking him forever and he doesn't care much about ME. My older brother calls me a no life loser for being interested in things that "won't benefit me in real life".

Oy.... I need some Tolkienites to come out here so we can have loserish discussions together! LOL

-~*Sminty*~-
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:39 AM   #84
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
After reading this thread, I have concluded that the ents should become ROUSED!
Let us become ROUSED, Ents and Entmooters!
Let us march forward until all of humanity knows how to spell "durbatuluk!"
Let us march on the Isengard of people who don't read books!
Let us march on the Isengard of people who don't read LotR!
Let us march on the Isengard of people who think that PJ is the only LotR!
Let us march on Isengard!

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 02:36 PM   #85
Lady Legolas
Sapling

My friends that think I'm a total loser for liking the Tolkien books, I have figured out that they are not truly friends. If they can feel the right to make fun of me for what I really like, they are not my friends. Well poop on them if they don't like you or I for what we are, they don't know what they're missing.

¤Lady Legolas¤
Old 08-26-2002, 06:56 PM   #86
Sminty_Smeagol

lol!

WELL SAID!

Although... I find that frequently people with eccentric obsessions/alternative universes look down on "normal" people because "normal" people look down on us. But that's kind of hypocritical... I try to just consider everyone equal in terms of interests... just because we have more interesting interests doesn't mean we're better than those with interests *we* find less interesting!

Phew... lots of interesting speech... ^

-~*Sminty*~-

PS- IM AN ENTING!
Old 08-27-2002, 05:16 AM   #87
Frodo1990
Sapling

Theoden

My friends dont think i'm crasy. My friend has read the book to.
Frodo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 08:10 PM   #88
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

All of my friends except one love to talk about boys and hair stuff, (the horrors! They had to tie me up once and put hair gel in my hair), and they all think I am a total freak because I would rather go to the library instead of first base. My mother thinks
I need to broaden my horizons. And my sister is too embarassed of the fact that I sing Elvish songs and runs away whenever I come near.
Yes, Strongbow, it is high time we were roused!

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:44 PM   #89
katya
Elven Maiden

yeah i agree. i am becoming roused. a bit. i have this one friend who is into the books more or less (she isnt quite done with lotr yet) and i have such loser conversations with her...its great. we quote things (she quotes the movie a lot) and people give us priceless looks. only i was a bit disappointed today. you see, after noticing that my book covers were full or elvish/tengwar writing she said "i think you are way more obsessed than me" and she calls herself a super nerd. that scares me. people ask me questions like "let me guess, its about lord of the rings right?" i try to avoid talking about it with most of my friends. my best friend just saw the movie this weekend and i am hoping she will take up the books. it would make me happy. she liked the movie. i have hope. she didnt finish the hobbit though but i think she would like other stuff better.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:57 PM   #90
Sminty_Smeagol

I think we should start an organization. We can be The Ents Roused Against Anti-Nerds. TERAAN. Lol... we can make t-shirts and stuff for public display.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:00 PM   #91
katya
Elven Maiden

i think so. count me in. down with anti-nerds!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:59 PM   #92
Sminty_Smeagol

DWAN! lol
Old 09-11-2002, 05:54 PM   #93
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

LOL!! When do we start? What shall we do with the anti-nerds, bring the Mount Doom to show them what they're missing?

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 07:10 PM   #94
katya
Elven Maiden

yeah cast them into the fire! mwahahaha!!!! erm.. i mean...i dont know. i never really thought about it. maybe we should try to show them the light. they are so...unenlightened.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:18 PM   #95
Sminty_Smeagol

Haha! I like that word... unenlightened!

Yes we shall cast them into the pits and angband (that was it right? hellish place) FROM WHENCE THEY CAME! For they can only be unmade in the very pits of fire in which they were smithied....

or something.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:40 AM   #96
katya
Elven Maiden

yeah i love saying that:"i should cast you into the firey chasm from whence you came!"

so who else is with us?

ps-happy birthday yesterday bilbo and frodo!
Old 09-14-2002, 09:54 AM   #97
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
you see, after noticing that my book covers were full or elvish/tengwar writing ...
katya - Isn't it fun writing in Tengwar? I don't have time/talent to learn elvish, but I really enjoy writing in Tengwar. I keep a journal and I can write absolutely ANYTHING in it because VERY few people can read it (and no one around me can!) Can you read my avatar?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 10:07 AM   #98
katya
Elven Maiden

Yes, Rian, i can. though i am not sure how to type the "i" with an accent... and i know exactly what you mean about the tengwar, and diaries. I usually write my diary in, um, regular writing but in my school notebook where people can easily get my hands on it I write in the tengwar. it's so fun. I don't really know elvish (quenya) but I am learning. On my book covers I just have "Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo" and "Ai! Lauie lantar lassi surinen" and on the bck of my geography book I have a large "G". All my fodlers have the subjects in the tengwar too. Anyway, that's maybe a bit off subject. And yes people probably think I am a loser for having some of the above.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:16 PM   #99
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

katya - I started a thread on writing using Tengwar characters in this forum - hope to see you there

I don't know how to type the accent marks either - I just "cut and paste" them in!! When I registered, I got the one in my name by finding a user name with an accented "I", cutting and pasting it, deleting all the characters but the "I", and typing the other letters around it. One of these days I'll figure out how to do it...

On the original "loser" topic - I think I would be too embarassed to put the characters right out on a book cover like you did (but good for you!) - people already think I think/talk about M.E. too much I just write in Tengwar for my own pleasure.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 07:42 PM   #100
katya
Elven Maiden

so there hasnt been much activity on the board lately. i ask again: who is with us? (TERAAN that is) come, let us march.