Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2003, 05:36 AM   #61
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

LOL. But hey, don't diss the moth!

If you can have talking thrushes with intimate knowledge of dragon anatomy, you can bloody well have messenger moths.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #62
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Well I may be part of an ancient, long-lived race of moths who spoke the many languages of Middle-earth, but I don't think it has the endurance to get Gwaihir from his eeryie (sp?).

Hm...

Moth: *whew* I'm bushed. I just flew all the way from Orthanc. *spirals dizzily to rest on Gwaihir talon*
Gwaihir: *raises foot* I'm a bird, albeit a large one.
Moth: *pant* Yes, I have a message from Gandalf -
Gwaihir: You are a moth.
Moth: ...
Gwaihir: *eats moth* Wait, he said something about Gandalf and Orthanc. I'll go see how he fares. Maybe I shouldn't have eaten the little fellow. Moths aren't part of my natural diet.

Sending a moth as a messenger to a bird seemed funny to me, though Gwaihir probably doesn't really eat moths. I don't actually have a problem with that scene. (Radagast might though.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:54 PM   #63
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

I think that PJ absolutely nailed Boromir. Moreover, I think that in this particular case, PJ's characterization was more effective than Tolkien's-by which I mean that one has to very carefully read Boromir in the books in order to discern the character qualities that are quite evident in the movies.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:12 AM   #64
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I enjoyed Boromir in the movies too! I agree, he was right on. I think Boromir was equally successful in both the books and the movies. Books are more subtle than movies, because of the nature of the media. It makes sense that you should have to 'read into it' to understand a subtle and complex character like Boromir.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-04-2003, 12:56 PM   #65
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
I wouldn't take any scene in the movie for granite. I have been advised not to interpret Tolkien in a metamorphical way. But I do object to excessive sedimentality in the Arwen scene.
LOL! I get it...you do have a sense of humour. I laugh...hahahaha!

And in regards to Boromir...I think Sean Bean was exactly what was needed...he was brilliant and I loved him in this role!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:56 PM   #66
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
As for Aragorn's attraction to the upright maiden Eowyn, (Miranda Otto) it's immediately understandable. She obviously posesses the only soap and shampoo in the entire kingdom of Rohan. It's tickling to see a film where every horse is better groomed than every human—Gandalf excepted (but, then, he's whiter than white). ~Alan Dean Foster
This is a funny quote.

I wondered about that myself. (not so much about the horses, but why everyone from Rohan appeared so grimey.)

I think that PJ&co did a good job with the opening part that had galadriel talking. (I would have prefered to show this during the council of elrond, but the scene itself was done well)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 12-04-2003 at 03:04 PM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:03 PM   #67
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You try not to be grimy without any plumbing! Besides, Aragorn is still grimier.

It makes sense anyway. These guys live a tough, midieval type lifestyle. They don't get to have a shower every day, though I'm sure they all have soap of some form. Except that slimeball Grima Wormtongue.
Quote:
Old 09-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #68
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

And Grima Wormtongue was actually one of the CLEAN ones, too! I also take issue with PJ turning all the Rohirrim into grungy-looking uber-peasants. It was too much. But, this is supposed to be a positive thread, so...

Smeagol-Gollum!Gollum! was wonderfully done. He's the bomb; I adore Smeagol, and he's almost exactly like I'd pictured him from the book.

I bumped this thread, curious to see what others think...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #69
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

What scene did PJ get right? *wracks memory*... I really liked the bit in Moria when Gandy read from the Book of Marzubel (spl). That was pretty well done, that one bit. Also, the battle on Amon Hen and Boromir's death scene. I really liked the way they were rendered, with the possible exception of that sissy Uruk Hai (Lurtz) with his rediculous half-ponytail, dragging the sword into his own vitals. Ick.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #70
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Gollum

Oh, man was that Gollum-Smeagol scene amazing! Perfectly captured the books.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #71
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

when lurtz licks the the dagger in FOTR EE initially it grossed me out but it is actually right out of the books, so you know this kind of a random post isn't it, oh well, rock on
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #72
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Oh, man was that Gollum-Smeagol scene amazing! Perfectly captured the books.
Yeah, I agree. It was a very well written & acted scene.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote