Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2003, 03:52 PM   #61
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassius
At least we can all agree that there was deviation. I for one wanted to see Glorfindel, since he is my favorite elf in the books. Not to mention the Glorfindel in the Silmarillion. I don't think that the ford scene was a good change, I think that it was a good scene. PJ mentioned something about having female characters playing a larger role because Women Activist groups got after him, IF I heard it correctly. That certainly doesn't totally justify the change, it just shows how the world we live in won't allow things to be exactly the same as it was first written. Some group or another will call you racist or sexist and sue.
I agree about Glorfindel.
Arwen in the movies makes me angry, since she wasn't suppose to have that big part, and the big part doesn't seem to effect anything, and it's B-O-R-I-N-G. PJ pushed Glorfindel out for her, and entered her in a scene in TTT, and I don't want to kknow what he did to her in ROTK...

I think Eowyn is enough, and if Tolkien didn't write much about other females (except Shelob of course), you can't stuck characters in the movie. It ruins the movie.

[edit] - about the Sil movie - I would go to see it, only from curiousity though... Also, it'll be harder to make Sil. The book might be smaller, but with much more info and scenes. (which are shorter, obviously)

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 11-06-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:14 PM   #62
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
How do you know? Were you there in the editing room? Were you there when they were working on the screen play? :rollyeyes: Unless you were there with Jackson - you have no idea how much thought and care went into destroying Flight to the Ford and so forth.
How do I know? It's something called: R E S E A R C H. Have you heard about it? The people involved in the film have talked about it. Their interviews have appeared in magazines, in newspapers, and on the web. There is also a wealth of information on the making of the films on the DVDs.

Let me predict your response: ALL of it is just hollywood propanganda, right?
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:21 PM   #63
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
How do I know? It's something called: R E S E A R C H. Have you heard about it? The people involved in the film have talked about it. Their interviews have appeared in magazines, in newspapers, and on the web. There is also a wealth of information on the making of the films on the DVDs.

Ahem, ahem...

I believe that even if they thought about every scene for days (months, if you wish), they made some mistakes, and the fact that they thought about it a lot don't make it up to me, at least. If I think they were wrong by adding/removing this and that scene, like in Glorfindel/Arwen, than I don't care how much time they thought about it.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #64
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, in court it would be called "hearsay."

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #65
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
I believe that even if they thought about every scene for days (months, if you wish), they made some mistakes, and the fact that they thought about it a lot don't make it up to me, at least. If I think they were wrong by adding/removing this and that scene, like in Glorfindel/Arwen, than I don't care how much time they thought about it.
You can disagree with PJ. I was simply saying that his decision to replace Glorfindel with Arwen was a very complex decision that involved considerable thought. It wasn't simply a director saying, "let's put a good-lookin' babe in this scene."
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:28 PM   #66
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:

Yup - it is. My sister WORKED in a PR firm in hollywood. She went to the press party for the Mummy - she knows how hollywood works. And yes - do you really think they would say - "we just wanted to make it an action film"? Of course not - if they came out and told the truth - they wouldn't be able to convince the book fans that their way was the only way. As it stands - jackson does say in the FotR extended edition commentary that he just wanted to create a cool fantasy film and choose Lord of the Rings. There was nothing special in his choice - he said that it had a ready made audience. Sorry - but those are his words.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #67
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
You can disagree with PJ. I was simply saying that his decision to replace Glorfindel with Arwen was a very complex decision that involved considerable thought. It wasn't simply a director saying, "let's put a good-lookin' babe in this scene."
No - there was a reason and i agree with them switching Arwen or another character for Glorfindel - I however do not agree with the hack job Jackson made with the Flight to the Ford scene.

I agree 100% with Radagast. And what you are saying - you have no idea how much effort went into their decisions. Just because they say something - doesn't mean it's the truth. Actions speak louder than words and what is on the screen is NOTHING that Jackson mentioned. If you even listen to the commentary - he completely ignores the outrage against the Flight to the Ford scene but mentions how people were outraged about the flood.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-06-2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:36 PM   #68
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Actually it was The Mummy II and it was more than just going to the press party - she was in charge of organizing it. She was in charge of the PR event.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #69
Cassius
Enting

Gimli

I still think that there will be a Anime made if anything. It certainly wouldn't be american animation style, cuz then it would suck.

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:24 AM   #70
Keith K
Elf Lord

I think that it would be cool to have the material presented in a documentary format. Sort of like the History Channel. That way it could be a series that could delve into each chapter or issue more deeply than a 3 hr. movie ever could hope to do. (Of course this idea would never fly as there is no way it would make enough money). Just a thought/wish.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:20 AM   #71
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Hmm... that might be a better approach, since the Sil tells the history of ME. I might be ok with that.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:51 PM   #72
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
Hmm... that might be a better approach, since the Sil tells the history of ME. I might be ok with that.
I agree - that would be cool. Sort of like "Walking with Dinosaurs" or "Walking with Man" or maybe like "Rome: Power and Glory"

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-11-2003, 03:57 PM   #73
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
I agree - that would be cool. Sort of like "Walking with Dinosaurs" or "Walking with Man" or maybe like "Rome: Power and Glory"
Exactly.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:00 PM   #74
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Elvengirl

Yes. It might be the only way to handle the various versions of Galadriel's saga.

And on a not so serious note:
'IN SEARCH OF GALADRIEL"
(Leonard Nemoy doing the narration?)

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-11-2003 at 07:38 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #75
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

The Silmarillion was never meant to be a movie, there are too many sub-plots. It could be made into a series, or smaller parts of it taken out and used seperately. I don't know what I think about either one, but I know that Peter Jackson would definetly change some things if he made any movie, TV series, or anything else of the Silmarillion. It would be interesting to see, but I don't think it would necessarily be good.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #76
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

In order for the Silmarillion to be made into a film, it would first have to be a consistant narrative, which it isn't because the author died before it was finished and what was published wsa just sort of stuck together with string and glue.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #77
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Now there's an interesting idea. I love the 'walking with....' format. It would make it easier to deal with the different stories.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:32 PM   #78
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

The Silmarillion wouldn't be a movie; it would be a series of movies. The book is shorter than LOTR, but the story covers more ground. I would love to see it done, but I really doubt it will ever happen. The Hobbit is much more realistic.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:12 PM   #79
Sween
im quite stupid

I would like to see a director who is not so bounded by the theory of realism take on the silmarillion. I think the last two movies lost a lot of the realism as they delt with the worlds of men. I think the hardest aspect of bring the sil to life would be showing just how powerful the elves were and doing things at a much larger scale but still toliken was a genious who came up with so many things i would love to see put into film and i do think that it could be done but it would take about 9 movies to do it but i mean if i had the skills i would love to bring them to the whole world.

The Sil should be made but probably not by Jackson
Old 01-14-2004, 07:31 PM   #80
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I'm not sure PJ is really "bound" by realism; it was more of a choice for how he wanted the film to look. He wanted it to feel more like historical fiction. Frankly, I think it was one of the better decisions he made on the film.

If he did make the The Silmarillion (which I seriously doubt), I don't think he would necessarily try to do it the same way.