Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-10-2004, 10:17 AM   #61
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Hemel, the emergency room treats a variety of ailments, but its specific purpose is tending to emergencies (injuries, or sudden illnesses) that need immediate treatment. In some emergency rooms they have what is called a (trauma bay.) this is an area of the emergency room that deals strictly with trauma, usually consisting of gunshot wounds, motor vehicle accidents, and other major life threatening injuries. NO ONE is turned away in the ER. However, as JD pointed out, many people use the ER, or I should say, misuse the ER as though it were their doctor's office. There are probably many reasons why this happens, two of them being that many are NO income and have not applied for any kind of public assistance, and also because it's more convenient, a no waiting kind of experience. You don't have to make an appointment, and you go in, get treated and leave. This is the problem when people don't use the ER for its intended purpose, emergencies.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:11 PM   #62
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

(Re USAmericans : I remember when I was in Switzerland and wrote a postcard to some friends back home in the US and asked how much the postage was to America, and the clerk asked me "Which America? North or South?" or something along those lines, and I realized that he had a good point ... we Americans forget that America doesn't only refer to the USA.)

Our family has been to the emergency room several times in the middle of the night when doctor offices are closed - we call our doctor (there is always a doctor you can get hold of on the phone 24 hours a day, with our coverage - an HMO) and describe what's going on, then they will either tell you to go to an emergency room or wait until the morning. Bring a book ...

Another quick note on emergency rooms - a friend of mine is a nurse in the ER in an area where there are gangs, and she says the gang members that come into the ER are real babies as soon as you get them away from their gang.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:45 PM   #63
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Howdy, Rian
Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
gang members that come into the ER are real babies as soon as you get them away from their gang.
Classic ned behaviour. On their own, charming and witty. Soon as they're back with their squad, they'd sell their granny to a glue factory for a whiff of bostik.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #64
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hi, Gaffer, nice to see you!

What in the world is that third picture - the guy in the white outfit? Is he really overweight, or do they buy clothes that are too big and then stuff them with pillows (or is the wind puffing out the clothes?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-10-2004, 04:56 PM   #65
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

My guess is a combination of stretchy photoshop incompetence on the part of the webmaster with the typical West of Scotland diet (deep fried pizza, Irn Bru, tabs and Buckfast tonic wine) on the part of the ned.

Not the best web site, it has to be said, but their taxonomy of "goon" "mad" "wee cheeky" and "dressed" neds seems to hold for many different groupings of gangsters.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 06-10-2004 at 04:59 PM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:06 PM   #66
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
(Re USAmericans : I remember when I was in Switzerland and wrote a postcard to some friends back home in the US and asked how much the postage was to America, and the clerk asked me "Which America? North or South?" or something along those lines, and I realized that he had a good point ... we Americans forget that America doesn't only refer to the USA.)
Everyone has ALWAYS referred to us as AMERICANS and that is what we ARE. I bet he was just having the same attitude as Hemel - since he obviously knew there were TWO continents. How many people send a postcard to a continent? We don't forget that we have two continents - it's just that some people don't have respect for our name. I suppose Rian - we should start changing all our songs - like "God Bless America" American only refers to the USA - "The Americas" - plural - refers to the continents. North American or South American - refers to a citizen of a country that resides in either continent.

I'm not going to have a SwissEuropean dictate either what we are called.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-10-2004 at 06:10 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:40 PM   #67
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I bet he was just having the same attitude as Hemel - since he obviously knew there were TWO continents. How many people send a postcard to a continent?
We were talking about postage, and perhaps there are two different rates, depending upon if it's going to N. or S. America. I didn't let it bother me, even tho I thought he probably knew I meant the USA.

Quote:
I suppose Rian - we should start changing all our songs - like "God Bless America"
Why? Since only Americans sing it...

Quote:
American only refers to the USA - "The Americas" - plural - refers to the continents. North American or South American - refers to a citizen of a country that resides in either continent.
I didn't say I was sending a postcard to an AMERICAN; I said I was sending it to AMERICA. And I didn't go ballistic and take offense when he asked for clarification, even tho I suspected he knew what I meant. I thought it would represent my country better if I was polite and considerate and did not take instant offense.

Quote:
I'm not going to have a SwissEuropean dictate either what we are called.
And IMO, Hemel is free to call us USAmericans - we can't dictate to him what we are called, altho we can tell him what we prefer. Hemel is a polite person and doesn't leap at the first chance to take offense, like you often do, and I for one have no problem with it. Perhaps you do, but don't speak for me, even tho we're both Americans.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:45 PM   #68
jerseydevil

Quote:
We were talking about postage, and perhaps there are two different rates, depending upon if it's going to N. or S. America. I didn't let it bother me, even tho I thought he probably knew I meant the USA.
Well then if he was respectful to you - he wouldn't have acted like he didn't know what you were talking about - right?
Quote:

Why? Since only Americans sing it...
Well I was told in the previous thread that it was basically now rude to consider ourselves Americans. and our country as America. So by their comments - God Bless America - refers to Mexico, Brazil, Canada, etc. What do you think?
Quote:

I didn't say I was sending a postcard to an AMERICAN; I said I was sending it to AMERICA. And I didn't go ballistic and take offense when he asked for clarification, even tho I suspected he knew what I meant. I thought it would represent my country better if I was polite and considerate and did not take instant offense.
Well I would have said the US - but I think it's disrectful for him to ask which one - when there is only ONE America. North and South America are different than America. You mean they all of sudden forgot that they routinely referred to us an America and Americans while we were fighting the Germans?
Quote:

And IMO, Hemel is free to call us USAmericans - we can't dictate to him what we are called, altho we can tell him what we prefer. Hemel is a polite person and doesn't leap at the first chance to take offense, like you often do, and I for one have no problem with it. Perhaps you do, but don't speak for me, even tho we're both Americans.
I'm not leaping to the first chance to take offense - but I do find it offensive. I suppose it's fine for him as an EnglsihEU to rename us - I find it offensive though and I would prefer it if he used AMERICAN. I find it direspectful of him to just change what we are called and our country like that. You can think that I jump at every offense - that is your opinion and perogitive. I however find it offensive and I would like him to use AMERICAN when referring to us as citizens and America or the US when referring to our country. I don't speak for you - but I speak for myself. I may even go to just referring to them as EU citizens - it would be more acturate then calling them by their "so-called" nationalities.

There is constant American bashing on entmoot - now we aren't even entitled to be called by our PROPER name Americans. Look at the American-Bashing threads - they say America. Fenir started the "Why terrorists attack AMERICA" I guess I should just assume that he met Mexico, Brazil or Canada. Damn - I suppose we'll just have to wait for damn europe to bestow some name befitting our country. Because obviously we are incapable of that and can't be respected enough.

Also- it seems as if the name USAmericans was made as a slight and to be offensive to us. He did NOT always use it - but only recently and I resent it. He even claims that the reson for it's use is only because a Canadian found North American to be offensive when referring to a citizen of North America- without taking into consideration AMERICAN feelings in OUR name change.. It shows where we stand. It's sole purpose is to be disrepectful toward Americans. He can deny it - but I don't believe it and either do several other people I know.

Quote:
America the Beautiful

Oh beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain.
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.

Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress.
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness.
America! America!
God mend thine ev'ry flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law.

Oh beautiful for heroes proved
in liberating strife
Who more than self their country loved,
and mercy more than life
America! America! May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness, And ev'ry gain divine

Oh beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years.
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears.
America! America! God shed his grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.
Quote:
AMERICA

My country, ‘tis of thee,

Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing.

Land where my fathers died,
Land of the Pilgrims’ pride,
From every mountainside
Let freedom ring.

Our fathers’ God, to Thee
Author of liberty
To thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright
With freedom’s holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God, our King!
Quote:
God Bless AMERICA

God bless America
Land that I love
Stand be-side her and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above

From the mountains to the prairies
To the oceans white with foam
God bless America
My home sweet home
God bless America
My home sweet home

I have been against changing the national anthem - but I may reconsider changing it to God Bless America or America the Beautiful as has been suggested. What will foreigners say then - that we don't have a right to our own national anthem?

Come on Gollum - come on Gilmi - start singing since according to hemel these songs are all about Canada in addition to America - oh sorry - US.A. I always told you you guys were the 51st State - now I guess by our songs, some of which are all the way from the early 1800's, we can lay claim to two continents.

Amazing - didn't know Mexico had pilgrims - learn something new everyday I guess.

By the way - this IS an AMERICAN - as in US for those who seem geographically challenged - board.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-10-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #69
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Just out of curiosity......what does it have as a description of your nationality on your passports/birth certificates/official documentation etc?
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:11 PM   #70
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney II
Just out of curiosity......what does it have as a description of your nationality on your passports/birth certificates/official documentation etc?
It doesn't say - it says only the country - which is not a descrption of our nationality - otherwise it would say - American.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #71
jerseydevil

Wow - our embassy in London has services for American citizens I wonder if the Canadians and Mexicans and Brazilians know they can use our embassy or maybe Hemel should tell our embassy that it is *gasp* WRONG for us to be using the term American to refer to citizens of this country.

they also have this nice bit of information too at the US Embassy...

Quote:
American Attorneys in the United Kingdom
American Banks in the United Kingdom
American Colleges in the United Kingdom
American Schools in the United Kingdom
I'm wondering - do you think I can get information on the Universities in Mexico City there? or what about Rio? - would be a blast to go to college in Rio. For some reason - being an AMERICAN citizen I am - I know they don't and that AMERICAN ONLY refers to a citizen of the United States and has been like that for over 200 years. Now some people have taken it upon themselves to try to change this - people who don't even live here or are AMERICAN citizen - because they think they're way is better. Hmmm - if an AMERICAN did that - they would be termed an UGLY American - but I guess it's okay for an European to do it.

That begs the question now - what is an Ugly AMERICAN - I guess that includes Canadians and Mexicans and Peruvians and Cubans, wow - didn't know Europe had so many problems with so many people. It makes one question who REALLY has the problem with foreigners. *ponders*

I just remembered this - that Canadian politician who said "I hate those American bastards" - I bet she didn't know she was referring to herself and her own country.

On our embassy - the AMERICAN Embassay in London - they even have a section called "American Passports & Citizenship"

In our embassy's Citizen FAQ it has this little bit...

Quote:
I was born in the United States while my parents were there temporarily. Do I have a claim to American citizenship?

Yes, almost anybody born in the United States is an American citizen regardless of the nationality or status of the parents. The only exception is for children of foreign diplomats who have full diplomatic immunity. Anyone else can apply for an American passport by presenting an original birth certificate showing birth in the United States and adequate identity documents.
You wil notice that they use the term American passport above - versus USAmerican. We will say US Passport - but America and US is interchangeable - however - American refers to our nationality and there is NOTHING that replaces that.

Quote:
My son has both British and American citizenship. At what age must he choose which citizenship he wants to keep?

American citizenship is for life. The laws covering the retention of citizenship have been greatly liberalized - thanks in large part to the lobbying of American community groups overseas. No child has to do anything at any age to retain, choose, affirm, or confirm American citizenship. In the 1980's, the Supreme Court ruled that citizenship is a Constitutional right, which cannot be taken away from a citizen who does not intend to relinquish it. Therefore, such actions as naturalization in a foreign state or voting in a foreign election do not automatically jeopardize American citizenship.
It does NOT say USAmerican - it says AMERICAN.

HMMM - our embassy says they're closed for British and AMERICAN holidays - do you think they're open for Cinco de Mayo?
Quote:
The Passport Unit is open for appointments Monday through Friday. The Unit is closed to the public on American and British public holidays.
It's SO confusing - it's a wonder anyone has been able to understand what we meant by "American" for the last 225 years.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-10-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:28 PM   #72
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So does that mean that you speak for all US Americans?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #73
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
No - only Americans. To me - it's like someone changing my name just because they feel like it. You might remeber this commercial...
Quote:
I am an American

The idea for the "I am an American" public service advertisement was conceived on a road trip following the tragedies of September 11th. Air transportation was grounded after the terrorist attacks, and as a result, executives from Austin, Texas ad agency GSD&M, found themselves stranded in Annapolis, Maryland, following a client meeting. Rather than waiting to catch a flight home, they decided to drive back to Texas. As they reflected on the tragic events of the day, they thought about what it is that makes America so unique.

Somewhere around Raleigh, GSD&M's creative director proposed the idea of creating a PSA that would celebrate the country's extraordinary diversity. Fearing a possible backlash against Arab Americans and other ethnic groups after the attacks, GSD&M decided to communicate a message that would remind Americans that this was the time to unite as a country....
Or view the video - I am an American video It was made after 9/11 to celebrate the diversity of America and to bring ALL Americans together. To me it's a very beautiful commercial and one that we should strive for - as being American.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-10-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:42 PM   #74
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
heh!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:51 PM   #75
Ararax
Elven Warrior

my god man thats as assanine as calling french fries freedom fries, its useless and its only good for instigating
Old 06-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #76
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Let me just say that calling Americans USAmericans is IMO a way of nitpicking on this board, the same as with all the American bashing threads. Some folks may take it as cute and feel that the people that are offended by it are nitpicking. I for one think it is disrespectful, especailly just from moderating this board have learned that such terms are used only to inflame. Trying to do a technical nitpick is what it amounts to. The fact that there are two continents that have the name America attached to them is neither here nor there. The countries within those continents DO NOT, and WOULD NOT refer to themselves as Americans. In all the political threads that have been started on Entmoot, NOT ONE has used the name USAmerican in its title or any of the posts, until now. The people that live in the United States of America are AMERICANS. Tell me, do you think that there is one Canadian on this board willing to call themselves an American? I doubt it.

Now everyone, get back on topic!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #77
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
It doesn't say - it says only the country - which is not a descrption of our nationality - otherwise it would say - American.
*nods*

Pretty much like here. I get English, British, United Kingdom, European etc. To be honest, it never really concerned me.

Communicating with Americans, I generally use American. but I've also used US, United States, UScitizens and USAmerican (although I've nearly always changed it to American (US) and North American.

I never really, or have encountered, as being that big a deal.

But yer right......you have the right to describe yourselves however you wish
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:16 PM   #78
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney II
Pretty much like here. I get English, British, United Kingdom, European etc. To be honest, it never really concerned me.
Well to be honest - usually I have always used English when I am referring to a person from England - even though sometimes I have been accused of not even though I was - British when I was referring to a general person from England, Wales or Scotland, and European when I am referring to someone that lives on the European continent - but it not specific to a country. I have never used United Kingdom and don't see much sense to - since the Kingdom really refers to all the territories and so forth - and is not technically restricted to just the British Isles.

As for American (US) - why - when we have always been called American - you had it right the first time. As for US that is our country - not nationality.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-10-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:20 PM   #79
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Okay, did I stutter or something? Let's get back on topic!

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-10-2004, 11:25 PM   #80
Rían

SGH, I've never seen Hemel be disrespectful; have you? All the posts I've seen from him have been consistently kind, so I didn't take offense at the term. I think that should be taken into account when trying to determine intent (IOW, I don't think he was trying to "inflame"). Perhaps I've missed some posts where he's been mean, but I don't think so.

My post was originally about the use of the word "America", anyway, not "Americans" or "American", and using "America" in a geographical sense, to boot (postage rates). I'm sorry to see it caused such a hullabaloo.

So what are people's thoughts about Christopher Reeve (the guy that played Superman in the movies and had a fall from a horse and is paralyzed)? Someone brought up how there are so many good treatments now that it drives up prices. Reeve has had MILLIONS spent on him, and he seems to think that other people in his situation should have the same treatments. So where is the line drawn? You could easily spend millions of dollars on many types of treatments for many conditions and bankrupt the medical system, it seems.

EDIT - sorry, SGH, I missed your second post.

Last edited by Rían : 06-10-2004 at 11:27 PM.