Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2004, 11:39 PM   #61
Aewionen
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf

And I don't like what they did to the end. BRING BACK SARUMAN AND THE SCOURING OF THE SHIRE!!!!!!!!!
YES!!!!!! I was so mad when I saw that Saruman wasn't there!

Cut Eowyn? Why? Without her, Legolas would most likely kill the Witch King. (heaven forbid!) But then again he is a man...at least Arwen didn't do it! And who would marry Faramir? Would Grima be going after Arwen or...... Eomer Merry also wouldn't meet up with Pippin. Iboen, Arwen fancied Aragorn too.....

I would probably say......the that random elf guy.....(you can't cut anymore out!please! except maybe Arwen in FotR)
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade

"I feel a slight tingling feeling... I think its affecting me." -Legolas during a drinking contest (EE ROTK)
Aewionen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:21 AM   #62
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

The dead. If done right, the movie didn't need to show them, just show the Gray Company (who should have been their ) and somehow show that invisible people are walking behind them. Then have those guys from Lebbinin (bad spelling, I know) come to the Pelinor like in the book. Having the dead kill everyone easily was so anti-climactic.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:26 AM   #63
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I think that they needed to include the dead, but I agree that they did it wrong. The Grey Company should have been with them, but I can understand why they cut them. It would have been to much hassle to introduce new characters, and maybe too confusing to those who have never touched the books. Also they should have changed the colour of the dead. I forgot where I read it, but I'm sure they shouldn't be bright green!! And it did seem somewhat anti-climatic. Again they probably did it to keep the right pace of the movie, but in my mind the Dead didn't just sweep over Sauron's Army killing them instantly (or what seemed like instanly).
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:27 PM   #64
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
And I would definitely cut the pink sponge-head orc!
How could I forget him? If I had to choose between cutting that orc and cutting Lurtz, I would definetly cut him.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:11 AM   #65
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Well i suppose you could use his head to wipe the floor with…
Old 02-26-2004, 08:52 PM   #66
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

sorry,
i don't think anyone should have been cut,
they were all characters which helped the plot along in some way, and people like tom bombadil, Radagast the Brown, Glorfindel and Gildor, to name but a few, are sorely missed
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:00 PM   #67
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Sadly, even Arwen shouldn't be cut. But we could do away with Lurtz or another made-up character as ethuiliel suggested.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:02 PM   #68
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

i am speaking only of those characters that appear in the books...

chrys
Old 02-27-2004, 04:07 AM   #69
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Oh, sorry Chrys. In that case, I vote for Gothmog (aka sponge head orc). However much I dislike Arwen's portayal in the movie, her presence is important (but not at that certain infamous scene that will not be named. )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:05 PM   #70
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
frodo. i hated that guy. actually arwen and celeborn they were both pretty pointless
that would be stupid because he is the one who destroys the ring! i would have to say arwen
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:10 PM   #71
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i cant forget denethor
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 02-27-2004, 09:17 PM   #72
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Do you realize just how many characters were cut from the story in making the movies? There are enough cut characters to create a sizable army, and since most of the characters who were cut are among the more elite characters from Middle Earth it would be a really effective army too. I think they should have left characters in the scenes they were supposed to be in, and not added un-nessecary characters where they weren't needed. But really, if they cut any other character who was originally in the story it would leave some definite gaps in the plot line.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #73
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Not someone, a group. The whole Warg scene in TTT. Annoyed me greatly.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:05 AM   #74
Telcontar
Enting

NOBODY!!!

They already cut out enough characters as it already was.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." - Old Kingdom Proverb
Kill Bill Volume 1)
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #75
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I know this is a little off-topic... but the other day I was looking for a potato to make chips and the one I pulled out of the bag looked exactly like the sponge headed orc.... I sat for about 10 minutes with my pirate DVD on pause comparing the two... again he should have definatly been cut out!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 03-04-2004, 03:57 AM   #76
Mrs Maggot
Enting

I wonder if he's related to Mr potato Head from toy Story…
Old 03-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #77
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Telcontar
NOBODY!!!

They already cut out enough characters as it already was.

Well then, cut PJ

QUOTES:
“We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. What we were trying to do was to analyze what was important to Tolkien and to try to honor that. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves. “
PJ

“Obviously we're taking this incredible novel and we're adapting it into films, and I think the film is the important thing. “

Peter Jackson on The Today Show, December 5, 2002
Nazgul King Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:23 PM   #78
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Maggot
I wonder if he's related to Mr potato Head from toy Story…
I think that it's quite possibe that he is....

Quote:
Well then, cut PJ
Good idea.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:23 PM   #79
b.banner
Elf Lord

it wouldnt be good to cut out anybody actually .accept the made up characters like lurtz spongehead orc and the other ones.

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 03-04-2004, 07:08 PM   #80
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

'Spongehead Orc'

AKA Gothmog, the lieutenant of Minas Morgul
isn't actualy a made up character
he is in the books, although hes mentioned only once, as rallying troops after the fall of the witch king, BUT he isnt referred to as an orc in the books, tolkien doesn't specify what race he is, although most people believe he was a Black Numenorean, like the Mouth of Sauron (who i was extremely disappointed not to see in the film )