Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2002, 07:22 PM   #61
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Re: an opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
For the simple fact of it is sort of a movie master piece, alot of digital effects, beautiful sets, and one hot Legolas
Except for the fact that he was deeply distrustful of the movie medium. And I really do doubt that when he was writing it, he was thinking of leggie as "one hot" elf.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:26 PM   #62
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Sam Gamgee beardofpants

he may have been distrustful but... I have no come back to that
any way thanks for replying.!

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 07:28 PM   #63
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm sure you'll come up with one.

Welcome to the moot!

I'm the sourpuss who doesn't like the movie.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:30 PM   #64
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

beard

thanks for the welcome!
Well you have the choice of being the sourpuss, just like I can be jolly and fun and .......STUFF!

Old 09-12-2002, 08:32 PM   #65
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I'm sure you'll come up with one.

Welcome to the moot!

I'm the sourpuss who doesn't like the movie.
And I'm the other one that doesn't really like the movie.

and welcome.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:34 PM   #66
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

jersey

Nice to meet another sourpuss, thanks for the welcome. Cute Avatar. I'm obsessed with avatars right now, because i can't get any Oh well!

Old 09-13-2002, 09:25 PM   #67
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Re: an opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
it is sort of a movie master piece,
I hereby award you First Place in Understatements for 2002.

But seriously, Tolkien was a serious dude. He had a lot of troubles, financial, etc, and his life was not easy. He probably seemed humorless to the pupils into whose heads he was trying to cram a little education . . . but he couldn't have written Pippin, Merry, and all the rest without a sense of humor.

My favorite line: "What do they eat when they can't get hobbit?"

You're telling me that man has no sense of humor?
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 08:28 PM   #68
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Re: Re: an opinion

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Entlover
[B]I hereby award you First Place in Understatements for 2002.

THANKS! YOU LOVE ME YOU REALLY LOVE MEEEEEEE!!!

Old 10-21-2002, 03:35 PM   #69
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

He probably would, but he'd make some changes to it.
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:02 PM   #70
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I whole-heartedly believe Tolkien would have hated it as an adaptation of his work.

If he were able to ignore the last 50 years of his life spent working on LotR etc. then I am sure he'd have enjoyed the film.

If anyone doubts he would have detested it, read through Tolkien's Letters book, and see his comments on various other adaptations of his work.

He may have sold the rights, but that does not mean he would have accepted whatever version was produced. At the time he sold his rights he was getting on in years and had a relatively modest income. The money he made from the sale of the rights was extremely valuable to him.

One can hardly blame him for gaining some fiscal reward for his life's work, but I don't think he would have sold the rights unless he felt he had too (and indeed what with his wife's illness and his own troubles, along with limited financial resources, I believe he 'had' to sell the rights).

He was too much of a perfectionist to ever be able to be anything other than insulted and confused by PJ's adaptation. More to the point, he created his works as a 'slice of history'. Not as a film.
This is why I get annoyed at people like PJ saying Tolkien's world and story is very difficult to realise on film. Well of course it is - it was never meant to be that way. 'History' (and real-life) usually translate REALLY badly to film, because films only ever show a cut-down / changed / edited version of what happened.

BTW, to Aeryn - admit it, I have the cutest Avatar

Last edited by Gerbil : 10-21-2002 at 06:05 PM.
Gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:55 PM   #71
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

An old resucitated thread, how charming... I hadn't read this one until now and I just have to thank playgirl for the hilarious mental picture of JRRT playing with his LotR action figures. rotflmao

From what I have seen and read the world of Hollywood and film making was far more foreign to JRRT than Middle Earth, maybe even Mars. I don't think he would have giving the film much more than a passing thought. If someone would have disturbed his peace just for input on a movie they probably would have gotten more than they asked for.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 09:14 PM   #72
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Tolkien would have simply despised this film. I sincerely doubt he would have sat through the whole thing.

From what I get from "Letters", he would have had Black Breathalizer eating his words before they were even typed.

For those who seem to think Tolkien would have liked, or even loved, the film, I think you need to find out more about old Ronald the man.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 10-21-2002 at 09:17 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 09:25 PM   #73
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Tolkien would have simply despised this film. I sincerely doubt he would have sat through the whole thing.

From what I get from "Letters", he would have had Black Breathalizer eating his words before they were even typed.

For those who seem to think Tolkien would have liked, or even loved, the film, I think you need to find out more about old Ronald the man.
Oh dear god please don't give that #$%& BB a reason to poison this thread. I've been trying to keep him amused in the wallow of his own creation.

I totally agree about JRRT. "What do you mean I can't smoke my pipe in here? Bah, I going home to do some gardening."
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:08 PM   #74
Arcala
Elven Warrior

I think that Tolkien would not have liked the movie at all because it messes up his book and he probably wouldn't understand why PJ cut out certain parts. But then, that's already been said a million times, hasn't it? I'm just giving my opinion.

Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:52 PM   #75
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

The Ballantine cover (BoP was refering to earlier) that sent Tolkien over the moon:

"it showed a hill, two emus and a curious tree bearing bulbous fruit. Tolkien exploded; Why emus? where is this place? And what is that thing in the foreground with pink bulbs? When the reply came that the artist hadn't had time to read the book, and that the object with the pink bulbs was a Christmas tree, Tolkien could only answer "I feel that I am shut up in a madhouse"

From Humphrey Carpenter's Tolkien Biography.

Letter #210 clearly shows what Tolkien would have thought of some of the specific changes made in Jackson's movie, as he is responding to some of the very same changes in that letter. I think it is really beyond debate that Tolkien would not have liked these films, and it is probably safe to say, with a reasonable amount of certainty, that Tolkien would have been less than pleased with anything that would have been financially viable.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 01-15-2003 at 11:56 PM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 02:31 PM   #76
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

As mentioned again and again, novelists don't necessarily know doodly about drama. In fact, Tolkien did not think drama a proper medium for fairy tales. Shakespeare, however, did. And Shakespeare had no problems altering the factual history of Julius Caesar's life in order to fit it on a stage. Tolkien would probably have had issues with Shakespeare, too. Apples and oranges. Novelists are not dramatists. Their opinions are worth reading, but in the end if they were so good at it they would have written it. I'm sure I can find some Shaw to back me up, too, if anyone even cared for reality on this subject.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:48 PM   #77
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

his family and friends said that he would HATE the movie! i can't find the URL for the website i heard this on, but apparently he hates Celtic style music (ie. Hobbiton theme).
i don't think Tolkien would like the idea of Ancarnar (a movie based on Middle Earth), a thread about this is HERE (the website is down, but the thread may discribe what's on the site).
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:31 PM   #78
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Oh gosh, if Tolkien hated Celtic style music then I guess I have to learn to play different stuff. After all, Tolkien is always right. Funny, he had no qualms about stealing the Celtic sidhe for his British pseudo-mythology. I guess some people are allowed to change things (him, the god of all writers) and others are not (like stupid Shakespeare). At least that's what I infer from the sycophancy around here.

Oh by the way ... from Monty Python:

The sycophants are one of the largest of marine carnivores. Their soft, furry underbellies made them a favourite target for hunters. Now, on this island, the sycophants come to breed every summer, protected by law.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 01-16-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:46 PM   #79
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I highly doubt that Tolkien would have approved of PJ's movies as adaptations, though he might have liked them as movies. From what I have heard from people/what little I have read (so far) of the Letters, I would not think he would like it at all as LotR.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote