Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-11-2002, 05:22 PM   #61
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I am not sure, but as I mentioned in the above post, in the movie, it is rumoured that it will happen in the end of TTT to balance out TTT & ROTK better (as there is no scouring.)
Old 08-11-2002, 05:23 PM   #62
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Whoops, I guess that would be my post on the previous page...
Old 08-11-2002, 05:37 PM   #63
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

no scouring... more GGRR!!

Well, the movies are still nice eye candy. I predict the final complete boxed set will run $200 US. There should be quite a bit "on the cutting room floor" by the release of RotK.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 08-11-2002 at 06:00 PM.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 07:33 PM   #64
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes well, having succumbed to renting the DVD, (I'm such a sheep ) I'll have to agree with you there... some very good eye candy. Gimli aside. (Oh, and the scenery is pretty good too. Soundtrack? Nergh...)
Old 08-11-2002, 07:57 PM   #65
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I've resigned myself to being satisfied with the next two if they stay close to the general idea . . .yes, I know it's capitulation, but it's the main ideas that matter, after all. Frodo and Sam's difficult journey through the wasteland, Shelob's lair, mucho battles with or without Elves, Nazgul attacks and Merry and Eowyn killling the Witchking, dropping the ring in the cracks. Oh, and Ents. I'll be happy with that.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 08:02 PM   #66
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I may actually get to see it before November! My mother is contemplating getting a DVD player soon.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:23 PM   #67
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Yes well, having succumbed to renting the DVD, (I'm such a sheep ) I'll have to agree with you there... some very good eye candy. Gimli aside. (Oh, and the scenery is pretty good too. Soundtrack? Nergh...)
Yes the sound track is very uneven. Some places it is very effective and other places it sounded like some other movie. I think some of the battle scene music was taken directly from "Braveheart". Overall I like it, though. Enough to buy it? Maybe a long time from now when it is in clearance.

Definitely a ggod time to buy a player. They are very inexpensive and the retail market is soft, so if you've got the cash...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 11:07 PM   #68
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Sween:gandald should take him on again after hes offred him the chance to aid them to destroy Sauron of course got to offer him his chance of redemption.
If I remember right, Saruman was offered redemption, but declined.

I am sure the Saruman will be spiked at the end of TTT. Too much will be happening in the ROTK - Pelannor fields, Shelob, destruction of the ring.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:06 AM   #69
Sween
im quite stupid

Saurman is offred his chance to aid them in the book and he does decline. This should also happen in the movie. But been a movie lose ends have to be tied up and seeing as the scourging is out Sauraman will die in this one i just think that Gandalf should do the killing having him pushed out the window by wormingtonge wont work for a few reasons a) wormingtongs life has not been ruined yet so he wont be that mad at his master b) sauarmans powers will still exist ( i cannot see Gandalf taking them away like in the book breaking his staff as if its that easy to do away with a mairs powers) this all ties up with my theory that Gandalf and co will march upon isengard with the ents.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:54 PM   #70
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I don't think Gandalf should do the killing. From what he told Frodo in Moria about Bilbo having pity on Gollum, in would be a contraction of him to then go and kill Saruman. By this time Gandalf would become the white and so be more powerful than Saruman. Falling on a spike will kill Saruman, even if he is powerful. I would guess that in the movie Wormtongue's life would be already horrible and he would hate Saruman. I am sure in the book that Wormtongue hated Saruman for a long time.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:19 AM   #71
Araihc
Sapling

... i don't know if you all heard... there is a letter of support to Jackson, up for signing, at www.dodgeandassociates.com/bqlotr/ (had to go check )

the idea is to support Jackson's vision of the film... to support his telling the story so that it makes sense. if he is forced to cut too much, and the story doesn't make sense, no one profits... and the viewers will lose out, too. he has put two 3 hour versions together... and THEN WALKED AWAY because they didn't work... and this is with Newline pushing to get the films in the can... so i have a tendency to think that the film really didn't work at that length! it really bugs me to think that the movie could be cut short... and end up like 'Dune'...

...i noticed that the petition is only up this week...

i should probably start a new thread for this...
Old 08-13-2002, 04:29 PM   #72
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
I just signed it!

I could sit through a 4 hour movie, just so long as it was as good as the first one!
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:06 PM   #73
Cirdan

I signed it too. I would ask for an intermission at the two hour mark, at least. Would you pay more if it was longer, in order to appral the theater owners, or should they be glad for a guaranteed hit?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-13-2002, 05:39 PM   #74
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It's not economy that holds us back, it's short attention spans. Dammit, if people can sit through the monster that is Ben Hur, then they can sit through a mere four hour epic. If it is well done, then people will sit through it.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:26 PM   #75
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I signed it . . .this is the first I'd heard of the problem, that's the trouble with marketing a product before it's finished.
Everyone should sign it in case PJ needs support to get his version out.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:37 PM   #76
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I sighned it! I think that I would anjoy it to be 4 hours long, the problem is TIME, and as BoP said, my friends atention spans, ofcourse, I would be glude to the screen, I remeber leaving the theater after TFOTR complaning that the movie was to short.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 10:36 PM   #77
Entlover
Elven Warrior

You don't suppose he'd walk out on it, do you? He can't, he has a contract to provide 2 more movies, right? There would be riots.

On a related subject, does anyone know how he managed to film LotR when it's surely copyrighted by the Tolkien estate? He said he's had no contact with the Tolkien family; so did they sell the movie rights to him, sight unseen?
Old 08-13-2002, 10:59 PM   #78
joe
Sapling

Gandalf Read the books

What is so exciting on the film(s)? Read the books guys, READ THE BOOKS!!!
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 11:03 PM   #79
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Re: Read the books

Quote:
Originally posted by joe
What is so exciting on the film(s)?
Yes!! Someone who agrees with me!
Old 08-14-2002, 02:33 AM   #80
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Have read the books, many times in many years. And if
I had to give up one or the other, of course I'd keep the books. But after all these years it's neat to see it come to life.