Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2003, 10:20 AM   #61
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I thought the movie gave him a bad rap.
He did defeat Sauron, but it looked like a desperate attempt to save himself and he just happened to cut the ring from his hand. Then he shows his greedy desire for power by not destroying the ring when he had the chance.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:42 PM   #62
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

In the movie he had this greedy look just as he cut of the ring of Sauron's finger.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #63
Beren+Luthien
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
I always thought of Faramir was more of a person who dislikes battle but does it to protect those he holds dear.
Faramir just wants to please denthor in my eyes. He just went to battle as his father told him so he could gain his respect.
He will never get Denthors respect because Borimir is the oldest and everything Faramir has done Borimir did earlier.
Beren+Luthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:46 PM   #64
azalea
Long lost mooter

Thank you, B+L, for getting us back on topic.
Gentle reminder: this is the thread to discuss Faramir. Any discussion of the movie needs to take place in the movies forum. Thank you.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 08:03 PM   #65
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I liked Faramir. I thought he was a great man. What I like about him is he's willing to fight when someone is in danger but does not like war and such. I think that father favoured Boromir over him was that Denethor hated Gandalf, and Faramir liked him, and that Boromir seemed more "into" his country than Faramir. Faramir was less proud, but he didn't have low self-esteem. I felt so sorry for him when his father claimed he was dead, but I felt happy for him when he healed from his wound and got to marry Eowyn.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #66
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Sorry for the off-topic discussion.
Back to Faramir: I hated Denethor for not liking his almost perfect son.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #67
olsonm
Elf Lord

Tolkien hinted that it was a form of self-hate as Faramir was most like to Denethor of his sons. He wished Faramir was more like Boromir because Denethor wished he himself was more like Boromir. Not that he hated Faramir, I believe he loved him. But Denethor was a troubled man by the time of the war and seemed to have lost some of his wisdom.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:51 AM   #68
FattyBulger
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil

[QUOTE]Faramir is my favorite character in the books, and he's onw of the best anywhere.
He could probobly get away with a spin-off book of his own, I suspect.

Wow!!! Usually no one really thinks Faramir's cool! I totally agree Faramir Rules!

Boromir was Lord Denethor's first born. That can mean something. Personally, I think Denethor was TOTALLY mental to give Boromir more favour than Faramir. Not that Boromir isn't really cool too.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:39 AM   #69
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Did anyone ever say that Faramir wasn't good? Who is this person. Now I feel like punching somebody.

I think I remember Denethor saying that he rather would see Faramir dead.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:30 PM   #70
Silverleaf
Hobbit

~Faramir is one of my favorite characters.I felt very bad for him because Lord Denethor liked Boromir best. I remember I hated when Faramir asked him if it would have been better if he died and he said yes(something like that). That really got me mad. And in the movie how they made Faramir look sorta mean that also got me mad. Because my friend hated Faramir! I had to explain alot of things from the book.(she also did not pay attention to the part about his life being forfeit.)
Namárië
Your heart will be true
You walk a lonely road
Oh! How are you are from home
Mornie utulie
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie
A promise lives within you now May it be shadows call
Will fly away
May it be your journey on
To light the day
When the night is overcome
You may rise to find the sun
Mornie utulie
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie
A promise lives within you now
A promise lives within you now
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:35 AM   #71
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Image how hard life has to be, when your father always prefers your brother and you are only the dumb little brother. Poor Faramir.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:27 AM   #72
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverleaf
~Faramir is one of my favorite characters.I felt very bad for him because Lord Denethor liked Boromir best. I remember I hated when Faramir asked him if it would have been better if he died and he said yes(something like that). That really got me mad. And in the movie how they made Faramir look sorta mean that also got me mad. Because my friend hated Faramir! I had to explain alot of things from the book.(she also did not pay attention to the part about his life being forfeit.)
Namárië
I completely agree with you. I nearly cried at that bit when Denethor said he would rather that Faramir had died instead of Boromir.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:24 PM   #73
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
I completely agree with you. I nearly cried at that bit when Denethor said he would rather that Faramir had died instead of Boromir.
that was so mean ... how can a father be so cruel to his son.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:51 PM   #74
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Denethor might have been cruel and crazy, but I don't hate him for that. In fact I find Denethor quite intriguing. I think I wrote in my 'Catcher in the Rye'-thread that I like when characters in books are a bit crazy and have some mental disturbances. That makes them more interesting.
Besides, I don't think Denethor would have been as mean as he was toward Faramir if it wasn't for the PalantÃ*r. Sure, Denethor might have loved Boromir more than Faramir anyway, but he hadn't said to Faramir that it would've been better if he died instead of Boromir if it wasn't for the corruption caused by the PalantÃ*r.

One of the things I'm looking forward to in the RotK-film is to see Denethor (who will be played by John Noble if I remember correctly).
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 07:06 PM   #75
Orion
Enting

I don´t dislike Denethor either because he wasn´t nice to Faramir - I do like Faramir, a lot, but part of the reason why I like Faramir is because he must had had such a hard childhood and hard life; living under his brother´s shadow.. (I liked Faramir already in the first reading, when he appeared to the book, being so "Robin Hood" - like, and wise and intriquing..)
But I also like Denethor, he is very interesting and strong person, at least judged by UT.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:36 AM   #76
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Orion
I don´t dislike Denethor either because he wasn´t nice to Faramir - I do like Faramir, a lot, but part of the reason why I like Faramir is because he must had had such a hard childhood and hard life; living under his brother´s shadow.. (I liked Faramir already in the first reading, when he appeared to the book, being so "Robin Hood" - like, and wise and intriquing..)
But I also like Denethor, he is very interesting and strong person, at least judged by UT.
Never saw Faramir as Robin Hood.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:43 AM   #77
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Never saw Faramir as Robin Hood.
Neither did I. But I think Faramir reminded me of Aragorn and the Dúnedain, he was a little ranger-like when we first got to know him in Ithilien.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:47 AM   #78
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
of the reason why I like Faramir is because he must had had such a hard childhood and hard life; living under his brother´s shadow..
Actually, I think it's made quite clear, or at least strongly implied, that Faramir /didn't/ have a hard childhood and a hard life, that in fact he was quite well loved, and he got along with Boromir better than most siblings do.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:53 AM   #79
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Actually, I think it's made quite clear, or at least strongly implied, that Faramir /didn't/ have a hard childhood and a hard life, that in fact he was quite well loved, and he got along with Boromir better than most siblings do.
Yes, that's the impression I got when I read LotR. Boromir and Faramir seemed to be good friends when they were small. And during their childhood, Denethor didn't look that bad either.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:55 AM   #80
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Yes, that's the impression I got when I read LotR. Boromir and Faramir seemed to be good friends when they were small. And during their childhood, Denethor didn't look that bad either.
I guess there problems began when they grew up and Boromir became the warrior and Faramir more the thinker.