Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-23-2002, 12:47 PM   #61
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowdog
Lets enjoy them for what they are today and work to better them in any way we can.
*raises glas of miruvor* I'll drink to that!
Old 05-24-2002, 02:56 AM   #62
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel

*raises glas of miruvor* I'll drink to that!
As will I!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 05:05 AM   #63
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I have decided to refrain myself from talking about Viggo and Elijah's "hotness". I would like to see more discussions in the book forum. Maybe I should start a discussion...
Old 05-24-2002, 03:59 PM   #64
ecto2002
Sapling

Decline

In the week or so that I have been on Entmoot I have seen no decline... Entmoot needs us newbies - why getting rid of us would be like taking Merry and Pippen out of Lord of the Rings.

well I've said my bit - waavvveeee (and taking out the merry Bombadil for that matter)
ecto2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 05:41 PM   #65
dream wanderer
Sapling

I acended from lurkdom today... For the record I might be a newbie here but am not a newbie to Tolkien.

I am also on another popular Tolkien board...have been there for two years.

I think I can see where some of the oldbies here are talking about...we are seeing it on Tolkien boards all over the internet.

After the movies a definite shift took place. Movie people in love with Orlando/Liv/Viggo fill in the blank showed up. Good people...wrote some good posts...they were just crazy in love with Orlando/Liv/Viggo/ fill in the blank ....and the population exploded and things started to change.

I lost track of regular posters...thought they had left and only to find out there were still there...just posting in threads that I didn't get around to read. A crisis might happen on one of the fan worship threads...we in the general discussion thread knew nothing about it. In the old days we would rush over just to see what was happening and to add our two cents worth. Now we don't do that because the board has grown so.

But we knew it would happen. We thought we were ready for it but we were not. So its kind of sad...to see the end of the 'old board'...but every ending is a new begining....so enjoy your 'new' board.

dream wanderer
Old 05-24-2002, 06:13 PM   #66
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I don't think Entmoot has declined since I've been here - but then, I don't think there are levels of fan either. Face it, we're all just crazy freaks when it comes down to it. Different types of crazy, but all crazy.

Pssst . . . Elijah's hot!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 11:55 PM   #67
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Though I could be considered a relative newbie to both the board and Tolkien, I have seen a bit of a decline in this board, but that is no reason to completely remove oneself from it.

And the movie does not bring in just 'movie-only', boy crazy (or zenarwen crazy, depending) teenage fans who still say "Whatever" use "Like" as every other word in the sentence.

I saw the movie first. The movie is what introduced me to how incredible Tolkien is. I read all three books, the first in about four days, I think. I've only had a chance to read them once, but this is because of limited resources. I've read most of the Silmarillionm, and I plan on reading all of his works. I also think the books were better.

Even though some annoying characters have joined this board, and other just plain obnoxious ones, there are still a multitude of great people and disussions here on Entmoot, in the Tolkien forums. Perhaps we should not try to start new topics, but revive some of the better, older ones.
(sorry about the infected way of writing, I'm in a 'big word' mood)
Old 05-25-2002, 12:15 AM   #68
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

If we had a quiz we could ask "Which elf bore Frodo on a horse to Rivendell?" and if someone answered Arwen they could be banned for life.
Old 05-25-2002, 01:10 AM   #69
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Glorfindel! Glorfindel! Glorfindel!

Starr Polish, your an elf lord even of you don't qualify by measure of the Dec. 19 date. Have you read the hobbit? It must be read to fully appreciate Bilbo.

Yes, it isn't worth removing one's self from it. (see previous post)
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 01:34 AM   #70
Eruviel Greenleaf

So will I be banned for not having read The Hobbit?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-25-2002, 01:39 AM   #71
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

glorfindel who's he

you mean it wasn't arwen

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 01:48 AM   #72
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Glorfindel? Who's he? I thought it was Gil-gilad?
Old 05-25-2002, 02:20 AM   #73
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
So will I be banned for not having read The Hobbit?
I'm pure evil and they haven't banned me yet. EG, I meant it's good is all. I is powerless in moot, i is.......
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-25-2002, 02:34 AM   #74
Eruviel Greenleaf

I know, I know

I will read it, I just am currently in the middle of the Silmarillion, so. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-25-2002, 08:12 AM   #75
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Anybody who joined after December 19 cannot appreciate the full extent of Entmoot's decline, so I personally cannot take your views seriously. Snowdog summed up the situation nicely, and that's because he was around before the Movie was released.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 11:40 AM   #76
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Yes, I have read The Hobbit. I read it before the movie, and I hated it (ducks random flying objects). It was part of the reason I didn't read the other books until after I saw the movie. I have since re-read The Hobbit...it's not my favorite book, but I don't hate it anymore.

And CBG, I'm sorry you can't take my opinion seriously. I've read through older messages and a few of the archives. I know that is not the same thing, but believe I have a pretty good idea of this 'decline'.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:20 PM   #77
Eruviel Greenleaf

CBG, Starr Polish has a point, and I think some of us can sort of see the 'decline' even if we weren't around before Dec. 19th.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-26-2002, 01:53 AM   #78
Cirdan

One could go through the archives and chronicle each post as to it's worthiness. Develop a scoring system, maybe weighted by the significance of the topic. Then a 3d graph of the topography of the moot could by scientifically evaluated in an objective and meritocratic forum.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-26-2002, 02:05 AM   #79
BeardofPants
the Shrike

... Then construct a scatter graph and work out the margin of error.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:12 PM   #80
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I joined after Dec. 19th, you know. And i have seen some decline/evolution too. Not the full extent of it, that's true, but hey, I have seen enough to say something.
But some of you who were around when I was a newbie; you'll remeber this. I didn't know a thing when I joined the Moot. I asked stupid, obvious questions and so on, and I'm sure that Cbg hated me for all I was worth. I had read the Lord of the Rings in the third and fourth grade and hadn't really gotten the full picture. I'd read it again a few more times, but all the important stuff kinda sailed over my head. I saw the movie and it inspired me to read the books again. Now older, I could much better appreciate Tolkien's work, and I Wanted to learn more.

Now, months later, I irritate my schoolmates for talking in Quenya 30% of the time. FRODO LIVES! never manages to find it way off the board for long. I owe much of this to Entmoot, actually. HEre's one Newbie who changed; and Entmoot is different for me and all the others who showed up after the movie. AM I sorry I'm here? No. Are you sorry I'm here? Well, that's for you to answer. I'd like to know, actually, whether or not you are, if you care to tell.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote