Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2003, 09:02 AM   #61
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Legoles
I WANT A DRAGON, SO I CAN SCARE EVERYBODY AND PICK UP WHO EVER I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND GO AND KICK TERRORISTS BUTT. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Two of my friends are going to create dragons and take over earth. another one of my friends and I will escape on flying horses to fairyelfland ( I think that's what her relm is called....must call her...)

LoD
I am Morwen, Lady of Darkness.

Her head was bowed,
from all the tears and pain,
but she would rise again
Lady of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #62
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

It's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, so I'll just resurrect it.

Anyone read Dragonsblood, the newest Pern novel? It's by Todd McCaffrey, Anne's son. It's really good, and answers several of the mysteries from the other books-- how did the fire-lizards die out and lose contact with the humans? Why were "Jaxom's Rooms" built in Benden Weyr? What was the real purpose of watch-whers? How did that young dragonrider end up buried in solid rock?

I became a fan of Anne McCaffrey when I was about 13, and I read Dragondrums first, just because I came across it and it looked interesting. I think you can start with any book, but definitely the best to begin with is Dragonflight. For anyone new to the series, here's
a list of the Dragonriders of Pern novels in chronological order:
http://www.annemccaffrey.net/books/series/pern/chronology.html.

Also, here's a list of all Anne McCaffrey's books with publishing dates:
http://www.annemccaffrey.net/books/index.html.

My favorite series is certainly the Dragonriders of Pern, followed by the Talent/Tower & Hive series and then the Acorna books. I also like the Dinosaur Planet ones and the Brainships.

If anyone wants a really good Anne McCaffrey discussion board, go to http://annemccaffreyfans.org/forum/. I go on there sometimes as thedragoneth.

Another piece of interesting news is that Anne McCaffrey fanfiction is now officially allowed! Anne has posted her fan fiction rules on her official site, so please read them before posting your fan fiction online. I am currently writing one on fanfiction.net, so if you're interested, here's the link.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #63
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I'm a McCaffrey fan also. Love the Pern books. They're my favorites of all her series. Haven't read any of the Hive. My mom got me started on the Acorna series and I liked it, but not as well as the Crystal Singer series. I also like Dinosaur Planet.
I think I read one of the ship novels in while still in school, and then for some reason didn't try any of her other books until much later.

One of the reasons I like the Pern series so well is because you can see the same events from the perspectives of different characters.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #64
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

My dad loves Anne McCaffery. I'd love to read the Pern books but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:34 AM   #65
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Start with Dragonflight, Dragonsdawn, or Dragonsong. Those are all good beginnings, though Dragonflight was the first written.

Segovia Mazes
Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #66
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Thanks Elanor. I'll start there.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:40 PM   #67
damiynn
Sapling

Anne takes to long to get to the point

I have read three short stories and two of the books by this storied writer and even met her but I cant stand her books. She takes way to long to get to the point of anything that she is telling, for example the second book in her dragonriders,, I read the book 3/4 of the way through and still didnt have a clue where the story was going. The dragons are great the characters are great but the storyteller takes too long. Try these instead,, dragonlance ,, dark elf series,, rune lords or The Kingdom Chronicles by A V Wedhorn, or Martin Thrones series all much better than Anne
damiynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:32 AM   #68
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I like Anne McCaffrey's books because they're so unique. I find the repetetive and predictable "canned fantasy" novels like Dragonlance kind of boring, and I like the mix of Fantasy themes and Science Fiction in the Pern books. I think her brand of Science Fiction is dying out, and should be revived. Seems like it's all limping fantasy, superheros, and StarTrekky stuff nowdays.

I would love to see Pern made into a movie. Maybe just "Dragonflight", since it has such a strong plot and exposes the world so well. "Dragonsdawn" would also make a nice one. CGing the dragons would take a lot of work and artistry, though. But since LotR, HP, and Narnia have done so well, I can see this actually happening at some point in the near future.

I've also read some of Anne McCaffrey's other series'. My favorites are The Talent/Pegasus books, the Dinosaur Planet/Planet Pirates ones, and the Brain Ships. I also enjoy the Acorna series, though it's a bit more fluffy, and the time travel doesn't hold up to any level of scrutiny. The stories are very cute, and fun for light reading.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #69
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
My dad loves Anne McCaffery. I'd love to read the Pern books but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
dragonsong, dragonsinger, and then dragondrums

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #70
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady of Darkness
I was scrolling through and noticed, no one had put up an Anne McCaffery thread! either no one readsher books except for me or something else. my second favorite set of books ( after LOTR which I have read 10 times!!!) are the Dragonriders of Pern series. my sister got tired of me reading the same Anne McCaffery books and dragged me to the library. She took me to the Dragonriders asle and told me that she would be back in a half-hour and was leaving me w/ my "shrine". Poor, misguided girl. She doesn't realize that my shrine is my room with the Tolkien books and Anne McCaffery books all in a pile. the thing is, which ones should I read first?????
i read DRAGON SONG, DRAGON SINGER , AND DRAGON DRUMS and i think they are the best book...read those ones

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #71
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I started with Dragonflight, which was great, and then read Dragonquest (the most boring Pern book, IMO). Luckily the Harper Hall Trilogy that followed, i.e. the three that Tamuril is so crazy about, were the best.

The ones I like most are Dragonsinger and The White Dragon... I loved the songs, and the Masters, and the fire lizards in Dragonsinger, and Ruth has got to be the most likeable dragon.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote