Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2002, 06:14 PM   #61
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Sam Gamgee

I'm definately in the Lord of the Rings WAAAAY over my head! Me and my friend r the only one's in my form, i think, who have even heard of Prf. T.

*exaggeration alert!*

On Thursday, we were in R.E (Religious Ed.) and we were doing this project thing and the teacher told us 2 keep it safe. Then, at exactly the same time, My friend and i said

'Keep it secret! Keep it safe!'

We got some really funny looks! I don't care how nuts people think us Tolkien fans r. At least we've experienced something worth experiencing.

*sermon over*

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 11:42 AM   #62
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, quoting the Fellowship movie in religion class isn't all that weird, try doing Monty Python sketches for rednecks! there's an experience for ya....talk about make no points with the locals....

As long as you don't go about with a Gandalf hat, bare hairy feet and pointy ears, and giving impromptu public poetry readings in Sindarin on dontown street corners, no one's to worry. Just enjoy your Tolkien.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 06:08 PM   #63
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
my hormones aren't so out of control
*chuckles* Oh-Kay. If you say so.

Frodo Friend: High School does suck. Trust me. to know. But let me put it this way:

Last year, I went into an independent study because, although I was pretty popular, most of the teachers at my school seemed to go out of thier way to act like Afro-Elf's vision of feanor. ]: ) But, do you know, not ONE of my 'friends' from school have talked to me since. I'm not kidding. The majority of people you meet every day are only willing to be friends as long as it doesn't take any commitment on thier part. I say, forget them.

On the other hand, I have good friends thgat live hours away whom I can somehow always count on. I've met people who i knew after fifteen minutes were going to be friends for life. And hey, I've got one or two people from forums like this whom I consider good friends. So it really comes down to the attidudes that both parties have towards friendship.

Myself, I not only think most of my good friends are wierd, I know they are. Wouldn't change them for the world, either. But then, I'm a pretty wierd guy myself. ]: )
Old 02-03-2002, 06:19 PM   #64
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Independent study, eh? I wish I'd done that, but it's too late now. If I did, probably none of my friends from school would keep contact with me, except maybe one. My best friend doesn't go to my school anymore (thanks to my parents annoying habit of moving every other year), but at least I get to talk to her sometimes.

You're right about just saying "forget them" about lousy half-friends like that, but it's awfully difficult because I don't have many people I can talk to. Maybe that's why I spend so much time here . . . at least almost everyone on Entmoot is intelligent and mature.

Anyone here in college? PLEASE tell me it's not like high school! I've been counting on that one fact to get me through!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 11:49 AM   #65
sepulchrave
Enting

It is nothing like high school.
point #1: the people are attending because they want to be there, for the most part.
point #2: the students are genuinely interested in what they are studying, for the most part
point #3: hopefully, the maturity factor has increased, again, for the most part....
and lastly, there are people in college from all walks of life, not simply freshly graduated highschoolers.
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 11:49 AM   #66
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Sam Gamgee

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
try doing Monty Python sketches [/B]
Been there, done that, got the funniest looks u've ever seen!!

'We r the knights who say ...

NI!'

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 06:25 PM   #67
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Location: only after 11pm and in an altered state of conciousness
There seem to be two types of people in this world: people who like the Fantasy and SF genres and those poor, pitiful, deprived creatures who don't. Personally I like to call them Mundanes (Babylon 5 fans will know the reference). I'm quite happy to associate with Mundanes, after all I do have other interests, however for my closest friends I prefer people like us.

But as for whether my friends think I'm a loser, here's an example of Mundane behaviour which goes waaaay beyond that. My last proper boyfriend dumped me because I like SF and Fantasy! How's that for sad!

Ah the Mundanes how I pity them!

Mod of Mirkwood forum at:
http://pub28.ezboard.com/bmiddleearth99434

Self Proclaimed Lady Of General Messages, Minx of the 'Moot and semi-retired Official Flirt Of The Slipstream, Discipula Lenta and Warrior Priestess of the Wayists. Queen of Dramatic Tension in many RPs.

In the process of setting up a new SF/Fantasy based fanzine. I want Fanfic, short stories, poetry, filks, reviews, artwork, anything you've got really but most of all IDEAS!!!!. You write it I'll take a look at it.

At the moment I can't pay for submissions but all contributors will recieve a complimentary copy and I am confident that I will be able to pay one day.

Please PM me if you have anything.

Never but never buy a computer from TIME. If you want to know why please ask.

Andromeda fans check out:

http://www.slipstreambbs.com/
Lady Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 06:43 PM   #68
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
They aren't, they aren't I say! I've contemplated proclaiming myself 'nonsexual'...but anyway.

I am so wishing I was doing independent study or partial homeschool, or 'no-schooling'. I like to work at my own pace, and do my own thing. I HATE most of the people in my school, especially the ignorant jocks who just copy off everyone else so they can stay on the team.

I come from a small school. Drama, music and the other arts are overlooked and 'short sheeted' in favor of the football team. This ultimately sucks when you are considering majoring in one of the fine arts. Also, in my state, it is legal to not have to take gym if you take eight academic classes (ie, no studyhall), but our school makes you do 'alternate gym'. Stoopid.

I could go on and on...but I have college to look forward to
Old 02-04-2002, 09:04 PM   #69
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Good luck! I give you the same observations as sepulchrave.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 09:16 PM   #70
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Starr polish... It's "Asexual"

But you mean that there are girls who aren't just boy crazy nimphomaniacs in skimpy garments who are to brainless to serve any purpose than to be ogled by equally hormonal-driven preps with too much money and domineering parents?

*Gasp* Wow... I had no Idea!
Old 02-04-2002, 09:23 PM   #71
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Well, I know you're supposed to say that, but some people are ignorant and think that that word has only one definition (being able to reproduce with yourself...)

Oh yes. I mean, yes, I've had 'crushes' on people and find people attractive, but I'm not all that eager to 'jump on them' or anything. ::shrug:: I have more important things to worry about

Old 02-04-2002, 10:38 PM   #72
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Well... I am all to often ready to 'jump on people'-female or otherwise. Can you imagine the policemen took away my concealed weapons permit and my prescious knife collection? Yes! Curse them, Gollum!

]: )

Wayfarer-still to evil to bother with sex.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:43 PM   #73
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

::exasperated sigh:: You knew what I meant, you.

I do often get piggy back rides from one of my good guy friends, but that's just because it makes me feel tall!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:50 PM   #74
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Me, I like hugs.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:16 AM   #75
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

It's very hard to find a girl who is in the slightest bit intellectual (outside of entmoot, of course). I'm hoping college will be a little more promising which, Iv'e been informed, Is not. I may be forced to remain a bachelor. *sigh*. *dramatic music fades out*
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:30 AM   #76
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

BTW, it also depends on which university you'll be going to. Anyway, good luck in life.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 01:25 AM   #77
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

It's equally difficult to find any guys who are the least bit intellectual (outside of Entmoot), and when you do find one he usually has an ego bigger than Ungoliant. Plus they expect you to be all dumb and cute-like and cultivate their huge egos. *shudder*

sepulchrave, I'm glad to hear that college is better than high school!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 02-05-2002, 01:31 AM   #78
sepulchrave
Enting

i have only the Canadian experience to go by...
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 01:40 AM   #79
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Well, I wasn't planning on attending college in the US! UK, maybe, or Australia. People must be smarter there! After all, the Professor was British.

Old 02-05-2002, 05:43 AM   #80
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Us in de UK ar ded smart coz we ave... erm... cheez?
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote