Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #61
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Yep. Whether one blinds oneself or is blinded by others, one is equally blind.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #62
Mari
Elf Lady

It is quite scary, but it happens everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Is it blindness when the government decides what people should see?
Didn't we see the same thing happen when the war between the US and Iraq just started? The media for both sides broadcasted only that which suited the government best, with the only difference that people during that war had acces to Internet to try and see more than what was shown on TV.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #63
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Yep. Whether one blinds oneself or is blinded by others, one is equally blind.
I can agree with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Didn't we see the same thing happen when the war between the US and Iraq just started? The media for both sides broadcasted only that which suited the government best, with the only difference that people during that war had acces to Internet to try and see more than what was shown on TV.
Yes and no I suppose. The American media is mostly free and can report news from any approach they chose. All media is slanted in some way - bias is practically unavoidable - but in a free country such as the US there are media with different slants and not just one "truth". The combined free press in the US was thus likely to give more nuanced reports of the war than was the heavily regulated media in Iraq (which was used to spread propaganda). Prior to and during the war, I watched both FOX news and CNN

But of course the US military supplied the American media with a selection information and pictures - just the stuff that the military wanted published and broadcast. So even if the media was free to publish whatever news they could get their hands on, their biggest source of information probably came from the military anyway.

In a futile effort to get back on topic in this post, I don't think there's much of a free press in North Korea
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote