Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #61
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hey, I noticed a post on men's hurdles, which reminded me of women's hurdles. I absolutely love Perdita Felicien, but unfortunately she's injured and not going to compete this time. Wise of her to recover properly. She has many great years of competition ahead of her.

I can still cheer for Ontarian hurdler Priscilla Lopes-Schliep.

Eärniel, if you guys win the women's 4x100m relay, don't you dare share it with Mari! The Netherlands have 12 medals.

We have more than a few athletes who are originally from other countries. For example, Jujie Luan the fencer, originally from China.

She had a pretty good run. I think it meant a lot to her to fence in front of her home country. She had a little red flag that said "Hello my home country" in Chinese characters, IIRC.

I just heard about that. I've watched less than five minutes of actual competition.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #62
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
Hey, I noticed a post on men's hurdles, which reminded me of women's hurdles. I absolutely love Perdita Felicien, but unfortunately she's injured and not going to compete this time. Wise of her to recover properly. She has many great years of competition ahead of her.
Susanna Kallur fell on the first hurdle in the semifinals. She's a very well-liked athlete here, so this will be all over the news. Poor thing will have to wait another four years for another shot at an Olympic gold medal...

Btw, a record 5.05m in the women's pole vault. Way to go, Elena Isinbayeva
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-18-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #63
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Eärniel, if you guys win the women's 4x100m relay, don't you dare share it with Mari! The Netherlands have 12 medals.
Heck no, the relay girls are entirely ours! I'm only willing to partially share any possible glory from Lansink because he has ridden Olympics for the Dutch. But they're so not getting our relay team!

The girls got bronze on the last [World] Championship. It would be nice if they could equal that. But I shouldn't get my hopes up too soon, I guess. Kim Gevaert just said in an interview that her muscle injury is playing up again, and that coupled with the mental backlash she got from missing out on the 100m final, can likely be a hindrance.

You know, I seriously wouldn't want to be one of the favourite sportsmen or women on the Games. The stress that's on them to do well must be friggin' enormous. And four years is long for another shot at Olympic glory. I don't think I'd be able to mentally cope with all that.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #64
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Susanna Kallur fell on the first hurdle in the semifinals. She's a very well-liked athlete here, so this will be all over the news. Poor thing will have to wait another four years for another shot at an Olympic gold medal...
That sucks. My beloved Perdita Felicien tripped on a hurdle at Athens, and now she can't compete in this Olympics because she had fractured her foot in February. I really hope she has the chance to rock 2012.

Quote:
Yeah, wow, that's fantastic!!

For someone who doesn't care about the Olympics, I sure... um... care. (I can't help it! I love sports! Sometimes, despite the best efforts of the IOC, sports actually occur at the Olympics! And so, I care.)
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #65
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:

Yeah, I saw that fall. The Norwegian journalist was wiping the tear of Kallur's face, poor girl.

Oh well, in about 4 hours it's showdown in women's handball. Norway vs Sweden! Kom igjen Norge It'll be tough though. I have no illusions about the Swedes.

N'dure is injured.. had to pull out of the 200 meters semi's. Sucks.

Only bright spot for Norway today was bronze in the, I don't know the English name for it, Sprangridning? Horse leap riding? Over those hurdles..

The coolest part of today was watching those two Kenyans (and the Frenchie) completely own the rest of the runners in the can't-remember-the-distance race (it involved hurdles). They just sped off in the end! It made me laugh!
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #66
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Coffeehouse: in English, we call the horse-riding events 'Equestrian". I don't know much about it (Rian might - probably a few others) - so I don't know if there was a particular name for a certain part of it you're talking about.

And the distance race with the hurdle-like barriers - is called The Steeplechase. One of these days I'll have to google it and find out why.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 AM   #67
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Equestrian? Hmm. I always called it horse riding.

Now that I think about it...Lewis Black certainly has a point.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #68
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse
Oh well, in about 4 hours it's showdown in women's handball. Norway vs Sweden! Kom igjen Norge It'll be tough though. I have no illusions about the Swedes.
Congrats Coffeehouse, Norway came out on top. Now proceed to win that gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse
Only bright spot for Norway today was bronze in the, I don't know the English name for it, Sprangridning? Horse leap riding? Over those hurdles..
Darn, the Swedish jump team had a good shot at a medal there but failed to deliver. Congrats Norway though!

As Val said, the sport is indeed called equestrian. There are three events - dressage, jumping and eventing (which is a combination). Riders compete individually and/or in teams.
The equestrian events are all held in Hong Kong, not Beijing. Quarantine reasons maybe?

Btw, has anyone seen the synchronized swimming? I've never watched this event before. It's quite amazing, the moves they perform in the water - and in perfect sync too! Wow

Well, in a couple of hours I'll be off to watch Stefan Holm (hopefully) become the first man ever to defend an Olympic gold in the men's high jump! *Waves flag*
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-19-2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:11 AM   #69
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
And the distance race with the hurdle-like barriers - is called The Steeplechase. One of these days I'll have to google it and find out why.
I'm guessing that it comes from the equestrian event, where in days of yore, the landed gentry would race across the fields from steeple to steeple, jumping over all the fences in their way. Subsequently, horse racing over jumps is also called "steeplechasing".

They could make it really traditional by having them trample a few rows of crops along the way, and get glared at by resentful yet impotent peasants.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:52 AM   #70
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
The equestrian events are all held in Hong Kong, not Beijing. Quarantine reasons maybe?
I've heard infrastructure reasons being cited. Hongkong would have larger stables and riding fields, better for hosting such a large competition.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #71
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
They could make it really traditional by having them trample a few rows of crops along the way, and get glared at by resentful yet impotent peasants.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #72
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Do you mean the event where horses to jump over a series of fences like this? In English that's called show jumping.

I think horses jump over obstacles in the steeplechase too, but that does not appear to be an Olympic event.

EDIT: We won silver and Norway won bronze in team jumping! [Link]. The USA won the gold.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 08-19-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #73
Coffeehouse

Quote:
^

Do you mean the event where horses to jump over a series of fences like this? In English that's called show jumping.

I think horses jump over obstacles in the steeplechase too, but that does not appear to be an Olympic event.

EDIT: We won silver and Norway won bronze in team jumping! [Link]. The USA won the gold.
Yeah that's right I saw the event and the Canadian woman did this perfect round, no penalties I think. We never had a medal in this event I think! Hah it's the first time I seen this event, but it's kinda cool how some of the horses just refuse to pull down hurdles
Old 08-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #74
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Congrats Coffeehouse, Norway came out on top. Now proceed to win that gold
Darn, the Swedish jump team had a good shot at a medal there but failed to deliver. Congrats Norway though!

As Val said, the sport is indeed called equestrian. There are three events - dressage, jumping and eventing (which is a combination). Riders compete individually and/or in teams.

Btw, has anyone seen the synchronized swimming? I've never watched this event before. It's quite amazing, the moves they perform in the water - and in perfect sync too! Wow

Well, in a couple of hours I'll be off to watch Stefan Holm (hopefully) become the first man ever to defend an Olympic gold in the men's high jump! *Waves flag*
Thanx man we're aiming for Gold in women's handball this year! We only have one gold so far in these olympics anyways..
Old 08-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #75
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Thanx man we're aiming for Gold in women's handball this year! We only have one gold so far in these olympics anyways..
... a gold won by a native Swede, I might add
Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #76
Coffeehouse

Quote:
... a gold won by a native Swede, I might add
Whaa Olav Tufte is a native Swede?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #77
Jonathan

Oops, my mistake. It was the Norwegian breaststroke bronze and nothing else
Old 08-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #78
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
I'm guessing that it comes from the equestrian event, where in days of yore, the landed gentry would race across the fields from steeple to steeple, jumping over all the fences in their way. Subsequently, horse racing over jumps is also called "steeplechasing".

Must be partly why my own peasant ancestors pulled up stakes and took a one-way trip across the Atlantic!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:07 AM   #79
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Must be partly why my own peasant ancestors pulled up stakes and took a one-way trip across the Atlantic!
Indeed. That and getting evicted to make way for sheep. Still, it worked out well for them

Still, our lot are doing incredibly well. Looks like being our best-ever Olympics.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 08-20-2008 at 04:10 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #80
Coffeehouse

BOLT!!!

So fassssssssssssssssssst!!!

New WORLD RECORD: 19.30, 200 meters. Mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!