Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-22-2005, 07:02 PM   #61
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemel
btw, I note my freedom to use the term 'USAmerican' has also been constrained as my post above was edited so that the word became merely 'American' and my abbreviation 'USAm' has been rendered 'US'. Perhaps my point that freedom is not absolute has been demonstrated?
What does that have to do with governmental freedoms. Private institutions can detemine any standards they want. The government can't do anythign about you using that assinine USAmerican term - but a private company, organization, business can. Just like the government cant' do anythign about someone saying "nigger' or "spic" or "honkey" - but if you used such language in a company - you could be fired.

You seem to not understand freedom. Freedom is from the government - not from private institutions. If you don't like something - you can always go somewhere else. If you want to use the idiotic term USAmerican - you can always go to some other messageboard where no one has a problem with it. However - if a government doesn't allow freedom - you have no recourse. There is a big difference and I wish you would understand it, but it seems very few understand the difference in freedom from government invasion and people setting their own standards of conduct. For instance - if you have a house - would you set rules that visitors must follow? or would you just let them walk on yiour tables and chairs because that's what they feel they should be able to do? That isn't a lack of freedom - the government hasn''t instituted those rules - however, you have because it's your house. Do you get it now?

And again - no acknowledgement of the freedoms you enjoy. But I guess maybe you don't feel you have any freedom. Come on now though - England has just banned fox hunting - lack of freedom, outlaw of guns - lack of freedom, control on drug use - lack of freedom. I can list tons and tons of things that you don't have freedom to do in your country, or even in the US - but it seems like people can't appreciate how much freedom they do have - mostly through a misunderstanding of what freedom is.

BTW - it wasn't edited to "merely" American - it was edited to the correct term for the citizens of the US - "American". You show your contempt with it's use and your lack of understanding - this is especially demonstrated by your use of the word "merely"

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-22-2005 at 07:05 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:32 PM   #62
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemel
btw, I note my freedom to use the term 'USAmerican' has also been constrained as my post above was edited so that the word became merely 'American' and my abbreviation 'USAm' has been rendered 'US'. Perhaps my point that freedom is not absolute has been demonstrated?
hahahahaha how very appropriate
excellent posts Hemel.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #63
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
excellent posts Hemel.
yeah - of course you think it is. It's basically let's **** the Americans.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #64
Millane
The Dude

JD I dont think Hemel's confused about Freedom, i think that she's trying to say that these freedoms are undermined so much through society...
for instance it doesnt matter if a controversial movie is banned or not if no cinema will show it...
Just to clarify whats wrong with USAmerican, and if its been edited i sure hope Nigger, spic and Honkey will be edited to...
Old 02-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #65
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
excellent posts Hemel.
The only freedom any of you have on Entmoot, is the freedom that the administration allows you to have. Entmoot is not a free country. As tater use to say: "Entmoot is a dictatorship."

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:41 PM   #66
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
yeah - of course you think it is. It's basically let's **** the Americans.
hahaha what on a topic of appreciating our freedoms someones post is edited stopping them from expressing themselves, cant you smell the irony
Im afraid of Americans, JD

Last edited by Millane : 02-22-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #67
jerseydevil

Quote:
JD I dont think Hemel's confused about Freedom, i think that she's trying to say that these freedoms are undermined so much through society...
for instance it doesnt matter if a controversial movie is banned or not if no cinema will show it...
You can always get the movie and there is always some theater which will show it. If it was outlawed by the government - sucj as books in Germany - then you can't get it period and you can be arrested. You see the difference or do you need it spelled out a little more?
Quote:
Just to clarify whats wrong with USAmerican, and if its been edited i sure hope Nigger, spic and Honkey will be edited to...
I wasn't referring to anyone by those names, nor do I ever use them - if i was - then they would be edited out. She WAS referring to us as USAmericans which to me is arrogant and deragatory and shows no respect for our country.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-22-2005, 07:46 PM   #68
jerseydevil

Quote:
hahaha what on a topic of appreciating our freedoms someones post is edited stopping them from expressing themselves, cant you smell the irony
yeah - Millane you might recall that various terms have been edited out on entmoot becuase people complained - such as my constant use of "Hack" to describe jackson. As I said - which you srtill dont' seem to understand - this is about governmental freedoms. I can't do whatever I want in a private community. Some peole seem to be too dense to understand the concept of this thread though.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #69
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Just like the government cant' do anythign about someone saying "nigger' or "spic" or "honkey" - but if you used such language in a company - you could be fired.
actually, if you use any term deemed by the gov't (in UK) to be derogatory or offensive to a racial or religious group, you will be arrested for inciting racial or religious hatred.

Just as the BNP leader was a short time ago
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:48 PM   #70
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
It is my job to make sure this board runs smoothly. If a term is being used that certian people find offensive then it will be edited. I have for this reason in the past asked that it not be used. If any term/name, ANY such as the examples JD gave were ever used, you can be sure that they would be edited out of the post, if not completely deleting the post. That's the way it is.

I find no reason to allow or to continue useing the term "USAmerican" if it is going to cause problems an is found to be offensive to some members.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #71
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
You can always get the movie and there is always some theater which will show it.
not necessarily, even if a controversial movie is shown in theaters it will usually be only in Melb or Sydney. Now australia's a big country which makes it not really possible at all...
Quote:
If it was outlawed by the government - sucj as books in Germany - then you can't get it period and you can be arrested.
ok and now something that im happy about with this country, if a movie is banned then there are people who are willing to be arrested in order to show this movie... like Margeret Pomeranz, what a hero
Quote:
She WAS referring to us as USAmericans which to me is arrogant and deragatory and shows no respect for our country.
ohhh god who really cares. for ****s sake ignore it if you want but editing it out, seems like some people are a bit too hyperactive
Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #72
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
ohhh god who really cares. for ****s sake ignore it if you want but editing it out, seems like some people are a bit too hyperactive
Apparently some do care. And if editing it out is the only way to keep the peace here because people do not want to willingly cooperate, then that's the way it is.

Speaking of freedom: I'm surprised you haven't had some complaints about your sig. Good thing, cause I would have to edit it if you got any.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #73
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
actually, if you use any term deemed by the gov't (in UK) to be derogatory or offensive to a racial or religious group, you will be arrested for inciting racial or religious hatred.

Just as the BNP leader was a short time ago
Well then I gues you don't really live in a free country then. Here you can freely call someone a nigger or a spic - at least the government can't do anything about it. You might get punched in the mouth by someone it offends though.

By the way - can I freely use the term Euro-whiner now? I'll let Hemel use USAmericans if I can use the term Euro-whiners as a general discription of Europeans. I'm sure it wouldn't offend anyone - because it's just a term. Oh and also - because of the EU - you will no longer be your nationality names - you will just be Euro-whiners. I think the french will just be cheese eating monkeys. The german just krauts (or what about nazis - that's always a good one), I'm sure I can come up with names for everyone. I'm trying to think about the english now - oh yes - I know it's "supposed" to be british and god knows there was enough whining on this board in 2002 when I would use the term English to describe the British - so I stopped. But since we aren't given the same respect - I don't see the need to give it to others.

Then we can all be happy in our little freedoms of expression and there won't be anymore irony on this thread. I can say what I think of you - and you can say what you think about Americans. And we can all be completely disrespectful to each other - but hey - at least we'll have complete freedom of expression.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-22-2005, 08:05 PM   #74
jerseydevil

Quote:
Of course it wouldn't bother you - what would you care - you're not American. You're just living in mini-America.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #75
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

well i most certainly am not british, i am english, although i won't go so far as to say "proud" thatcher/major/blair ruined that for me, and you can call me whatever you like, we are both in "free" societies [quote HA unquote]
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:16 PM   #76
jerseydevil

Quote:
not necessarily, even if a controversial movie is shown in theaters it will usually be only in Melb or Sydney. Now australia's a big country which makes it not really possible at all...
You can rent it - you can buy it off the internet. When it's outlawed by the government - then you can be put to jail for even having it in your house. Ask the kraut's about Mein Kampf. Can they get it - can they even order it off the net? Hell no they can't. They have to come to a free country like America and get it.

I now see that this thread has come down to this. But oh well - this is the type of thread you guys want - with people bitching at each other? Then fine, I'll go for it. I was just trying to have people think about the many things they have to be thankful for to live in free countries - even with some problems. But that seems to be too difficult for so people to understand. So - here it is - let the fighting, name calling and arrogant comments begin.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-22-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #77
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
well i most certainly am not british, i am english, although i won't go so far as to say "proud" thatcher/major/blair ruined that for me, and you can call me whatever you like, we are both in "free" societies [quote HA unquote]
Obviously you're not as free in a Euro-whiner state as in the great US of A - because as you said - you can be put in jail for saying nigger, spic,etc.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-22-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:43 PM   #78
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
If you want to use the idiotic term USAmerican - you can always go to some other messageboard where no one has a problem with it.
I think you and perhaps SGH are the only ones that have a problem with it.

I have more of a problem with "idiotic" (that you just used)than "USAmerican". Hemel has explained that from her POV as a Brit, this was a term that she thought of as affectionate and distinctive. If this were used by someone that was continually insulting Americans, then I would have a problem with it. But come on - this is Hemel - one of the most consistently pleasant people on Entmoot! Consistently thoughtful and kind posts.

I think you entirely misunderstood her post on conformity. I think it was a brillant post on the general topic of freedom in societies and what it really means. Unfortunately you took it as an insult IMO, it was not off-topic at all, and it illustrated a very important point, and a point that we should all examine in our own lives - the results of the pressure to conform, even if "officially" we don't have to. Absolutely spot on, very on-topic, very thought-provoking and well thought out, and a great contribution.

I think perhaps Hemel is leaving Entmoot over this I understand that Entmoot is run by admins, and is not a democracy, and I respect this (and I also happen to like and respect the admins). I think Hemel's loss would be a terrible loss for Entmoot, and I hope she will reconsider. I think we all need to be more tolerant of others, as so many people say yet don't practice. Shall we stop using "Brit" because it's not accurate? I don't see any objections from the Brits over that term. They're being understanding and tolerant, because they understand that that is an affectionate term when we use it. And Hemel has stated that USAmerican is an affectionate term when she uses it. I think we should return the favor, and allow the use of USAmerican, and choose to not be offended when it's very clear that no offence was meant (on the contrary, as she explained many times, it's an affectionate term for her to use).

Quote:
BTW - it wasn't edited to "merely" American - it was edited to the correct term for the citizens of the US - "American". You show your contempt with it's use and your lack of understanding - this is especially demonstrated by your use of the word "merely"
Why isn't my use of the term "Brit" ever corrected?

You are calling her a liar, btw, by saying she is showing "contempt" by the use of this word, when she has clearly said it's an affectionate term, and one that for her, as a non-US-citizen, is a helpful term in terms of being more accurate for how a non-US-citizen views things. I think we should be more tolerant of other people's POVs, esp. when it is abundantly clear that no offence is meant at ALL.

I hope you don't leave, Hemel!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #79
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Obviously you're not as free in a Euro-whiner state as in the great US of A - because as you said - you can be put in jail for saying nigger, spic,etc.
Would someone (JD or an admin) please edit out "Euro-whiner"? I find that offensive and inaccurate. I am aware of no state called "Euro-whiner".

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #80
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I think you and perhaps SGH are the only ones that have a problem with it.

I have more of a problem with "idiotic" (that you just used)than "USAmerican". Hemel has explained that from her POV as a Brit, this was a term that she thought of as affectionate and distinctive. If this were used by someone that was continually insulting Americans, then I would have a problem with it. But come on - this is Hemel - one of the most consistently pleasant people on Entmoot! Consistently thoughtful and kind posts.
She didn't start using it because it was affectionate and distinctive. And I don't care if you think that idiot is less offensive than USAmerican - last time I looked you weren't me. I find, as well as many others - find the term offensive. On Wikipedia they also had an issue with USAmerican and they outlawed it's use because many Americans THERE were complainging - many Americans on this board have complained - not just SGH and I. She shows no respect toward using that term.
Quote:
I think you entirely misunderstood her post on conformity. I think it was a brillant post on the general topic of freedom in societies and what it really means. Unfortunately you took it as an insult IMO, it was not off-topic at all, and it illustrated a very important point, and a point that we should all examine in our own lives - the results of the pressure to conform, even if "officially" we don't have to. Absolutely spot on, very on-topic, very thought-provoking and well thought out, and a great contribution.
I didn't take that as an insult. i took her USAmerican as an insult - her pressure to conform post was not on topic though. What is the title of the thread agian Rian? Can you read it? It says - "What makes you thankful to live in a free country?" So tell me - where in her post did it have anything about that? It didn't - it whined about how people are influenced by society - well tough ****. It isn't the government saying you must get a belly ring or that you must have you hair cut a certain way. That has nothing to do with freedom - that has to do with how insecure you are as a person.
Quote:
I think perhaps Hemel is leaving Entmoot over this I understand that Entmoot is run by admins, and is not a democracy, and I respect this (and I also happen to like and respect the admins). I think Hemel's loss would be a terrible loss for Entmoot, and I hope she will reconsider. I think we all need to be more tolerant of others, as so many people say yet don't practice. Shall we stop using "Brit" because it's not accurate? I don't see any objections from the Brits over that term. They're being understanding and tolerant, because they understand that that is an affectionate term when we use it.
And Hemel has stated that USAmerican is an affectionate term when she uses it. I think we should return the favor, and allow the use of USAmerican, and choose to not be offended when it's very clear that no offence was meant (on the contrary, as she explained many times, it's an affectionate term for her to use).
How is Brit not accurate? It's an appreviation for British - which they themselves sometimes use. However - I have yet to hear of an american call themselves a USAmerican. As for returning the favor - I will return it when she stops using USAmerican. It's not what we are called - no one calls us that - and it is an assinine thing to call us. She doesn't mean it in an affectionate way - she merely uses it because some damn canuck told her they didn't like her using it.
Quote:
Why isn't my use of the term "Brit" ever corrected?
Because it's an abbreviation for British which I have heard them sometimes use.
Quote:
You are calling her a liar, btw, by saying she is showing "contempt" by the use of this word, when she has clearly said it's an affectionate term, and one that for her, as a non-US-citizen, is a helpful term in terms of being more accurate for how a non-US-citizen views things. I think we should be more tolerant of other people's POVs, esp. when it is abundantly clear that no offence is meant at ALL.
It is not a more accurate term - we've been called Americans for 200+ years. Everyone calls us Americans. Personally I don't really care if Hemel leaves. I don't have a problem with her personally - but if she insists on using USAmerican - then it's her free choose to leave. As for calling her a liar - so what if she says she uses it affectionately - which she never said that. She said she used USAmerican because some canadian said that it bothered her that she used American to describe American citizens. Are we now expected to change God Bless America Rian? She shows contempt because she shows a lack of respect for insisting to use THIS term on an AMERICAN board. She can go to a Euro-whiner board if she wants to use it.
Quote:
I hope you don't leave, Hemel!!
She doesn't have to leave - she can just stop using that assinine term.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-22-2005 at 09:06 PM.