Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #641
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Pope Benedict XVI to resign

In what can only be described as a shocking move, Pope Benedict XVI has elected to resign on February 28 2013.

The last occurence of papal resignation occurred in 1415, nearly 600 years ago. At this time Pope Gregory XII resigned as there were three claimants to the Papal throne (The Western Schism); (Anti)pope Benedict XIII in Avignon and (Anti)pope John XXIII in Pisan. The two Antipopes also resigned, and a new Pope was elected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304
From BBC News:
"At 78, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was one of the oldest new popes in history when elected.

The BBC's Alan Johnston in Rome says the news has come "out of the blue", and that there was no speculation whatsoever about the move in recent days.

A Vatican spokesman indicated that even the Pope's closest aides did not know what he was planning to do."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...348481339.html
From al-Jazeera:
"The pope announced that he will leave his ministry at 8:00 pm (19:00 GMT) on February 28," said a Vatican spokesman, Federico Lombardi, on Monday.

Benedict, born Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger, is the 265th Pope, and began his papacy on April 19, 2005.

The Pope had announced his decision in Latin during a canonisation ceremony on Monday morning, reported Al Jazeera's Sabina Castelfranco from Bologna. She said the move to resign was "something that we have not seen in modern times".

Benedict, 85, said that he no longer had the strength to fulfill his duties, due to his advanced age, the Reuters news agency reported.

"For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter," he said according to a statement from the Vatican."
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #642
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quite a development. You have to wonder if there is more to this than we are hearing so far. Lots of popes have hung on till the bitter end despite senility and failing health and such. Also, what kind of severance package do they give a pope anyway...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #643
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

One hand, I think it's a courageous move to resign such a high office with so many perks and people who practically worship him -- and a responsible one if he feels he's physically no longer up to it. Too many before have clung to power and position whatever it took.

The other hand, I can't help but feel he's running away because the Church has too many problems it is incapable of solving in its usual manner and he's tired of the pretty constant criticism and being expected to continually clean up the Church's messes. Could also be the job was not what he expected and there are too other many things he'd rather do. It's often said his interests lay more in theological discussion and study than running an antique institution stuck in a modern world. One just does not get to do trail runs before filling Saint Peter's seat.

It would be nice if the cardinals got the message by now that a more dynamic and younger pope may be better up to what is a pretty demanding job. Conservative morals ought not be the only qualifier.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #644
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Will he still get to use his Papal name? And if not, can you get toast with that ex-Benedict?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #645
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

A Norwegian Catholic woman who had an audience with him a few months ago, now tells that she thought then, "how long will he last?" because he looked so worn and frail.

I think it's a responsible act to resign when he sees that he cannot function the way someone with his responsibilities should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
It would be nice if the cardinals got the message by now that a more dynamic and younger pope may be better up to what is a pretty demanding job.
Reminds me of when the Soviet Union had 3 funerals in as many years of old leaders who took over after each other and died within the year.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #646
Earniel

So... new pope.

I like the name. Franciscus of Assisi is one of the few saints I could get to like.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #647
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So much for your "younger" request though.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #648
Earniel

Yeah.... can't have them all, I guess.