Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 05:49 PM   #621
Mercutio

West Side Story

(finally!)

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:49 AM   #622
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Now, lemme see ....

Fahrenheit 9/11 - preferred it to Bowling for Columbine, and found it a moving film

King Arthur - OMG Some very nice pictures but story-lite and a waste of an opportunity, I thought. Keira Knightly woefully miscast ... her looks, her accent didn't fit in, and in the final battle it just felt as though she'd been asked to snarl for the camera.

Thunderbirds - some good moments. Patchy, but delivered what was expected once you realised the story was all about Alan rather than Thunderbirds themselves. Parker in places very good

Spirited Away - one friend in particular fanatical about it. There were some lovely bits, to be sure, but I found the whole a little hard to cope with.

Zatoichi - loved it. One or two bits felt a little unnecessary (the dancing lesson?), but a great film.

Spiderman 2 - much better than the first film. The sentimental bits weren't too long, fortunately. Joyful scenes of Spiderman swinging through the buildings - but it did feel odd how often his identity got revealed.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - the change in director shows. I enjoyed the feel of the film, although I got very confused at the end (happened when I read the book too ).

Shrek 2 - a disappointment. Lots of clever and funny bits, but the film overall didn't grab me. The story just felt pat and jaded. Oh, and Cameron Diaz's accent didn't work for me this time - it didn't seem to fit in with the others.

The Day After Tomorrow - some great scenes. But rather a dozy premise over all .... in terms of father makes trek to renew relationship with son. *sigh*

Around the World in 80 Days - really enjoyed it and loved the cameo appearances. The lead lady stole the scene every single time she was on ... hope we see lots more of her.

And on video ... last night - A Knight's Tale! Love this one - snappy, humorous. Let down, in my view, by the leading lady (and her costumes!) but for me very watchable even so.

Yes - I watch a lot of films But .... I still haven't seen Amelie - despite having the video on my shelf for months now ...
Old 08-01-2004, 03:25 PM   #623
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Die Walkure... Part two of Wagner's ring cycle on DVD.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:50 PM   #624
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

School of Rock. Fun movie.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:30 PM   #625
Mercutio

Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey)

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:43 PM   #626
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

just rented 'pirates of the carribean' last nite... didn't expect much, but actually liked it quite a bit
Old 08-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #627
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

The Village Liked it. I made a thread in here, but for some reason or another it isn't working.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:18 PM   #628
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i watched the complete first season of smallville
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 08-03-2004, 02:03 PM   #629
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Saw The Bourne Supremacy over the weekend. The boyfriend was blown away by the car chase. It's a good action movie but not as good as the first. Karl Urban speaks Russian throughout the whole film, doesn't have a lot of screen time and looks nothing like Eomer...

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Old 08-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #630
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
the neverending story kinda weird
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 08-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #631
Millane
The Dude

Man on Fire on thursday. I was hanging out for this movie for ages ad the trailer did the one thing that would kill me... used NIN. so of course i was hoping that there would be some NIN in the movie and there was Christopher Walken was great and this is Denzels best role. The ****head reviewer in empire gave it one star for being "rightwing trash" because Denzel only kills mexicans and no Americans, hes in Mexico for ****s sake
may head to the cinema this arvo to see it again, or if anything else catches my eye.