Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-14-2003, 04:42 PM   #41
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Hurin and Hours last stand at the fen of sterch! They gave way no longer i love that and the way Hurin goes down is just such an image.

I also love anything to do with Tour
The houses of Hurin and Huor were awesome. And I like Huor's last lines to TUrgon during the Nirnaeth Arnoediad . . .

Quote:
. . .This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and from me a new star shall arise. Farewell!

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:32 PM   #42
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I loved it all- it's my favorite of all Tolkien's works so far as I've read. I love the Two Trees, the Ainulindale, Akallabeth, the tree of the Elves in the back of the book, and of course- Feanor. But there really is too much to mention...

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:54 PM   #43
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

The Lay of Leithen, the story of Beren and Luthien (and Huan, the Hound of Valinor!).
Old 04-15-2003, 03:07 PM   #44
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

the book was to good to choose just one part- but i liked Valaquenta and Akallabeth especially.
Aragorn_of_the_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:19 AM   #45
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I love The Lay of Leithen too. Beautiful. But I have too many favourites, including:
-Ainulindale
-Akallabeth
-of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
-Turin and Nienor's story
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:41 PM   #46
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
The houses of Hurin and Huor were awesome. And I like Huor's last lines to TUrgon during the Nirnaeth Arnoediad . . .
so more beautiful because its true. Love the fact that before people die they see with the eyes of death also like how eol prophises maglins death as well
Old 05-06-2003, 09:41 PM   #47
Anglorfin
Alasailon

In general I'd say anything having to do with Gondolin or the houses of Hurin and Huor. Also the story of Earendil and the ancestry of Elrond and Elros, which ties in here as well.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:33 PM   #48
Silpion
Elven Warrior

My favorite part is the Valaquenta, The Flight of the Noldor, and The Fall of Gondolin. I also like the Lay of Leithian. I had intended to skim it but I read the first 22 lines and I was fixated. I kept reading some lines over and over just because it sounded so good and the imagery was incredible. I lost myself in it.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 01:41 AM   #49
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

My favourite part is the story of Turin, followed closely by Beren and Luthien - but I prefer the UT version, and the lay version (HoME 3) to the sil versions respectively.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #50
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Theoden

My favorite part is when Beren lays his hand on Huan's head.I always tear up.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:36 AM   #51
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I have no favourite part in the books - I usually end up with loving most the part I just read.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:56 AM   #52
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Best bit in the Silmarillion would have to be Of the Sindar - it is perhaps the only chapter that really gives the reader a glimpse of what Beleriand was like before the return of the Noldor and and the arsing of the sun and moon.

It would have been nice to understand better what life must have been like for the Elves and Dwarves in ME during the long years "under the stars". In my opinion, it must have been very daunting.

In terms of a normal "story", I would say that the story of Turin would have to be my favourite. It is filled with tragedy and speaks of a flawed hero. It is also the one story that is treated with some depth (although still not nearly as enough) by Tolkien. Beren and Luthien is nice but it sort of whizzes past the reader and you don't really get to appreciate the many adventures and hardships that the couple must have gone through; it is doesn't really create a sense of actually "being there" (if that makes any sense). It lacks (to me at least) emotional impact.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:49 PM   #53
Laurelindórenan
Hobbit

I agree with everyone about Beren and Lúthien, but not about Fëanor. He was obsessive and withdrawn and he led others in doings of evil, this might make him more interesting but I guess I just like good characters.

I don't think anyone's said this, but I think my personal favorite is Melian and Thingol. I love the character of Melian, and even though Thingol didn't always come across as the best guy, you could still forgive his faults.

We all took an evilness test. WiKi was in the 99.7 to 99.8 percentile range. Seven of the rest of us got in the 99.0 to 99.6 range. Our 9th member, Bob, hasn't been able to overcome his love of kittens. He only got a 88.2. We're hoping to get him replaced.

- Ask the Characters, stupidring.com

I'm BB's daughter.

Last edited by Laurelindórenan : 09-29-2003 at 09:50 PM.
Laurelindórenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 10:32 PM   #54
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
and even though Thingol didn't always come across as the best guy, you could still forgive his faults.
Nope. Not me. Never!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:11 AM   #55
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

My favourite part and most saddest part of the book is when Fingolfin and Morgoth do single battle.
Unnumbered tears is good, so is The story of turin.