Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-26-2002, 11:54 PM   #41
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

That would make sense, because he DOES look much different. Notice the yellowish eyes in FotR. And did he have that stringy hair in TTT? I couldn't tell...oh well. It still was a great creation.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 01:02 AM   #42
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Perhaps he had a make-over. I seem to remember the orcs givig him the total care treatment at the parlor in Mordor. He even shows us his newly manicured nails while yelling "Shire! Baggins!"

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 04:27 PM   #43
shirefarmer
Sapling

Treebeard

I felt for gollum!!!
Yeah he did make me laugh but that was because i can relate to him Who doesnt feel like that sometimes or all the time
shirefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:34 PM   #44
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Gollum had stringy hair in TTT, it just blended with his head. I think that the reason he changed in TTT was because he didn't have the Ring and so wasn't totally wacked out, and not only that but he was being treated nicely for the first time in a long while so that made his countenance sweeter...almost cute in a strange way. Which is what I like about the movie Gollum...he's more human and you can pity him properly because you can see and hear him and you can understand to a certain extent where he's comin' from. It's sad he has to...*looks at those who have not read ROTK*...yeah...never mind.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 07:10 PM   #45
RockerChik106
Sapling

Gollum

I like the part where he is arguing with Sam about the food! I thought it was funny. I also like the song he sings when he is killing the fish. LOL! The parts where he is arguing with himself were good too.
RockerChik106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:22 PM   #46
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally posted by shirefarmer
I felt for gollum!!!
Yeah he did make me laugh but that was because i can relate to him Who doesnt feel like that sometimes or all the time
Ummm... I don't...

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:16 PM   #47
Eowyn Telcontar
Hobbit

Gollum is soooo cute, I think. I'm so depressed since they have to make him bad in the end. I don't think Tolkien made him that cute in the book. But they made him so cute in the movie, its going to be awful when he hands them to Shelob. Noo! Well, I love the rabbit and PO-TAY-TOE scene! HEHE!

"PO-TAY-TOES!" Sam
Eowyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:32 PM   #48
Yazad
Enting

Gollumadriel

My favorite scene with Gollum was the cave scene in the prologue in FotR. In fact, that's my favorite shot from either movie so far. It was brilliant and really captured the feeling of The Hobbit along with the darkness of LotR. A gorgeous 5 seconds of film.

As for Gollum in TTT, he was pretty okay, if a bit too Disnefied, but still (I gotta give credit where it's due) not as Disnified as he could have been or as I expected.

Does anyone else think he looked like Cate Blanchett a lot of the time? His big eyes and his smile? I don't know why, but that's what I was thinking in almost every scene he was in.

Yazad

Last edited by Yazad : 12-31-2002 at 04:35 PM.
Yazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:37 AM   #49
Legolas_is_fit
Elven Warrior

Re: Gollumadriel

I think Gollum is amazing in every sence he plays in. I really like his eyes, even though they freak me out.
But dosnt he destroy the ring because he falls in???
Gimli:Toss me over to the gate. But just dont tell the elf.
Aragon:Ok I promise

Well it goes along those lines i cant remember the exact words
Legolas_is_fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 11:45 AM   #50
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
He falls in with the ring therefore destroying it

I love all the slinker/stinker scenes
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:23 PM   #51
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

The slinker/ stinker scenes are very cool... I can't wait untill rotk and we get to see the ring destroyed! But I don't look forward to shelob... I am afraid of spiders. I started to frak out during the spider scene of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets! My twin sister kept throwing popcorn at my... I was very very very very very scared!

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-02-2003, 07:40 PM   #52
Millane
The Dude

no one has mentioned the start when frodo and sam first encounter Gollum that was great especially Gollum puffing when he is on top of frodo grabbing at the ring, he also got best punch for him turning round and punching sam down when sam grabbed his leg he should have appeared at helms deep, when he has the rope on just he way he moves and when he "swears to serve the master of the precious on... on... on the PRECIOUS" ohhh i could go on and on but ill only mention a few more bits liked all the scenes with gollum and the line at the end "come on hobbits long way to go yet" "follow me"
sure he was funny but that was just the way he was they didnt stuff round with him to make him that way he is just that sorta carachter... even my ignorant samwise-speaks-too-much friend felt sad for smeagol at the "smeagol why does it cry smeagol" "cruel men hurts us" and thats saying a lot
Old 01-02-2003, 09:36 PM   #53
eowyngirl14

Gollum

I ad forgotten about those parts, yes, they are very good. Yet no matter how mwny times smeagol is kicked, pushed, punched, or falss down, or jumps ona rock, you never see any bruises on him. Is that a mistake, or is his skin just super tough and harm resistant?

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-02-2003, 10:57 PM   #54
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I am positive that I read on some article, most likely online, that they totally rebuilt and remodelled gollum after FotR. Not neccessarily to go with the story, but he's hardly in FOTR, or atleast hardly shown, and they didn't need to be incredibly concerned about every aspect of him until TTT. it makes sense. I don't think they did it because he is treated well in TTT... it was a very technical decision as far as i know.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:32 AM   #55
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Quote:
Originally posted by Treebeard's apprentice
I thought Gollum was a great character and I agree that he really did seem like a real 'person'. The scene where he debates with himself was amazing as far as editing/acting/telling the story.

The problem I had with him, though, was that he seemed too much like a joke. In almost every scene he was in, the whole theater was laughing at him. It's okay to have some comedy, but you need to have some pity and fear of him, too. In my opinion, there wasn't enough of that.

I have to warn you first off that I was not a fan of either movie. yet, as any good tolkien fan, I have seen them, and will see ROTK.

They did, however, go from the original "Dark Drama" catergory, and make it "Light Hearted Laugh at Smeagol Drama" I didn't appreciate it.

I also didn't appreciate the constant, all too scripted dialogue from Legolas and Gimli.

This is my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it.

Leilani
Old 01-03-2003, 05:14 PM   #56
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

I loved the movies! But you are right, they did move down a little on the very dark and scary and scary scale... I thought Helm's Deep was done very well though!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-03-2003, 07:16 PM   #57
Firhithiel Greenleaf
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
Yeah. I think he was too comical. But maybe its the audience? I found the conversation with himself to be quite sad and pity-able... meanwhile the whole theatre was cracking up. It seemed like they definately meant for gollum to be comical in many parts... but even some parts I didn't think were comical at all, but the audience chuckled at (such as when gollum is being questioned by Faramir and he goes into a little space and is talking to himself), and I think mental illness is so looked down upon that even if you had made him schizophrenic the audience would be laughing. They think schizophrenia is funny. And they don't take it seriously.
I agree! I thought the part where Gollum was talking to himself was very sad. The part where he was saying "Go away!" to Bad Gollum was very cool because he was being brave. But my whole family was like cracking up. I mean, literally, they were all "My preeeeeccciouuuusss...." It was kind of sad. I felt sorry for Gollum because while he is *trying* to fight, it doesn't really work. I think he should've attacked Faramir instead of trying to kill Frodo and Sam because he feels "betrayed". Frodo didn't really betray him (at least in the movie) Faramir did!!! But then again Gollum is kind of dumb. No offense. No he's not dumb, he's... insane. I guess you could say that...

Aragorn picked up Frodo where he lay by the wall and made for the stair, pushing Merry and Pippin in front of him. The others followed; but Gimli had to be dragged away by Legolas: in spite of the peril he lingered by Balin's tomb with his head bowed. Boromir hauled the eastern door to, grinding upon its hinges: it had great iron rings on either side, but could not be fastened.
"I am all right," gasped Frodo. "I can walk. Put me down!"
Aragorn nearly dropped him in his amazement. "I thought you were dead!" he cried.

~~While Frodo, Sam, and Gollum are climbing the Stairs of Cirith Ungol, in The Two Towers~~

And so Gollum found them hours later, when he returned, crawling and creeping down the path out of the gloom ahead. Sam sat propped against the stone, his head dropping sideways and his breathing heavy. In his lap lay Frodo's head, drowned deep in sleep; upon his white forehead lay one of Sam's brown hands, and the other lay softly upon his master's breast. Peace was in both their faces.

If that isn't a suggestion that they're in love, I don't know *what* is!!!
Firhithiel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:25 PM   #58
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I think, seeing as Frodo was sympathetic for Gollum, he should have explained that betrayal was on Faramir's part.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:23 PM   #59
azalea
Long lost mooter

But it is true that he wouldn't understand, and it also goes deeper than that. He is can't think of the word, but "tied" to Frodo by the oath he made, and that going both ways also "ties" Frodo to be faithful to him, the whole master/ servant thing. So in lying to him and getting him trapped, yes he is saving him, but he has also tricked him into a situation by abusing the trust that is there by virtue of the oath. There is no other way, but Gollum still sees it as a betrayal.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:50 PM   #60
eowyngirl14

Quote:
Originally posted by Firhithiel Greenleaf
Frodo didn't really betray him (at least in the movie) Faramir did!!! But then again Gollum is kind of dumb. No offense. No he's not dumb, he's... insane. I guess you could say that...
Yes, he is definetly a little cookoo! But I wouldn't say dumb, maybe 'under educated'... anyways, he needs to go to some anger managment classes with Anakin from SW Episode: 2... they could get family/friend consuling togeather too!

- Benjamin Franklin