Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2002, 09:24 PM   #41
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a few more days!!! Lol, I'm soooooooo excited!!!!!!!

Does anyone know, how much exactly does the Extended Version cost??? I'm clueless, I know.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:38 PM   #42
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Someone on one of my Tolkien mailing lists actually got hers early, a day or two ago. She's not a DVD reviewer or anything like that, it just came a bit early.

Also, a suspicious looking package arrived at my house today. I'm fairly positive that I"ll be getting the SE for Christmas, but not sure if this package happens to BE the SE.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:43 AM   #43
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well? WELL? Is Sween the only one who has actually SEEN the extended edition? Can we get some commentary?

I have no DVD
The extended edition I cannot see
I depend upon others
Still living with their mothers
To lay out the changes for me.....

[Okay. License taken with limerick meter format.]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 11:36 AM   #44
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I have the new DVD and plan to skive off school tomorrow just to watch it but if not I'll be forced to wait until saturday night which is the only other time I'm free- damn!!! Well excited though. Wonder what the best bit will be? Will be on when I've watched it to discuss changes etc. Much Love Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 11:47 AM   #45
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
I have no DVD
The extended edition I cannot see
I depend upon others
Still living with their mothers
To lay out the changes for me.....

[Okay. License taken with limerick meter format.]
LOL! Great lyrics, bp. Yeah, lots of spoilers please. Then we can have a thread on whether reading the story spoiled your enjoyment of watching the film
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:26 PM   #46
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Spoilers please!
100% in agreement with bropous here.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:29 PM   #47
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

C'mon, someone must have seen the extended edition by now. I went down to the shops yesterday, and no shop freakin' had it. Aggghhhh.

Edit: Oooh, 666 posts. Spooky.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:41 PM   #48
Sween
im quite stupid

right as i seem to be the only one to of seen it so far (watched it yesterday)

the films introdutions the main difference is you see isildur put on the ring then jump into the river at the battle of gladden feilds then see it fall off and the orc archers shot him.

The part concerning hobbits is told by bilbo and has a lovely shot of sam planting a plant in the bag end garden. there is also a lot more of frodo suspecions of bilbo. there is also quite an important scean where bilbo thinks hes lost the ring and literly tears bag end apart looking for it. the nitwit dodnt know it was in his pocket.

the partys good with bilbo and frodo hideing from the slackvilles baggines. also a lovely line from bilbo to gandalf in bag end about lobella 'shes never forgiven me for living so long'

theres also a scean at the green dragon where they are all having a merry hobbit time with merry and pippin dancing on tables. some random hobbit is saying that they have heard queer things but not to worry cos trouble dont bother you if you dont court it. gaffers also in this scean. more of sam fancing rosie (shes a cumly lass )

loads of other stff thats just a taster and you can foind out for youselfs
Old 11-12-2002, 07:37 PM   #49
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I WANT TO SEE IT! I WANT TO SEE IT! WHEN WILL MY MOMMY GET HOME? WILL SHE TAKE ME TO GET IT TONIGHT? WHEN AM I GOING TO BE ABLE TO PAYE BACK MY BANK ACOUNT THE $30 THAT THE DVD WILL COST?

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 07:53 PM   #50
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Hey, I watched it yesterday too! Was away from the computer though... didn't get to post.

My comments:

- Showing how Isildur was betrayed by the Ring was very effective... definitely liked that.

- The "concerning hobbits" montage seemed perhaps stylistically, er, different from the rest of the film, but was a neat touch nonetheless.

- Love the rescoring of Frodo and Gandalf's meeting at the beginning - now the score actually harmonizes with Gandalf singing "The road goes ever on and on", instead of overlaying it with the hobbit theme. Much of that sequence was sort of re-edited, if I remember, with little lines here and there...

- The Green Dragon scene was a nice implementation of "Ho! Ho! Ho! to the bottle I go" and was a tribute to hobbit table-dancing, which was of course missing from Bree.

- The Elves passing to the West along the Road was a nice touch, especially musically speaking... it was interesting to see how the songs of the Elves were interpreted.

- Midgewater Marshes! Midgewater Marshes! I didn't even know they filmed that...

- One of my favourite additions: Aragorn singing a bit of the Lay of Luthien in Elvish, and the dialogue between him and Frodo.

- The Troll-shaws are now a bit more overtly in the film, not just a background "easter egg"... no opinion on that either way. It works.

- Two hilarious bits were added in the film - one, Frodo leaving Rivendell... "Psst... which way to Mordor, Gandalf, left or right?" And the other being Legolas talking about how one bite of lembas can fill the stomach of a grown man, and naturally, Pippin... well... oh, just watch it.

- Perhaps the most awkward addition was Boromir being tempted by the Ring at the Council of Elrond, and Gandalf reciting the Ring inscription in the Black Speech. I mean, it was well done, but just awkwardly edited... seemed a bit choppy.

- The disc change occurs exactly where I thought it would, at the end of the Council of Elrond. However, the next disc picks up with a nice little bit in reference to Aragorn's mother, and while that was a good scene, I'm not sure how well that would flow if the disc change didn't take place...

- The whole approach to Durin's Door, and Gandalf trying to solve the riddle, is expanded considerably. Now it doesn't seem so easy, heh.

- Lothlorien, next to the Shire, was where the bulk of the additions were... now, one thing that I noticed was that some material in the original cut was actually removed, i.e. the initial meeting with Haldir. We see more of Celeborn and Galadriel, and not just the gift-giving. Just as in the book, Sam breaks into a verse about Gandalf's fireworks...

- One of my favourite additions, period: Gollum tracking the Fellowship down the Anduin on a log!

- Also on the Anduin is an argument between Boromir and Aragorn that does make reference to Boromir's desire to go to Minas Tirith, something that was excised entirely in the original cut.

Generally, I think the Extended Edition pretty much wipes out all the initial reservations about the first "Book I" half of the film feeling too rushed, or hobbits being left in the periphery. Practically everything that was put back in makes the thing even more faithful to the source material than it already was... that was never a huge concern for me, but I'm sure that some people who disliked the movie because of that will be at least somewhat swayed.

We see even more Boromir than we originally did, which is great, although at times it makes Boromir's corruption perhaps a bit on the overt side. We see a lot more about Aragorn for sure, and he is extensively developed as a character.

We see more of Tolkien's songs implemented, something I definitely appreciate. This will probably continue into the next film (we already know that "Where is the horse and the rider..." is in it, from the March preview).

There are a few new things here and there that seem a bit choppy, and maybe not just because I'm not used to them. Was that a double negative?

Oh. And the DTS 6.1 ES track on full blast just rules.

Overall... well, I'm not sure what I'll do with my DVD of the theatrical cut now, let's say that...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:03 PM   #51
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Ty Sween & IronParrot

I think I'll just have a little trip into town tommorrow.............the new release seems to placate a few of my criticisms of the original cut

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:38 PM   #52
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I was okay with not seeing for a while, but now I'm not! The measly two minute clips on The Official Site are going to tide me over until Christmas. *sigh* my poor, pitiful bank account.

Last edited by crickhollow : 11-12-2002 at 08:41 PM.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:11 PM   #53
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Screw your bank account, buy the movie!
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:26 PM   #54
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

AHHHHHHHHH! I am sooooooooo mad!!

I thought at first that I was just gonna rent the SE DVD in Blockbusters cause when the first film got out it was there really early.

But, nooooo. They don't have it.

Now I want to buy it but my mom refuses to let me!!!!!!

I have my own money!!!!!! She's like,"Why do you want this one?? You already have the original!"

Arggg.... Why can't parents understand???!!!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 09:28 PM   #55
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Oh yeah, btw, thanks for the spoilers IronParrot. I really wanted to know

And I'm serious. No scarcasm whatsoever.

Last edited by Lollypopgurl : 11-12-2002 at 09:29 PM.
Lollypopgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:44 PM   #56
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Yeah, thank you so much IronParrot for those notes! Now I NEED to get it and see it!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:55 PM   #57
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

I had my dad go out and buy the extended version while I was at school today, and came home and immediatley watched it! I loved all the new scenes and particulary enjoyed how the "Farewell to Lorien" scene was extended. I haven't got a chance to look at all the extra features but I'm sure they'll be great. And I absolutely think that the thatrical version pales in comparison to this extended version. Even if only a few of the elements in this new release had been in the original, I would have liked it more. But then again, I do think it's one of the greatest movies of all time!
Old 11-12-2002, 11:47 PM   #58
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Yay! It came in the mail today! (Advantage of having a job, heh heh)
I got to watch the first half hour with my kids, so great seeing Isildur take off the ring and vanish. Having seen the movie so many times it startled me, like, is this the same movie? It all fits together so much better with the parts they added.
So far.
Anticipation is half the fun.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 02:56 AM   #59
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I just finished watching it ten minutes ago and it's great! A friend just bought it and we watched it in his girlfriend's room (with Cinnabons!). Now I know why I need a DVD player!
I love all the stuff they added in Lorien -- the meeting with Haldir goes more or less like it's supposed to. I also like gifts of Galadriel. The way they did Gimli's gift was very well done -- I would venture to say it was even better than Tolkien's version, and you can't help but smile. They also introduce the cloaks and lembas.
Also, as mentioned, Bilbo's narration of 'Concerning Hobbits' was a very pleasant surprise. It's these kind of details that make it so great. Well worth the $30 (if only I had a DVD player ). I also heard there is a five-disc set with bookends and everything, but I was told that was about $80.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 05:24 AM   #60
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Screw your bank account, buy the movie!
that's right. ain't gonna happen. I'm the responsible one who's trying to make it through school w/ no debt, remember. *reminds self once more that she only has 33 more credits to finish after the end of this semester.* I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

oh, wait. DVD discussion. Right. Thanks for the spoilers, fellas. with any luck I'll get to see it in a week or so, when my friend buys it.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote