Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2004, 03:41 PM   #41
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
from the way i read the bible story it wasn't anyone's "fault"... it was kind of part of the plan that christ died... if anything he was killed by "mankind"... jc also was a jew technically
That's exactly correct! Blaming Jews for the crucifiction of Christ is wrong-headed... even if the Jewish leaders who called for His crucifiction were indeed in the wrong, they were not merely representing Jews, but they were representing all mankind, who sentenced Christ to death by our sins - in the Christian viewpoint. The wrong that they were doing... God knew that they would do it, and He worked that into His Plan. We could say that they were 'playing into his hands' - but that over-simplifies the case. God was intent on redeeming mankind to Himself, knew how people would react to any given plan - and chose the best.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #42
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser

To: Protestants

Re:"The Passion of the Christ"

Thank you to all the Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc., as well as all the independent churches, for your great work in spreading the word and building up support for this movie.
Not only will it help in making this a financial success, but far more importantly, it will spread the Good News about the Saviour.

Too bad you're all still going to fry in the Fires of Hell for all of Eternity.

Love, Mel.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...eople0212.html
If this is a real interview and Mel Gibson actually believes that way, it's too bad. Fortunately though, neither he, nor the Pope, nor any other Catholic (EDIT: or any Protestant, for that matter), will be sitting on the Seat of Judgement. That seat, and the role that comes with it, have already been reserved.

Last edited by Valandil : 02-16-2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:09 PM   #43
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
That seat, and the role that comes with it, have already been reserved.
And thank goodness, the One in it is the only one that is completely and entirely fair, and can see completely accurately into every person's heart!

I know I won't be able to see the movie in the theater; I might see it at home when it's released on DVD. I just have a terrible problem with movie gore - LOTR type gore is about as much as I can take. I would probably pass out seeing Gibson's film. But I think it's important to depict that it WAS a terrible thing that Jesus went though, esp. because He was completely innocent of any sin, and ESPECIALLY because he could have called legions of angels to His aid at any time (or just cut out on His own power - remember that story about His mere word knocked down the soldiers, then He let Himself be taken - it was indeed a voluntary goal of His to complete His mission.)

I'll be interested to see the Mooter's reviews here, tho. A friend of mine has already seen it (he's in the movie industry) and said it was great.

And isn't it odd how people can forget that Jesus was a Jew?

Mel may think (incorrectly, IMO) that non-Catholic Christians may "burn in hell", but I'm sure he doesn't desire this fate for them, or anyone else, for that matter, and I think spending mega-millions of his own money for this movie reflects that.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 02-16-2004 at 06:12 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:35 PM   #44
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So then Im guessing I wont be seeing Mad Max: The Final Chapter in my life time then....

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #45
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
...ESPECIALLY because he could have called legions of angels to His aid at any time...
That makes me think of that old hymn "Ten Thousand Angels". I like that song.

I will be seeing this movie when it comes out.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #46
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an

Mel may think (incorrectly, IMO) that non-Catholic Christians may "burn in hell", but I'm sure he doesn't desire this fate for them, or anyone else, for that matter, and I think spending mega-millions of his own money for this movie reflects that.
I saw some interview with him last night and he said that he didn't think that any particular denomination/creed would go to hell just bc they weren't Christian or Catholic. The Church teaches that other faiths can go to Heaven. I think that's what he was trying to say.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:33 PM   #47
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

If you really want to get technical, the Romans are the ones who actually killed him.

Gibson payed attention to the jews who were getting uptight, and, the hand that drives the nail in, in the film...is Mel's. he's basically saying that he killed Christ.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:58 PM   #48
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
If you really want to get technical, the Romans are the ones who actually killed him.

Gibson payed attention to the jews who were getting uptight, and, the hand that drives the nail in, in the film...is Mel's. he's basically saying that he killed Christ.
yeah...the interview I saw showed that clip....I think it's true basically we all killed Christ...I mean He died for all of us.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:09 AM   #49
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:

Yes, but it was primarily the Jewish citizens who condemned him, as Pilot asked the public what to do, and they did demand that he be crusified. Either way, no blame can be placed on modern Jews (or Italians for that matter), and there is no additude in the film expressing that the Jews should be ashamed or anything. That's just what happened, according to the New Testament, and so Mel believes it as a devout Christian. I can't believe that people would be offended by a mere statement of fact.

Another note: We had this debate in my religion class today. At one point, I brought up that the Jews who are scolding Gibson don't know what they're talking about, because they think he fabricated the idea of Jews playing a part in the whole thing, when he actually did find it in the New Testament, which they have no business reading, and therefore no business arguing about. My teacher called me anti-semitic, but I think she's wrong. Can someone tell me if they agree with her?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:44 AM   #50
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
Another note: We had this debate in my religion class today. At one point, I brought up that the Jews who are scolding Gibson don't know what they're talking about, because they think he fabricated the idea of Jews playing a part in the whole thing, when he actually did find it in the New Testament, which they have no business reading, and therefore no business arguing about. My teacher called me anti-semitic, but I think she's wrong. Can someone tell me if they agree with her?
I'd say just watch your word choice. Rather than saying that Jews have no business reading the New Testament, just suggest that Jews can read the New Testament for themselves to see.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:46 AM   #51
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Well, it appears Mel may get the feminists all in a tizz as well. Satan is portrayed as a woman. She is cloaked and hooded, bald and shaved eyebrows. She doesn't speak but in one scene a snake slithers from under her robe towards Jesus. She is always slinking in the background. I'm sure he doesn't mean it against females though!
Old 02-19-2004, 02:20 PM   #52
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Well, it appears Mel may get the feminists all in a tizz as well. Satan is portrayed as a woman. She is cloaked and hooded, bald and shaved eyebrows. She doesn't speak but in one scene a snake slithers from under her robe towards Jesus. She is always slinking in the background. I'm sure he doesn't mean it against females though!
I saw a preveiw of that....I think he wanted Satan to seem androgenous (sp?)
Old 02-20-2004, 02:31 PM   #53
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Mel's dad made a TV appearance, recently, and he's not going to help his son out at all with this argument. He basically said that the Holocaust never happened, and was really and truly anti-semetic. I think he intended to help Mel fend off the accusations, but he just stregnthened them by showing that he was raised in hatred for Jews. What a dumb guy.

Quote:
Sminty?
Old 02-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #54
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Yes, but it was primarily the Jewish citizens who condemned him, as Pilot asked the public what to do, and they did demand that he be crusified. Either way, no blame can be placed on modern Jews (or Italians for that matter), and there is no additude in the film expressing that the Jews should be ashamed or anything. That's just what happened, according to the New Testament, and so Mel believes it as a devout Christian. I can't believe that people would be offended by a mere statement of fact.

I absolutely agree here; it WAS the jews, but it doesnt mean that ALL jews are bad becasue of it, or that it is the fault of present-day jews that christ died.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:48 PM   #55
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Jesus was in the hands of the Roman authorities who ruled the land (altho only with His own permission, as I said before) - so I would say technically the Romans put Him to death. But the Jewish leaders were certainly bugging the Romans to do this. But there would have been NO death of Jesus except for the fact that everyone sins and is unable to avoid the penalty, and only Jesus could pay it, and did.

Has anyone else heard anything about that the movie will not be shown in France?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:31 PM   #56
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:

AFAIK the Jews arguing against this don't think that Mel fabricated this, they think that the early Christians fabricated (or at least exaggerated) it, in order to shift the blame from the Romans to those Jews who had rejected Jesus as the Messiah.
That this is "a mere statement of fact" is one of the points under contention.

As for the Jews having no business arguing about the New Testament, since the New Testament is exactly the basis on which Christians spent a couple of thousand years murdering, massacring, pillaging and raping them, not to mention confining them in ghettos, passing laws discriminating against them, now and then driving them out of their homes and stealing everything they owned, etc. etc., I would think that they certainly do have business reading it.

I mean, you guys are all tolerant now, but there have been periods of toleration before- who knows when the pendulum may swing back, and the Christians once again decide that the Jews are collectively guilty for the death of Jesus. Better be prepared, ne?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:44 PM   #57
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
AFAIK the Jews arguing against this don't think that Mel fabricated this, they think that the early Christians fabricated (or at least exaggerated) it, in order to shift the blame from the Romans to those Jews who had rejected Jesus as the Messiah.
That this is "a mere statement of fact" is one of the points under contention.
I guess so, but that would be rather pointless to bring up against a movie. It sounds like their problem is with the entire Christian religion, which I can understand. But then the movie is about Christianity, so they'd of course have some objections to it. I just don't think it's a big deal. I didn't start any riot after watching Prince of Egypt (though that's a poor example; Christians believe in that story too...).

Quote:
As for the Jews having no business arguing about the New Testament, since the New Testament is exactly the basis on which Christians spent a couple of thousand years murdering, massacring, pillaging and raping them, not to mention confining them in ghettos, passing laws discriminating against them, now and then driving them out of their homes and stealing everything they owned, etc. etc., I would think that they certainly do have business reading it.

I mean, you guys are all tolerant now, but there have been periods of toleration before- who knows when the pendulum may swing back, and the Christians once again decide that the Jews are collectively guilty for the death of Jesus. Better be prepared, ne?
You're right, but that's not really what I meant. I was just saying that the New Testament is obviously not part of the average Jew's library, and so it seemed foolish that they'd argue about stories contained in it, as they are generally uneducated on this particular topic. (But that is NOT to say that Christians are educated in everything!)
Plus most of the issues you mentioned sound much more recent to me, and I'm trying to separate modern Jews from ye olde in ancient Rome.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #58
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:

You're right, but that's not really what I meant. I was just saying that the New Testament is obviously not part of the average Jew's library, and so it seemed foolish that they'd argue about stories contained in it, as they are generally uneducated on this particular topic. (But that is NOT to say that Christians are educated in everything!)
Plus most of the issues you mentioned sound much more recent to me, and I'm trying to separate modern Jews from ye olde in ancient Rome.

I would think that most Jews are very well educated about the Blood Libel- they've had to be.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 02-22-2004, 10:45 AM   #59
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Let me expand- I would assume that most Jews neither know nor particularly care about the details of the New Testament; but that they do know and care very much about this particular issue- " the Jews killed Christ" - because of the suffering they have undergone at the hands of Christians based on this point.

A similar case would be Hindus in Northern India- they may not know much about the Koran, but they do know that it calls them idolaters and was used as a justification for invasion and slaughter.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:29 AM   #60
BeardofPants
the Shrike

People are all in a tizzy because it has been rated R16 for gratuitous violence. The weird thing is that there are all these christians complaining, because they won't be able to take the kids... say what? *twitch*