Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2002, 08:41 PM   #41
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I do have WinDVD, but how do you access using that?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 10:46 PM   #42
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I am only interested in being entertained by the actual movie. Now I won't bother with the November release.
I feel the same, mostly. But -- but - but the November release will have 1/2 hour more of the movie on it. You don't want to miss Galadriel handing out the gifts!
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 11:21 PM   #43
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
I do have WinDVD, but how do you access using that?
uMM... OK I needed to re-read your original post. I think everything is driven off the DVD menu, except the autorun menu which has the "Exclusive DVD Features" web site that appears to be nothing more than the usual screensavers and such.

I just watched the "Extended DVD Edition Preview". ARRGH!

It's bad enough that large parts of the story were sacrificed so that the battle scenes could be longer. Why must they taunt us with scenes that belong AND not put them on the first DVD release? Cruel... that's what it is
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 11:36 PM   #44
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan

I just watched the "Extended DVD Edition Preview". ARRGH!

It's bad enough that large parts of the story were sacrificed so that the battle scenes could be longer. Why must they taunt us with scenes that belong AND not put them on the first DVD release? Cruel... that's what it is
I decided to watch it after your post. And I agree 100%. That is the kind of stuff that should have been kept in. That was the stuff that gave LotR it's soul. Having Frodo explain to Sam about the Elves going to the Grey Havens as they watch them walking past in the distance. That stuff should have been kept in. Too bad Jackson can't redo the stupid wizard duel and the Flight to the Ford. And replace Merry and Pippin - then I would be happy. . At least hopefully the extended version may add the heart and soul back into the LotR and not be just an action movie as it stands right now.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 11:49 PM   #45
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

So the nov release is actually going to have a longer movie? Not just clips here and there of "stuff". Pardon me for not keeping up, I guess I'm kind of busy, and they have made it a bit complicated.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 11:50 PM   #46
Cirdan

Yeah, I've watched it twice now and the bit with Saruman is totally outside the book. How does Gandalf lose his staff and later have it again? I preferred the understated way the book describes the "delay". It adds to Gandalf's character as humble yet noble and the scene with Saruman is contrary to that. Why does he act as a sheepish child in the presence of Saruman? Isn't he thousands of years old?

The gift of the elf rope to Sam left out?

Now I'll have to rent the extended edition, though I refuse to buy it. Might as well wait foir the final box set now since most footage will surely appear.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 12:07 AM   #47
Cirdan

Quote:
So the nov release is actually going to have a longer movie? Not just clips here and there of "stuff". Pardon me for not keeping up, I guess I'm kind of busy, and they have made it a bit complicated.
PJ refers to it as NOT a directors cut, which means he didn't like the word because it means he didn't release the right version. So I interpret that to mean it will be a contiguous version with new scenes spliced in. I guess they held it back in case they wanted any of the FotR footage for TTT (as a flashback or whatever). I think the bibliophiles will prefer the more inclusive extended version just for accuacy's sake.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 12:12 AM   #48
olsonm
Elf Lord

PJ shot an enormous amount of footage. The extended version is basically the same as the final rough cut of the film. He cut out the scenes to get the movie to the prefered three hour time limit. He's putting them back in because he can. He reportedly likes both versions of the movie but didn't think the longer version would work in the theater because of it's length. Remember, before the movie came out a lot was riding on it's success.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:18 AM   #49
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hmmmm, Well if it's more "entertainment" I'm getting, I could go for that. OK Entlover, let's do it! I just don't want any more"info".
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 12:22 AM   #50
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Hmmmm, Well if it's more "entertainment" I'm getting, I could go for that. OK Entlover, let's do it! I just don't want any more"info".
Well, technically it's both. It's also has some very in depth (and long) documentaries on the making of the movies.

edit: It may also be worth knowing that, because of memory constraints, the movie is split up over two discs providing a built in 'intermission'. I don't know if that would put you off or not.

Last edited by olsonm : 08-11-2002 at 12:24 AM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 12:30 AM   #51
jerseydevil

Nazgul

What appeared in the theater was an action movie. I'm with Cirdan - the wrong one was released and PJ increased the battle scenes unnecessarily. He could have cut down on the battle scenes and kept it within the 3 hour time frame with the scenes that will appear now.

But everyone that read my complete andmultiple posts from December to March in this forum - knows that I didn't really like the movie. Although I am watching it again at this moment.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 12:30 AM   #52
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Just a question, but are the two different DVDs converging at all in terms of extras and footage? Or are they going to be completely separate from each other?
Old 08-11-2002, 12:32 AM   #53
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Just a question, but are the two different DVDs converging at all in terms of extras and footage? Or are they going to be completely separate from each other?
I can almost guarantee that there is going to be duplicates. All the extras that we currently have in this release may and probably will be included in the November one.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 12:37 AM   #54
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Completely seperate. ('cept for the three hours of the movie that will be the same) But because the new fotage is being added to almost every part of the movie it will definately change the feel of the movie. How much can only be seen in Nov. The extras will be completely seperate. Jerseydevil is wrong.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:51 AM   #55
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm

Completely seperate. ('cept for the three hours of the movie that will be the same) But because the new fotage is being added to almost every part of the movie it will definately change the feel of the movie. How much can only be seen in Nov. The extras will be completely seperate. Jerseydevil is wrong.
Welll I hope I am wrong. But I haven't heard them say anything about what the extras would actually contain. I know there will be a lot more. But I'm not so certain that some or all of the existing ones would be duplicated.

This is what Amazon has listed for the Gift Box set. They also say there are 5 discs though. For the standard Extended Edition - they don't have any of the extras listed. I think the 5th disc may be the National Geographic Special that Gift set contains.

Quote:
Edition Details:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
• Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen, Box set, Dolby, DTS Surround Sound
• Four-disc Platinum Series Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
• New version of National Geographic Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring DVD, with additional footage and photo gallery
• Collectible Argonath polystone figures created by Sideshow Weta
• Exclusive Decipher trading cards
• Packaging illustrated by famed artist Alan Lee
• Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Discs 1-2: The Feature:
• Unique version of the epic adventure with over 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film and new music scored by Academy Award®-winning composer Howard Shore (approx. 208 minutes)
• Four audio commentaries by director and writers, the design team, the production team, and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Andrew Lesnie, Howard Shore, Jim Rygiel, Randy Cook, and many more
• Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Discs 3-4: The Appendices:
• Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
• DISC 3: "From Book to Vision":
• Adapting the book into a screenplay & planning the film
• Designing and building Middle-earth
• Storyboards to pre-visualization
• Weta Workshop visit: An up-close look at the weapons, armor, creatures, and miniatures from the film
• Atlas of Middle-earth: Tracing the journey of the Fellowship
• An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process
• Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists
• Guided tour of the wardrobe department
• Footage from early meetings, moving storyboards, and pre-visualization reels
• DISC 4: "From Vision to Reality":
• Bringing the characters to life
• A day in the life of a hobbit
• Principal photography: Stories from the set
• Scale: Creating the illusion of size
• Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos
• Editorial and visual effects multi-angle progressions
• Sound design demonstration
• DVD-ROM Content: Includes access to exclusive online features
• Widescreen anamorphic format
• Number of discs: 5

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-11-2002 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:55 AM   #56
Cirdan

Yoinks! $59.94 and five disks I may just rent that version.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 12:57 AM   #57
olsonm
Elf Lord

Oh, I'm sure they'll retread some of the same info, such as who the characters are and how the actors felt about the movie but it'll be new footage not duplicate.

The Gift Box set just adds the National Geographic DVD and the Argonath bookends to the SEV.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:05 AM   #58
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Damn, so does this mean I'll have to rent this version to see some of the background info?!
Old 08-11-2002, 01:06 AM   #59
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
Oh, I'm sure they'll retread some of the same info, such as who the characters are and how the actors felt about the movie but it'll be new footage not duplicate.

The Gift Box set just adds the National Geographic DVD and the Argonath bookends to the SEV.
That's cool then. I figured there would be additional extras - but then one disc would contain all the extras that were just released. You must admit - Hollywood would do something like that. It wouldn't cost them anything to package the old material and still call it a 4 disc set and charge a lot of money.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 01:11 AM   #60
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Damn, so does this mean I'll have to rent this version to see some of the background info?!
Yep.

JD: Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Come to think of it I'd already seen all the 'extras' on this DVD except the preveiws of the SEV and TTT (and that Houghton Miffillin piece). The featurettes were all availible at the official site until a few months back (some still are) and the TV specials aired before the movie came out.