Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2002, 06:17 PM   #41
Sween
im quite stupid

you wanna fight as well lol messing comic book guy. I apoligise for any offence i may of caused its very out of character im normally such a nice boy
Old 08-08-2002, 06:24 PM   #42
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"I am sure tolkien would of been proud that people were inspired by his books to try and expresses themselves in a medium uncomon to them."

You make a good point, Sween. I think I'll try to remember that point in future. However, let's look at this another way: Should a deaf person be applauded for picking up a guitar and banging out total noise? They also may be inspired by something to try to express themselves in a medium uncommon to them.

But more importantly, in future, you might want to remember that threatening to hit someone simply because you don't like what they said is not a good way to live in a society, no matter how brutish your locale.

As for whether my form of written expression would elicit violent reaction in your environs, I do not doubt that for a minute. Sadly, you seem to advocate that reaction rather than distance yourself from it. I am sure a lot of Tolkien fans, and by extension, Mooters, can relate to getting beat up by some ignorant knuckle-dragging mouthbreather for using more than two syllables in a word. It's not an alien concept. It is, however, disappointing to find in a person who claims to love Tolkien's works, and the films ARE Tolkien through-and-through. The man slaved for years over this work, pouring over every word and nuance. Words were IMPORTANT to John Roald Ruel Tolkien, and they should also be important to those who claim to love the products of his life.

Basically, I think you've asked for understanding while refusing to give it.

So, on topic: What am I most looking forward to seeing in the Two Towers? The Entish assault on Isengard. Sorry for the interruption.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 06:32 PM   #43
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm deaf, and dammit, I'm gonna go find a guitar to bash out some noise now. Point taken Brop. Some things are better left alone - especially in my case: singing and guitar...

I remain ever optimistic that TTT is going to make a complete convert of me, and that I will no longer be the silly sheep that annoys everyone for hating FOTR...
Old 08-08-2002, 06:34 PM   #44
Sween
im quite stupid

yes a deaf person should be aplauded for picking up a gitar even if it makes no sence to them. Infact a deft person is more than capable of playig a gitar all you have to do is learn the notes.

PEOPLE SHOULD ALLWAYS BE ENCORAGED TO TRY EVEN IF THEY MAY FAIL.

ne way end of that rant. Yeah the attack on isengard will be class. Another all action set peice will be gandalf vs the balrog which i think they will show in some form. i am also looking 4ward to gollums back story i know its been filmed and i cannot see it been insured into ROTK.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:36 PM   #45
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Come on, be fair, not EVERYONE is annoyed at you hating FotR.....LOL!

I venture a prediction that after the next two films you might moderate in your disapproval.

[Now if we could all just band together and convince PJ to put the Scouring of the Shire and Sharkey's End back in......I'd say that would make up for leaving out Glorfindel......
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 06:42 PM   #46
Sween
im quite stupid

as much as well all love them in the book they just wont work on film. Pjs doing a good job. I think BoP loves the films really just doesnt want to admit it to herself
Old 08-08-2002, 06:46 PM   #47
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Come on, be fair, not EVERYONE is annoyed at you hating FotR.....LOL!
Did you just use an internet abbreviation? For shame, brop, for shame!

Quote:
I venture a prediction that after the next two films you might moderate in your disapproval.
I REALLY hope you're right! I feel like a most unpatriotic kiwi!

I have a feeling you will be right though - if only that my feelings are transferred from a mild dislike of the film, to a long drawn out sufference! (And from what I've seen, PJ does fighting scenes well, so that should be a step towards redemption, anyway.)

Quote:
Now if we could all just band together and convince PJ to put the Scouring of the Shire and Sharkey's End back in......I'd say that would make up for leaving out Glorfindel......
Hmm, now how will I manage that - I live in Auckland, NOT Wellington!
Old 08-08-2002, 06:48 PM   #48
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
I think BoP loves the films really just doesnt want to admit it to herself
Sorry to disappoint, Sween, but... no. I don't have any closet demons waiting to break out, and threaten to whack my knees if I don't admit to liking the film at least tentatively! I really do rate it as one of PJ's more mediocre films - Heavenly Creatures & Frighteners were much better films IMHO, although not quite as classy as Bad Taste.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:34 PM   #49
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

PJ is not my favorite director but if he can manage the multithreaded plot lines of TTT then his stock will rise with me.

I just can't stand the waiting! At least it is an excuse to re-read LotR before each release date.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 09:08 PM   #50
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cirdan
I just can't stand the waiting! At least it is an excuse to re-read LotR before each release date. [/]

i read it 2 1/2 times since somewhere around febuary, and what is my excuse? reading is good for you!

i still wont to see the ents, oh so badly! and allso some more of gollum

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 11:29 PM   #51
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Reading IS good for you! I just don't understand all those math buffs...I have dinner with two of them sometimes after karate (along with my sensei and my father) and I hear the most 'appalling' things...they despise reading. Not because they aren't good at it, these people are very smart and they can read and spell just fine, they just hate to do it.

Back on topic:
I'm just amazingly excited about the entire movie. Ahh, I can't wait. My friends and I have already made plans to go on opening weekend (last year they went on opening night and didn't get home until two, but they did spot a costumed Gandalf).
Old 08-10-2002, 10:59 PM   #52
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
I doubt it, since the next two look like being even farther from the plot of the book than the first. I'm feeling a little squeamish myself, and I'm totally snowed by FotR. Saruman falling out of his window?
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 07:04 AM   #53
Sween
im quite stupid

Falling out the window is a crappy ending for Saurman a man who is Gandalf superior in the first book. In two towers ganalf is equal stronger he should take him out. I didnt like the way in the book (i saw the movie first) they just let him go. That i allways though was kinda dumb he had killed thousands of people and inflicted huge suffering and its like oh u just stay in your house and behave for gods sake.

he has a bit of a crummy ending in the book as well i though stabbed in the back hardly the way for a maiar to go and his powers been taken away so easily that made me laugh as well.

gandald should take him on again after hes offred him the chance to aid them to destroy Sauron of course got to offer him his chance of redemption.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:05 PM   #54
Cirdan

As a maia Saruman couldn't be killed, but he would become "discorporeal". Window? Is this a movie rumor?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 01:18 PM   #55
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I don't think it's a rumor, awhile back they had it confirmed on TOR.net, but it may still be rumor.

I kind of hope it is.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:42 PM   #56
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
I'm looking forward to Faramir and Eomer. Aside from Boromir and legolas they are my two favorite characters and I can't wait to see how they are portrayed. The guy playing Faramir looks so much like Sean Bean's Boromir it's uncanny....

I also can't wait to see treebeard and the other ents and listening to them talk. All the Vroooommsss and interesting sounds they made in the book should be interesting to hear said on screen.

I'm also hoping that Saruman lives, I will be extremely upset if he dies. Shelob being moved is okay but I don't kow if I'll be able to handle his death... hopefully it is just a rumor.
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:42 PM   #57
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, from what I can gather, Saruman falls out a window onto a spikey contraption of his own making. Perhaps Wormtongue pushes him or something, and I think it's supposed to happen at the end of TTT.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:00 PM   #58
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Well, from what I can gather, Saruman falls out a window onto a spikey contraption of his own making. Perhaps Wormtongue pushes him or something, and I think it's supposed to happen at the end of TTT.
GGGGRRRRRRRR!!!
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:04 PM   #59
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, I *could* be wrong. *crosses fingers*
Old 08-11-2002, 05:18 PM   #60
Cirdan

I second that GGGRRRRR!

...but I would prefer to see him stabbed properly

Does the supposed fall occur in TTT or RotK? :too lazy to look myself:

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary