Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2000, 12:05 AM   #41
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Many-coloured fabric

I don't think so... You need to have the green or blue only if you wnat to completely delete that part from the movie. I don't think they'll do a totally new cloak, they'll just modify the one they already have on film.
Old 08-14-2000, 01:38 AM   #42
anduin

Re: Many-coloured fabric

I disagree, if Saruman is to have a robe of many colors it will be a costume piece, not something that will be altered through a CGI process. It would be less time consuming and the result would be superior, IMO.
Old 08-15-2000, 05:29 PM   #43
Michael Martinez

Re: The wizard and the wheel

So many pictures to keep up with.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-15-2000, 05:33 PM   #44
Michael Martinez

Re: The wizard and the wheel

BTW, I don't know what it's called, but there is in fact a fabric which shimmers and seems to have all the colors of the rainbow. I believe I've seen a white variation of this fabric used in some wedding dresses. I don't know if the effect would be picked up by a camera for a movie.
Old 08-15-2000, 05:56 PM   #45
Gilthalion

When White Is Broken

I seem to recall (being at work, I can't reference it) that in the discussion between Saruman and Gandalf, Saruman talked of how White might be "written over."

I think that those who suggest that computer generated effects might be "written over" a white fabric are on the right track. (I think this more for sentimental reasons than logical ones, I'm afraid, though reason does apply as you will read.)

For one thing, I like the parallel. I humbly think that Saruman would have enchanted his white robes to break the white light that should be reflected. It would be more Elvish to create a material that does this freely on it's own. Saruman's mind does not work that way. He would rather MAKE it happen than LET it happen.

There are prismatic materials that will refract (bend and break) light, and fabrics might be made or coated with such. This is a subtle effect that one had to be close enough to see, especially in a dark keep. But if we are to see a flashback during the Council of Elrond, and if this subtlety is incorporated into the movie, then I expect that the effect would be a bit TOO subtle for the screen. (Particularly the video screen...) The effect would have to be enhanced for the viewers, even on the big screen, perhaps with a tight close-up.

Fine details can be brought to the reader's attention by the author, but the cinematographer has to SHOW them! This is an important point for the purist, because it symbolizes Saruman's fall from wisdom, when he breaks the White to become "Saruman of Many Colors."

I expect, for all these reasons, unless the camera work is very clever and such a fabric has been used, that the effect will be computer generated.

Unless, of course, this nuance has simply gone the way of Bombadil, numerous songs, and a gentle Arwen! All shall be revealed in time...
Old 08-15-2000, 08:10 PM   #46
Shanamir Duntak

Re: When White Is Broken

I guess you're right Gil

Such a fabric would probably be too subtle. I told you, it will be CGI. Don't ask, it's intuition.
Old 08-16-2000, 11:16 PM   #47
anduin

MM, the fabric that you are thinking of is iridescent. If a white iridescent fabric is used, it would be completely washed out I believe and normally has a very subtle effect. There are some fabrics that are halographic, that would produce a more intense effect. These are what I believe Gil is referring to. Now that I have a better grasp on what you are were talking about before....made a bit clearer by Gil's post, I am inclined to think that you all may be closer on track. There is a limit to what a fabric can do, and both of the fabrics that I mentioned would be reliant on a light source. More than likely there will be a need for CGI to lend a helping hand. Good call to whomever said it first.
Old 08-16-2000, 11:35 PM   #48
Shanamir Duntak

Fat middle said it first

But just think of the TIME it will take to do the CGI! That's no little task. we're talking about something big.
Old 08-17-2000, 06:44 PM   #49
Strider

CGI

i agree i dont think they would use CGI for time,money reasons etc. plus i think if they did that it would look to extravagant, its just not worth it for the sake of some clothes. (imho)
Old 08-17-2000, 09:28 PM   #50
Shanamir Duntak

Re: CGI

I didn't said they wouldn't use it... I think they will, but it's a big job to do so... Just wanted to make my thought clear about that...
Old 08-17-2000, 10:11 PM   #51
Eruve

According to <a href=http://www.xenite.org/faqs/lotr_movie/news_0000/174.html>Michael's site</a>, the photo may be a set-up.
Old 08-17-2000, 10:36 PM   #52
Shanamir Duntak

Hope it's true (that it's a fake).

But i'm betting my money that the fake is, in fact, the "anonymous" e mail... Why go in such lenght? Just to create discussions about the movie? humm... not sure about that
Old 08-18-2000, 11:50 AM   #53
Eruve

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen that kind of PR. It's supposed to get people talking and thinking about and anticipating...
Old 08-20-2000, 01:42 PM   #54
Shanamir Duntak

I know... I don't remember in wich thread I started this idea but I was saying that all we heard could be disinformation... Arwen's role expanded, Tom being out... etc. That would just add to the rest. Anyway, I think that this one is not a fake... but honestly I would like it to be a fake, As I'm not sure I'd like that new death of Saruman...
Old 10-30-2000, 11:00 AM   #55
Fat middle

May Eru hear you, Shan/b]

the news sites are again debating news about the infamous pic. i've found this in a long article in TOR.N:
Quote:
If you pause to think about it, it’s clear that this spiked wheel incident is a bit of physical comedy that pays homage to Lee’s remarkable oeuvre as Dracula from the glory days of the Hammer Studios. It must have seemed funny to PJ to have Dracula get a stake through the heart one more time. I wonder that the fan sites didn’t pick up on this immediately.
man, i feel robbe