Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-05-2002, 05:09 PM   #41
Celebrian
Enting

I think I like the Pern series better than the others. I actually think that I like the Acorna books the least. They are a good story, but I just can't get really interested in them! I think the last book she wrote was The Skies of Pern, although Acorna
something came out close to that time. It is definitley time for a knew book, unless Anne McAfferey has really bad arthritis and died or something! Oh, and I am pretty sure Nimisha's ship is in a series because I saw a book called The Ship Who Sang

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:48 PM   #42
Telperion
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebrian
I think I like the Pern series better than the others. I actually think that I like the Acorna books the least. They are a good story, but I just can't get really interested in them! I think the last book she wrote was The Skies of Pern, although Acorna
something came out close to that time. It is definitley time for a knew book, unless Anne McAfferey has really bad arthritis and died or something! Oh, and I am pretty sure Nimisha's ship is in a series because I saw a book called The Ship Who Sang
I think that The Ship Who Sang is in a different sereis. There is also, A Ship Who Won and one other one I think.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 07:25 PM   #43
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
that one is a series that branched out of a series I think. It seems like its in the same universe as the Dinasaur Planet ones. Does any one else want a sequel to Decision at Doona?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:52 PM   #44
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

gimmegimmegimme Anne McCaffrey!!!! gimme new book nownow!!!! yea so I agree that she needs to send out a new book for the Pern series, but she's prolly really busy with her other series or something. I mean, Skies of Pern came out 3-5 years after the previous one, I think. Hopefully she won't take that long this time....
LoD
your friendly neighborhood Orc Killer!
I am Morwen, Lady of Darkness.

Her head was bowed,
from all the tears and pain,
but she would rise again
Lady of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:39 AM   #45
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
she might be done with the perns...
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 01-13-2003, 07:21 PM   #46
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

I dont think so.... she always does this, it's hard for a writer to grind out book after book. I mean, after a while, it's harder to think up things for a specific topic...
SHE BETTER KEEP WRITING!!!!!! or I swear I'll go mad!!!

LoD
Krazy Krazy Krazy is my name!!!

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 01-15-2003, 03:54 PM   #47
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
...unless Anne McAfferey has really bad arthritis and died or something!
>chuckle< To the best of my knowledge, Anne Mc Caffrey is alive and well.

And for all you people who demand a new book, have you yet read A Gift of Dragons? It's her newest published book on Pern and consists of short stories. I have it and it's absolutely wonderful!

I hope she isn't totally done with the Perns. There is so much more material she could go into, especially after Skies!
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:53 PM   #48
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

i liked the Pern books, my sis is a HUGE fan and made me read them!
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:37 PM   #49
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

Good for your sister!!!
What is your favorite Pern Book, or book by Anne McCaffrey?

Feeling like the orcs chewed me, found me too hard to chew, spat me out, ran over me with an army of 10041425425255245252525 orcs and then buried me alive. In other words, like a piece of dung
LoD
*does the Marauder Dance of Victory*
don't ask me why

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 01-22-2003, 09:00 PM   #50
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
my sis is a HUGE fan and made me read them
Hee hee, that's what I did with my mom. She got so tired of hearing me talk about them and having no idea what I was talking about that she decided to read them. She loved them too! It's fun to talk about the books in front of the rest of my family and see the puzzled looks on their faces.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #51
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I have jury duty this week and have been reading A Gift of Dragons during the waiting time. It's been a great week!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:28 PM   #52
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

Jury duty, from what I've heard from my mom, is a great time to catch up w/ stuff, but she had it for almost 2 months, making it hard for me to get places
LoD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 01-24-2003, 08:33 PM   #53
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Darkness
Good for your sister!!!
What is your favorite Pern Book, or book by Anne McCaffrey?

Feeling like the orcs chewed me, found me too hard to chew, spat me out, ran over me with an army of 10041425425255245252525 orcs and then buried me alive. In other words, like a piece of dung
LoD
*does the Marauder Dance of Victory*
don't ask me why
Its eaither the ship that sang of the ship that searched, I haven't read the ship that fought

Old 01-24-2003, 11:21 PM   #54
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

really? what are they about?
LoD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 02-16-2003, 08:23 PM   #55
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

The ship books are about what societies decided to do with many people who were born with huge inabiliteis (like completely paralized sorts of things), they make them into the brains of shis aka brainships. The main harcters of her stories are all the people who've really stuck out. The Ship that Sang was the only singing ship, it was her hobby, and she discovered a new diseaese, the ship that searched was born normal but one day out on a dig with her parents she got hit by a nasty virus and became completely paralized. She found and entirely new species and came up with the idea of building androids with full sensatory equipment for brainships. The city that fought is about one of the out uses for brains, they can become the central computers of cities. I think this entire series takes place in the same universe as the Dinasaur planet one but I'm not sure.

Old 02-20-2003, 10:40 AM   #56
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

I'm just gonna say one thing. Ships that Sing are creepy. I'm not sure if I actually get what the books are about, so I'll go check them out of the library....
LoD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 03-10-2003, 01:32 AM   #57
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

What I'm trying to say is that instead of AI they use people for computers and the Ship that Sang got bored and became a singer/composer...

Old 03-10-2003, 07:40 PM   #58
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

I was kidding.
anyway
obsessed am I?
LoD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 03-27-2003, 09:24 PM   #59
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

okay, I REALLY REALLY REALLY wich I could have a dragon...*sulks*. It would really help w/ my killing of orcs. darn Sci-Fi! me want dragon.
LoD
ME WANT DRAGON!

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 05-09-2003, 07:17 PM   #60
Legoles
Goddess of the evil smilies

I WANT A DRAGON, SO I CAN SCARE EVERYBODY AND PICK UP WHO EVER I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND GO AND KICK TERRORISTS BUTT. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PADFOOT LIVES!
Legoles is offline   Reply With Quote