Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2000, 05:19 AM   #41
IronParrot

Re: death of the second orc ...

dmaul96: It just occurred to me - are we even talking about the same orc?
Old 02-12-2000, 03:07 PM   #42
Darth Tater

Re: death of the second orc ...

Does it really matter? Every litle orc is sacred!
Old 02-12-2000, 04:20 PM   #43
Eruve

Cue music

"Every orc is sacred, Every orc is great! If an orc gets wasted, Sauron gets quite irate..."
Old 02-12-2000, 04:28 PM   #44
juntel

Re: Cue music

Monthy Pythons fans here I see! But so that people know which orc we're talking about, it's the one in front of the one behind him, and left to the one at it's right (or behind the one in front of him, and right to the one at it's left, or any combination thereof... he was moving a lot...).
Old 02-12-2000, 07:31 PM   #45
IronParrot

Bravo Eruve! Of course, when you compare it to the original lyrics... the context...
Old 02-12-2000, 11:38 PM   #46
Eruve

Why, yes, of course, but that was just the sort of absurdity that was the backbone of the Python's humour!
Old 02-12-2000, 11:48 PM   #47
IronParrot

Exactly my point. Brilliant stuff.
Old 02-20-2000, 09:32 PM   #48
Pault742

Dmaul96 is an idiot

Sorry

I don't know much about Monty Python, but I saw one of their movies and it was funny as :rollin:. I think it was called Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The best part was on the bridge when the old guy was asking three questions to everyone.
Old 02-20-2000, 11:20 PM   #49
Eruve

Holy Grail, IMO was the funniest of the Python movies. That little orc ditty was a take-off on a song from Meaning of Life. If you liked Holy Grail, try to get a hold of the original Monty Python's Flying Circus, which was a series they did for BBC around 30 years ago. I don't know if you can rent it on video, but some PBS stations show reruns.
Old 04-17-2000, 07:36 PM   #50
andustar

Re: ...

you can still buy them, i got a 4 vol set of tapes, 'the best of monty python' recently... oh, so funny
but i still say that the holy grail is better than all of it
andustar
Old 04-17-2000, 10:16 PM   #51
IronParrot

Re: ...

Quote:
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Old 06-12-2001, 07:44 PM   #52
ladyisme

Re: Who had the most powerful death in LOTR?

Theoden with Denethor running second
Old 06-12-2001, 08:48 PM   #53
Feanturi

I would have to say that Sauron's death would have to be the most powerful to me. As Hernalt said it marked the passing of the third age. Also Saruman's death, it's not every day that you see a wizard killed by his servant. Although Wormtongue certainly was pushed over the edge.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:16 PM   #54
X Rogue

In no particular order, Theoden, because he died with purpose after he never expected to have purpose again. Denethor, because he lost all purpose and died in despair. Boromir, because he repented and tried to make reparation. Gollum, because it was time.
Old 06-17-2001, 07:31 AM   #55
Idril Celebrindal

Boromir's death held a lot of power for me, as did the scene immediately after, where they send his body down the river. I first read that late at night, sitting in my room. It made a huge difference. There was a real haunting feel to it that I've never felt since, in the kind of silence you get in the middle of the night, with only a small reading light on. Everything was so vivid, and the song... I loved it. I still do...

'O Boromir! The Tower of Guard shall ever northward gaze
To Rauros, golden Rauros-falls, until the end of days.'

beyond that, Gandalf's 'death' in Moria was amazing, the first time. After, it's never the same, because you know he isn't really dead, but that first time... wow. Denethor too, and Gollum, although... Gollum for some reason not so powerfully as the others.

ok, I've rambled on long enough now.
Old 06-18-2001, 12:28 AM   #56
Inoldonil

As is revealed in Letters of Tolkien's, and the Millennium edition of the Lord of the Rings (in which Gandalf uses the word 'death') Gandalf did in fact die. Having killed the Balrog, he perished himself. His soul then went to the One, Eru (whom we should properly call God), and because of his amazing self sacrifice he was allowed to turn, with greater power and wisdom - and clothed in white. You see it was the task of the Wizards in the West of Middle-earth to cause the downfall of Sauron through the Free Peoples. With Radagast neglecting his duties and Saruman fallen, Gandalf was the last hope. He knew this, and yet to save his friends from the Balrog he broke the bridge and sacrificed everything, including himself. Very noble.