Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2002, 10:32 AM   #41
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

If/when I have children I would love to name them Middle-Earthen names. not LOTR.... LOTR = too overused. But, poor kids, Imagine them in a class with a teacher trying to pronounce their name....

Alatariel

"Uh.... Al...Alter.....yell? Alteryell?"
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 03:58 PM   #42
Eothain
Enting

LOTR

Glorfindel is quite cool.

Where is the hand on the harpsting, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?

They have past like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning, or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Frodo lives
Eothain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 04:16 PM   #43
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Fëanor/Fëanaro
Old 12-13-2002, 01:11 PM   #44
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I just like Pippin and Frodo!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:58 AM   #45
Lenya
Elentári

Whay too much lovely names to think of my favourite. Most of the Quenya names are cool - not just the sound of it, but also the meaning. I like Feanórë pretty much. Oh yeah, the spelling also counts for making a name cool Quenya looks pretty.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #46
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

There are many lovely names in the books, but Glorfindel is my favorite. Was quite distressed when he was cut from the movie. Also like Eowyn a lot.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #47
Lenya
Elentári

Don't mention that. He shouldn't have been cut out - makes me *frantically grabs hair*... so angry *supress a tantrum*.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:57 AM   #48
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Why do you like this Glorfindel-dude? He has done NOTHING of importance in his life. Why had he bothered to return from Mandos at all?
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:12 AM   #49
Lenya
Elentári

Because he was cool! And he actually bothered to venture out into the dangerous woods to find Frodo, not Arwen.

"Glorfindel was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strengh."

- Fellowship of the Ring, book II, ch. I
Old 06-27-2005, 04:57 PM   #50
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yeah, I really like Glorfindel, esp. in the Fall of Gondolin story, but I'm not wild about his name. I just don't like the "glor" sound, for some reason. I like most of the names Tolkien came up with, tho, and I like how they hang together "ethnically" (how you can see a name and kind of tell the background of the person because of their language styles). I thought it was interesting how the elves coming from Valinor made Sindarin forms of their names because it was linguistically displeasing to them to not change -
Quote:
from The Shibboleth of Fëanor
The changes from the Quenya names of the Ñoldor to Sindarin forms when they settled in Beleriand in Middle-Earth were on the other hand artificial and deliberate. They were made by the Ñoldor themselves. This was done because of the sensitiveness of the Eldar to languages and their styles. They felt it absurd and distasteful to call living persons who spoke Sindarin in daily life by names in quite a different linguistic mode.
The list of translations of names following this quote is really interesting to me.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 06-27-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #51
Lenya
Elentári

Cool. Where did you get The Shibboleth of Fëanor?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:28 PM   #52
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The Shib is in the History of Middle Earth series, Vol. 12 (The Peoples of Middle Earth).

The HoME (History of Middle Earth) books are 12 books that JRRT's son, Christopher, put together. They consist of previously unpublished works by JRRT in various levels of finished-ness. They're a great read after you've read Hobbit, LOTR and the Sil - they give lots of fascinating background. There's a bunch that are just drafts of LOTR, which I don't have. The ones I really like are the ones that deal mostly with Elvish history:

10 - Morgoth's Ring
12 - The Peoples of Middle Earth
11 - The War of the Jewels
3 - The Lays of Beleriand
1 and 2 - The Book of Lost Tales, 1 and 2

I think there's a thread on the HoME series somewhere... go to your local bookstore and check them out!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #53
Lenya
Elentári

Oh, thanx. I've only read Vol. 3
Old 06-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #54
Rían

If you're into Elvish stuff, you'll like the volumes I listed A lot of it is repeat stuff, but there's some great new stuff, too! Definitely worth getting, IMHO

Old 07-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #55
Lenya
Elentári

Well the only problem is that I have this thing for buying books. I don't like reading a book if its not mine. And right now, I really don't have the money to buy another series. I've thought of getting vol. I & II also, but not just yet.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #56
Rían

I mean go to a bookstore and check them out to see if they're worth buying, IYO - I don't mean sit down and read the whole thing at a bookstore

Old 07-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #57
Lenya
Elentári

That won't work. I've only once (about a year ago) actually seen 4 of them in a book store. Thei're not in high demand - I'll have to order them.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #58
Rían

yeah, there's usually only 1 copy of each in my Borders, if that ...

Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #59
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Cool names? I like a lot of the names, especially the ones that have significant meaning: y'know, Wind in His Hair (he invented the first blow-dryer, you know), Stands with a Fist, Standing Room Only... Ooo, wrong tale. Okay, Middle-Earth, right. Yeah, so I like the ones that mean something (although I can't think of any right now- not been into Tolkien's stuff that much lately). Here's some I like off the top of my head, though:

Elbereth
Findulias
Niniel
.... I. Am. Drawing. A. Blank. Where is my brain? Call me if you find it. It's grey, looks like everyone else's except it's about 0.01 the normal size. K?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #60
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

To support my earlier assertion, I recently (maybe 4-5 months ago) named my car Ancalagon the Black.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote