Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2002, 12:37 PM   #41
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Telperion, if you're related to Celebrian, it might be more decent to correct her off line. I once had a sister posting here, and she occasionally also corrected my posts. It can be a pain.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:37 PM   #42
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Balderdash . I just finished reading Morgawr, the third book to the Voyage of Jerle Shannara series, and that's no ending! Does anyone know when the next one is scheduled to be released?
Old 02-18-2003, 11:24 AM   #43
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Balderdash . I just finished reading Morgawr, the third book to the Voyage of Jerle Shannara series, and that's no ending! Does anyone know when the next one is scheduled to be released?
Maybe he'll make "Voyage..." into a quartet like "Heritage... or go on indefinitely.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 07:34 PM   #44
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I love the Shannara series! My fav are The Sword of Shannara and The Elfstones of Shannara. I have read all of the books written by Terry Brooks. The Magic Kingdom Series are pretty good and I didn't like the Word and Void series. Shannara's are by far the best. Though his newest books are kind of boring. I think he's running out of ideas. His first were soo exciting and the ends were such a surprise!
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:10 PM   #45
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
Maybe he'll make "Voyage..." into a quartet like "Heritage... or go on indefinitely.
Yes, a quartet is possible. But the villains are all dead .

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
I love the Shannara series! My fav are The Sword of Shannara and The Elfstones of Shannara. I have read all of the books written by Terry Brooks. The Magic Kingdom Series are pretty good and I didn't like the Word and Void series. Shannara's are by far the best. Though his newest books are kind of boring. I think he's running out of ideas. His first were soo exciting and the ends were such a surprise!
I'm not sure which are my favorites of the Shannara series. They're sort of blurred together in my mind, all except a few details from various books. I read one of the Magical Kingdom of Landover books, but didn't enjoy it as much as Shannara. I haven't read the other two series.

When you say his newest books, which ones in particular did you mean? Phantom Menace and the Jerle Shannara series, or are you talking about other books I haven't read? Actually, I haven't read most of Terry Brooks' books. Primarily I've only read the Shannara series.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:14 PM   #46
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I liked the Wishsong, the Elfstones, the Elfqueen...Terry Brooks is a REALLY good author. Of course, the first one was something of a clone of LOTR (Great storyline, bad for approval). But he has more than made up for it in the past. His works are very interesting. I've read all except the Voyage of Jerle Shannara series. I've also read Magic Kingdom for Sale - SOLD!, and 1 or 2 other Landover books. Those were quite good as well.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:57 AM   #47
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

By the newest books I mean, THe Voyage of Jerle Shannara and a few in the Magic Kingdom Series. I thought the Sword or Elfstones and some others were sooo exciting, complex, unique and had such an awesome ending. The Voyage seemed kind of boring and repetetive to me.
Terry Brooks signed a contract to write one book a year as opposed to taking four years or so on the Sword. It seems as if he might be running out of ideas. But even so he is one of my fav authors.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:06 PM   #48
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Hey, did anyone here ever think of the idea that The Four Lands in the Shannara series could be the future of Earth. I think it might possibly be. In the Sword, Allanon explains it. There was a time in the past when Man was the dominant race. (present day) There were huge cities, and highly developed science, and machines. In the Great Wars, man almost destroyed himself. Then those who survived, seperated and some evolved into other races. Such as the Dwarves, who hid under the earth in caves and became short and stocky and Trolls became tall, thick skinned, and lived in the mountains.
In several of his books he refers to places that seem like they are on Earth, North America in particular. The Elf Queen goes to an island (Hawaii). The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara travel across the Blue Divide (Pacific ocean) to Parkasia. (Asia) And in the Druid of Shannara they travel north to the huge remains of a city near the water (Seattle).
If this was Brook's intention I think it's a cool idea!
Does anyone else agree?
Old 02-20-2003, 09:42 PM   #49
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Oh yes, I definitely agree. As a matter of a fact, I've always assumed that this was Earth; there was never any doubt in my mind. I think that it's a fairly classic model (Other writers have done the same thing), and many elements (Like the races and some of the plot elements)are similar to Tolkien. Also in the Voyage of the Jerle of Shannara series, we hear Walker Boh talk about weapons at that time having been developed that could destroy an entire city. The way he spoke of it made it also seem very likely he was referring to atomic bombs.

In my opinion, there was a nuclear holocaust and because of the nuclear radiation some humans were deformed. So some of these races are alterred humans, or at least have seemed so to me. The absence of much vegitation and the new primitive state of mankind also make it make logical that we would see so many dangerous predators and so few herbivors.

As for locations . . . I'm not sure about that. It could be, but it doesn't have to be. If there was a nuclear holocaust, land masses might have shifted, due to the dreadful pounding and violent conditions. That's what happened in another series I've read that also assumes new races after a nuclear holocaust- the lands and oceans shifted.

I agree with you about the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara series being less good than the others. Terry Brooks' writing style is still good, but the books were somewhat predictable. There weren't many fascinating, unexpected plot twists. He sure enjoyed beating up his main characters in those books a lot, and they didn't seem quite so original.

I still enjoyed them a lot anyway, though . I wonder how Terry Brooks plans to defeat the Federation.

Oh, one question. In The Elfstones of Shannara, did it still say that the Elfstones only effected magical beings? I don't remember that being a rule, but it has been so long since I read that book, I could easily have forgotten.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 02-20-2003 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:01 AM   #50
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Yes, I as well had always thought there had been a nuclear war. It makes sense how the civilization could have been practially wiped out and how radiation could have mutilated some humans into other creatures.
The locations could very easily not be what I thought. The books say that the geography of Earth had been greatly changed in the Wars. Especially if there had been a nuclear war. I know Brooks had lived in both Seattle and Hawaii, so I thought he may have intended the places to be the same. But that's just my idea.

Yea, I wonder how he'll defeat the Federation. Do you think he'll write another series? He ended the last book with so many new ideas and possibilities. I hope so.

About the Elfstones, The Elfstones were created from magic in a time when the Elves needed protection from the evil magic. Being a source of magic, I can see how they wouldn't have any effect on the nonmagic. I don't remember any rule about them, it has been a while since I read the books as well. From what I remember, they were only used against magic creatures.

I guess I'll have to read it again! THe Elfstones is one of my fav
Old 03-13-2003, 03:54 PM   #51
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Most people disagree but Wishsong and First King where the best. The only thing that got me is that all the bad guys seem to wear black cloaks.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 04:36 PM   #52
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

Terry Brooks is writing a new Shannara trilogy, called High Druid of Shannara.The first book in the trilogy, titled Jarka Ruus, is scheduled to be released in August or September of this year. Jarka Ruus will pick up 20 years after the events of Morgawr and will detail the Four Lands first Druid Council since the time of Bremen.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:50 PM   #53
Gwaimir Windgem

Deepest apologies, but I don't think I know 'Morgawr'. What is it?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-13-2003, 07:20 PM   #54
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Morgawr is the name of the third book of The Voyage of Jerle Shannara. He is the powerful evil of the story who is like a huge lizard.

The new book sounds interesting. Will Brianne be the Driud?
Old 03-13-2003, 11:41 PM   #55
Gwaimir Windgem

Och, that explains it. I haven't read the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara series.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-15-2003, 04:25 PM   #56
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

I actually thought that the "Shannara"-series would end with Morgawr. But now I suppose one has to buy the next trilogy as well.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:28 PM   #57
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Sneaky way to take people's money . It's the story that never ends!

I had thought it would end with Morgawr too, and it sort of did, but it also didn't. And that's why I have to read the next series. Not that I wouldn't have, anyway .

Thanks for the information on the next Shannara trilogy, Sylvee .
Old 03-16-2003, 04:31 AM   #58
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Sneaky way to take people's money . It's the story that never ends!

I had thought it would end with Morgawr too, and it sort of did, but it also didn't. And that's why I have to read the next series. Not that I wouldn't have, anyway .

Thanks for the information on the next Shannara trilogy, Sylvee .
I usually buy them one by one, but I think I'll buy the finished trilogy this time and who knows, it might be the final one.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:21 PM   #59
Aewionen
Elf Lord

I love this series!!! I started to read the Isle Witch and I thought it was awesome!! My sister then stole it from me and now I am reading it again. Though it is kinda like LotR, it is still written with a unique sort of way. My fav. character is Little Red, or Rue Meridian.
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade

"I feel a slight tingling feeling... I think its affecting me." -Legolas during a drinking contest (EE ROTK)
Aewionen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:33 PM   #60
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

If you like Shannara you should really read his first series

The Sword of Shannara (awesome)
Elfstones of Shannara (my favorite)
Wishsong of Shannara

In my opinion the are better than the Jerle Shannara.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com