Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #41
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
I'm ordering one now! Who designed these?
That our talented artist and chocoholic admin, Eärniel

Much appreciated, Elleth

Gather around, mooters! Get yerselves a nice T-shirt to wear for when The Hobbit hits theaters! And there's more! Do spoil yerselves with a nice Entmoot mug, so you can have yer tea while mooting!

http://www.cafepress.com/entmoot
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 12-29-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #42
Jonathan

May 2011 be merry and bright, guys! Have a blast tonight
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #43
Mari
Elf Lady

Well, we can, but it's not like you'll see any actual fireworks through the fog... I dunno why but the past few years we've had a thick fog on December 31st every year!
The people who bought lots of pretty but expensive fireworks are going to be peeved.

Happy 2011 to you all!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #44
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

A little over two hours and counting here in Taiwan- they say the fireworks are going to be special this year, since it's also the centenary of the founding of the Republic of China, of which this island is the last remnant.

Weather is clear, but the news has been warning all day about the extreme cold expected- advising people to wear their hats, gloves, scarves, heaviest coats etc. , and having features on keeping warm while watching the fireworks. They say it's going all the way down to 10 C/ 50F.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #45
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Well, I certainly hope you don't intend to go out in such arctic temperatures!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #46
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Where I live we're all confused by the weather. Usually the temperatures are in the low 30's (F) all December, but this whole week they've been in the 70's! The highest predicted temperature for tomorrow is 30, though, so hopefully we'll get a taste of real winter!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #47
inked
Elf Lord

Why is it that Jonathan gives the best Christmas/New Year present of the cafe press Entmoot site?

And suppose we wanted to donate directly to the 'Moot to avoid paying higher taxes to less deserving governments? Hmm? How do we do that?

Happy Moot Year!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 12-31-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: twitchy enter pinkie syndrome
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #48
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Happy Moot Year to you all! January will mark two years of 'mooting for me! I'm so happy to have found you all. I used to stand out as a Tolkien fan, and now I belong a group of his aficionados, and can discuss what I love with others who love it too. Thank you all so much. I look forward to 'mooting for years to come.

I will be festivating (word?) at home with friends and family. What is everyone else doing?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #49
Gwaimir Windgem

My brother and I are (pretty randomly) going to watch Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf with copious amounts of hard liquor, then do a bottle of champagne at midnight. Should be a good night.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #50
Gwaimir Windgem

Dear GOD, I forgot what a powerful work Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is. I'm pretty sure it's the best play of the twentieth century. And the film version with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton is such, such a great adaptation. LOVE! I think I've found a new New Year's tradition: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and gin.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 AM   #51
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Happy New Year everyone! May your festivities be fun, your body survive the amount of alcohol you consume, and your year be just as good as the last!
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 01-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #52
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

So, goodbye 2010 and may the likes of you never darken my doorstep again. We set off at the wrong foot from the very beginning and I'm not sorry to see you go!

2011, you better be awesome!

So, has everybody survived the festivities?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #53
Jonathan

Barely
Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #54
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Looks like Santa's still out partying ....

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #55
Earniel

I have an extremely tricksy family. They effectively tricked me into getting my own New Year gift this year. I occasionally have gotten my own gift before, if the others won't have enough know-how about the specific thing I want, or won't have time to get it, but I've never been tricked into it. And of course I fell for it all the way.

So my mum comes up to me two weeks ago and says she wants to get something for my dad but needs my help because she doesn't know what all the specifications do. So I go with her, visit several stores, compare products, explain tech specs, write down models, spend hours at home looking up models and packages. All while my dad is out of the room so he doesn't get wind of things. Eventually I end up picking something I think will work for him, go to the shop, buy it and end up dragging the giant box home on a rickety caddy across a slippery sidewalk through 10 cm of snow. Then have the thing take up space in my room for a week, covered with a blanket and with a note 'top sicrit, no peeking'.

I even buy my dad a smaller effigy in candy so I don't have to pack the whole box in paper. (Now I know why my mother wasn't quite as enthusiastic about that idea as she would have been...) I only suspected something like twenty seconds before being presented with the very thing I spend all that time acquiring for my dad. And of course everybody was in on it, expect for me.

I have an awesome family, but they're very tricksy.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #56
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

But now don't you wish you had convinced your mom to splurge on something better for your dad?

That's pretty awesome, though. I'm still laughing after reading it.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #57
Earniel

Yeah, the family had a lot of laughs about it too.... Especially the part where I dragged the bloody thing through the snow had them in stitches. I'm sure my sister already has the story of how I proudly informed her of the very cool thing we got for dad this year all written up on her facebook.

The thing is, if I had known it had been for myself, I'd have gone with something simpler and a bit cheaper. So maybe I should count myself lucky my mother insisted I get something better.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #58
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Earniel, that story cracks me up. Funny though, things I buy for my dad are not things I would want...maybe its different with what you bought. The candy, of course, would be awesome.
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #59
Jonathan

Hehehe, that's a very cunning family you've got

There must be an epilogue to this story. Like, did your dad get his candy, or did you lay claim to that as well ? And most importantly, will you give us a clue as to what was in that mystery box?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #60
Earniel

Oh, didn't I say what it was? Typical. It was a brand new computer, the last one we had, was bought the previous century and was starting to get serious issues.

So my dad can keep the candy.