Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #41
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

of course galadriel was evil! she was of the noldor, and we all know the only noldorin elf who was not evil was turgon the magnificent, turgon the splendiferous
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #42
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Well, you despise Galadriel more than I do! Than IF you are right, she would hardly think of Sam more than "of a worm in the mud". Would she really bother to mock him?
No, I did not despise her.
She was the most powerful person on Middle Earth at that time. In the Third age she manage to do a thing which even Lord Fingolfin was not able to do - she reunited the Elves of Middle- earth, and since that time a political direction of the elves was cardinally changed.
She was very farseeing politician, charming intrigant, and cold and calculating person , who with a strong hand was reshaping political picture of Middle-earth into more favorable for the Elves.
Her unique combination of power, brains and beauty amazes me, but I don't like her and have no sympathy to her sorrows for what she has done in the Middle-earth .

Last edited by Olmer : 05-22-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #43
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
of course galadriel was evil! she was of the noldor, and we all know the only noldorin elf who was not evil was turgon the magnificent, turgon the splendiferous
Why Turgon? Finrod was the only decent one, IMHO.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #44
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Why Turgon? Finrod was the only decent one, IMHO.
finrod the caveman? finrod the simpleton? finrod the fool?
turgon is supreme divinity on arda
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #45
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
turgon is supreme divinity on arda
Mmm... Was he a communist deep in his heart then?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #46
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
You forget his father. Fingolfin the Great
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #47
Morelen
Hobbit

This is probably a stupid theory but I've always thought that maybe Galadriel put some magic-yness into the belts (like protection or whatever, kinda like in the cloaks) and gave them to Merry and Pippen because they were small and everyone else was busy protecting Frodo, and to Boromir because maybe she could tell that he was walking on the edge of death (as it were) and was trying to protect him with the elvishness. Eh?
Evil Overlord Tip #24: I will maintain a realistic assessment of my strengths and weaknesses. Even though it takes some of the fun out of the job, I will never utter the line "No, this cannot be! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!" (After that, death is usually instantaneous.)
Morelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #48
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morelen
This is probably a stupid theory but I've always thought that maybe Galadriel put some magic-yness into the belts (like protection or whatever, kinda like in the cloaks) and gave them to Merry and Pippen because they were small and everyone else was busy protecting Frodo, and to Boromir because maybe she could tell that he was walking on the edge of death (as it were) and was trying to protect him with the elvishness. Eh?
Possible. (although I think Faramir should get a refund for Boromir's belt )

Do you have any documentation to support your theory?

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:00 PM   #49
Morelen
Hobbit

um...*scuttles around collecting all her books* well...no, not really.
Evil Overlord Tip #24: I will maintain a realistic assessment of my strengths and weaknesses. Even though it takes some of the fun out of the job, I will never utter the line "No, this cannot be! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!" (After that, death is usually instantaneous.)
Morelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #50
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morelen
You are probably right. There definitely was some magic in all other Galadriel's presents. Glad to have you here, Morelen. Hang around!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #51
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

It just hit me!!! You know how it's a gold belt? And how heavy gold is? She gave it to him so he couldn't catch Frodo!
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #52
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
What would [Galadriel] do if would has been in close proximity to the Ring for such long time, when she almost grabbed it at the first sight!
My impression was that Galadriel was tempted at first sight, but that after overcoming her first temptation should would not be tempted again
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 PM   #53
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Perhaps there more to the "belt" than meets our eyes.

Belts feature prominently in various mythologies.

For example, consider Hercules' ninth labor, capturing the belt worn by the queen of the Amazon women. When he arrived at the mouth of the Thermodon river, he anchored his ship and was visited by Hippolyte herself. She was apparently sufficiently enamored of him to give him her belt as a token of her affection.

Also consider Thor. He got three gifts from the dwarfs, his magic hammer, a pair of magic gloves to protect Thor's hands from the hammer, and a belt which doubled his already impressive strength when he wore it.

In Greek mythology, in discussing the chariot of Artemis, Callimachus was to have said, "In golden armor and belt, you yoked a golden chariot, bridled deer in gold."

In Roman mythology, it is said, Turnus killed the young prince Pallas who had rashly challenged him to single combat and wore his belt as a trophy.

Finally, in modern day America, you are said to really excell at something when you have it "under your belt."

Tolkien was a student of mythology so be open to the possibility that at least his own intent, in having Galadrial give Boromir a belt, was truly to honor him.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #54
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Wow-good points!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #55
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

two thumbs up! [puts two thumbs up]
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:30 AM   #56
King of The Istari
Elven Warrior

Location: Some where quite interesting with psychedelic trees
Gandalf

Quote:
I don't believe Galadriel or Boromir were evil in they're lust for the ring:

Boromir: he wanted the ring's power to protect his country and his people, it is not until the end is it that the ring shows him the power HE could have, but he then saw that this was wrong and redeemed himself for his wrongdoing in the only way he knew how, in combat.

Galadriel I always see as a lot like Saruman, they both hae had a secret lust for the power to rival Souron, saruman's turns from the want to destroy Souron to looking on him as his equall and trying to best him in power. But Galadriel knows exactly what will happen to her if she possesses this ring and the consequences of owning it but I believe her being the highest of elves did slightly envy Souron's power but her knowing of what would happen to her and to middle earth stopped her from taking it

these people shouldn't be looked at as evil for lusting after the ring's power but looked on as good for renouncing that power!

And what happened to the rest of your party, killed, eaten, gone home?
Beorn, The Hobbit

Dark and difficult Times lie ahead Harry, soon we must all face a choice, a choice between what is right and what is easy!
Dumbledore

Neo Are you listening to Me? Or are you too busy looking at the Woman in the Red Dress?
Morpheus, The Matrix
King of The Istari is offline   Reply With Quote