Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2001, 03:23 AM   #41
Tar Melian

Miralys & Lief...

You must, absolutely MUST, make it a goal to have played and sledded and made a snowman in the snow before you die! It's something everyone needs to have done, at least once. Pleeeese, promise me you will do this!!
Old 03-22-2001, 07:54 AM   #42
Idril Celebrindal

Re: Miralys & Lief...

we haven't had enough snow for snowmen here for several years now... and then we were snowed in. We'd just got this house, and there was no central heating. That wasn't exactly fun, either.
Old 03-22-2001, 03:09 PM   #43
Tar Melian

Idril...

I hope you at least have fireplaces or space heaters! I got out an OLD map of England to see where Norfolk is, and it shows a whole county called Norfolk. I suppose there must be a city by that name also? It sounds like a rather neat area that you live in... close to the ocean and broads, and London. (One of these days I'd like to visit the Isles...sigh.)

Living close to the ocean like that does have it's disadvantages, as well as advantages. Mud slides sound pretty scary. Do you get hurricanes that far north? (Probably a dumb question..) I grew up about an hours drive from the Gulf Coast, and that was always our greatest fear, along with the occasional tornado. Now I live in the Tennessee river valley area, and flooding is a problem. And we now live in what people call tornado alley. Not fun! But other than that, this part of the country is pretty because we are in the southern beginnings of the Appalatian Mts.
Old 03-23-2001, 07:15 AM   #44
Tar Melian

toodle-loo !

We're heading for the beach tomorrow, so I won't be posting for the next week. Hold the fort down, and all that! I'd better go finish packing...See ya later!
Old 03-23-2001, 08:04 AM   #45
Idril Celebrindal

Re: toodle-loo !

no city, but most of Norfolk is broads, marsh and Fens. The only city in Norfolk is Norwich, which I live some distance from. I live in a really tiny place called Lessingham, which only just shows up on a map of the village. Maybe 200 people live here.

It's great here in summer. The salt marshes, when u know how to navigate the little creeks, are great sailing, and so are the broads. Canoeing on the beach, but very few shops and a bus once a day to the city, which is some distance away.

We had, at that point, one wood burner which heated up the under stairs cupboard nicely but did very little else, and one open fire. It was really cold, especially for somewhere that never normaly gets more than a dusting of snow... upstairs there was no heating, and all the pipes froze, then the power went, and I never want a winter like that again. Wasn't fun.
Old 03-31-2001, 12:19 AM   #46
Tar Melian

I'm back!

Hi, just got back from the beach and visiting with my mom and dad! I can't believe the first thing I wanted to do was to check out Entmoot! Gee, I guess I really missed you guys....

I just finished reading the first book, "Redwall". Has anyone else read them? It was a good book, but not one I would read over and over again, like LOTR.
Old 03-31-2001, 12:59 AM   #47
anduin

Re: I'm back!

Welcome back! Is that what you read while on vacation? I love to read on vacation. The first time I read LOTR I was on vacation. What was the weather like at the beach? Oh, and where was it?
Old 03-31-2001, 03:41 AM   #48
Tar Melian

Hi, Anduin!

Yes, I love to read on vacation, too! (Although, I'm not much fun for everyone else!) I have been wanting to start the Redwall series for awhile, but could never find the first book in stock...I don't like to read out of order! Anyway, I finally ordered it, and got it in time to take with us on spring break holiday.

We went to Orange Beach on the Gulf Coast in Alabama. (Yes, we do have a little section of beach in Alabama...and it's beautiful!) We were there for 4 days, and the weather was sunny the whole time...the wind and temps got alittle chilly, but we luckily had a condo with an outdoor heated pool...which was great! The water was so calm, it looked like a lake! (It got rougher the day we left) We ate good ol' fried shrimp and scallops and stuffed crab, and grilled out homestyle ribs and grouper! (The grouper came from a deep sea fishing trip that my SO and his dad went on about 2 weeks ago!)
Old 03-31-2001, 07:35 AM   #49
anduin

Re: Hi, Anduin!

Yeah, I'm not too much fun on vacation either...sometimes. I usually keep very much to myself on, locking myself away to read. Hey, it is my vacation too!

I love fresh seafood. Heck, I love seafood in general! Haven't had much grouper, but I love blue gill and catfish! Scallops and crab are some of my faves, especially king crab! I've eaten almost 3 lbs at one sitting.
Old 03-31-2001, 08:28 PM   #50
Idril Celebrindal

I'm going to see my gran tomorrow, in Notingham.

I spen my holidays reading. I go on some foreign holiday, and spend it by the pool reading. I've read the Redwall books. Read them a few years back.

The beach here is cold, windy and with what is probably the best surf I'm likely to find in Norfolk (I love canoeing, especially surfing, but at the point when my father made me do eskimo rolls in the sea in winter I didn't exactly love it so much).

My holidays are in a weeks time. I'm going to see my cousin, who is now 21 and the drummer a band with a former member of Boyzone (I hate boyzone, so i'm hoping this won't be the same kind of group)... anyway, he's a little (understatement) excited about it.
Old 04-01-2001, 02:24 PM   #51
bmilder

Hehe, before vacation I try to convince my dad to bring his laptop so I don't suffer from Entmoot withdrawal
Old 04-02-2001, 12:40 AM   #52
Tar Melian

Bmilder....

sounds like you might be one of those people who aren't much fun on vacation, either!

Boy, when it rains, it pours! My kitchen sink starting spewing water all over the back of the counter every time it's turned on, and then something in the toilet broke so that the water never stops running....*exhales loudly*

Speaking of the weather, I'm so glad it's beginning to look a lot like Spring! I made my (probably) last pot of chili tonight...the cornbread looked like a bomb hit it....so we couldn't eat it.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:03 AM   #53
Idril Celebrindal

Re: Bmilder....

hehe... food again.

the WORST person on holiday is my borther. He wants to take the computer (a large mac. NOT a laptop), he doesn't wnat to go somewhere too hot or too cold, he doesn't like foreign food, he doesn't like walking, he doesn't like ANYTHING... and tells us all so at the top of his voice.
Old 04-04-2001, 12:51 AM   #54
Tar Melian

question

We went on a nice vacation this summer - Yellowstone, Glacier, the Teton, Hells Canyon, etc - and all our kids wanted to do was...go back to the hotel to go swimming! I guess there's only so much site seeing a kid wants to do...What do y'all think - how old ARE kids when they, generally, no longer want to go on vacation with the family?

oh yes... TAXES!....bah..humbug!
Old 04-04-2001, 05:53 AM   #55
Idril Celebrindal

Re: question

well, my brother never wanted to. I still have fun when we go away, because I like being somewhere different.
Old 04-04-2001, 02:19 PM   #56
X Rogue

Hmmm, I was 17 when I no longer wanted to go on vacations w/ my family. The 'rents had this argument they got into on the way out the door*every* last time, and by then I could've repeated it back to them line for line. Everyone wanted to go somewhere different. Everyone had different interests.Nobody had assigned jobs to do to get everyone out the door. It was no longer fun. I was the one who wanted to read thru the vacation (before laptops OR message boards, alas) and it drove everyone crazy. Not to mention we couldn't get everyone out of the house on schedule with 2 bathrooms, why were we crazy enough to think we could get it done with only one in the motel room? Sigh. Does anyone still enjoy their vacations?
Old 04-04-2001, 10:01 PM   #57
Miralys

I enjoyed vacations until I was about 15. Then the problem was that I grew tired of my father monopolizing the vacation schedule. We always had to be doing something. We could never just sit down and relax. I suppose his theory was to get the most for the money??
Old 04-05-2001, 05:39 AM   #58
Idril Celebrindal

my father can be like that. but he doesn't make us come with him. he just vanishes off for a day, comes back in the evening, announces that he's cycled up a mountain and he's hungry now, where's supper?

of course, I don't have family holidays any more. it's a little more relaxed, in a way. less ppl to try and please.
Old 04-16-2001, 06:50 AM   #59
Tar Melian

stuff

Thanks for the input on vacations, y'all! We are planning to go to Disney world this summer, so the kids are excited!

They are also excited because....the Easter Bunny dropped off 3 bunnies at our house! They are sooo cute! One is white with light brown spots, one is fawn colored, and one is a lop-eared one with a dark brown/black color. We don't know what gender yet...but stay tuned!
Old 04-16-2001, 05:46 PM   #60
Lief Erikson

Re: stuff

We have fifteen bunny rabbits at our house! About ten of them are babies, and the rest are all older. All of this started from picking up one rabbit that was running loose in the park, and it managed to leap through a four or five inch gap at the top of the hutch. That crack linked its own section to that of Chocolate's, our other rabbit. Presto, bunny rabbits galore!

We've managed to get rid of two of the larger ones, sending them to a person who is buying a ranch. The babies will all be either sent to the Shelter or to the pet store, if they'll accept them. We're keeping three of the older ones which are part of the original litter, and we're also keeping Pippin, the female we caught in the park.

So the situation is getting under control, and we are at least armed with enough cages to hold them all in separately. Except for the babies, of course, which stay with their mothers. They are about a week old and very cute.