Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2002, 06:58 AM   #41
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I was disappointed when it ended right after the parting of the sea. Didn't even get to the 10 Commandments.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 01:23 PM   #42
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Prince of Egypt was NOT a Disney movie. It was made by the same company that made "Anastasia".

I personally liked the movie, but I also knew what was going to happen, with the dying. Yes, I agree that God was cruel in the Old Testament. Having kids must really mellow you out (yeah, y'know, Jesus is His Son). I'm not meaning to offend anyone either,because I happen to be Christian, and more so than just giving myself the title (like a lot of people at my school do)
Old 02-17-2002, 02:09 PM   #43
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Prince of Egypt was NOT a Disney movie. It was made by the same company that made "Anastasia".
Ah I knew it!
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 03:09 PM   #44
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

hmmm... guess that explains why I liked Prince of Egypt....
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 10:11 PM   #45
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Ooh! I love Anastasia! It's way better than Prince of Egypt! That's the same company that made Titan A.E. (nother good movie) right?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:13 PM   #46
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
First off I have to say this. I tired of everyone thinking that God is cruel and mean and doesn't care about anyone but the Jews. I am honestly tired of that because it's NOT the truth. God has been very merciful to me. And I'm not a Jew. I am a born again,non denominational, Bible beliving Christian with Irish and English and German roots.
Second stop thinking the Egyptians were innocent because they weren't. I'll get to it later

If you call justice CRUEL than putting criminals in jail is cruel. Does God DEMAND a human sacrafice like Molech?A sacrafice where you took a KNIFE and STABBED it INTO the chest of a CHILD and while he/she was still living PULLED the BEATING heart OUT of that childs chest and burned it in front of their parents eyes?NO! And the Egyptians were being PUNISHED. If God is called cruel because he killed Egyptian first borns as a PUNISHMENT for wrong doing(and dont let me get started on what they did wrong. It'd take forever) than what would you call throwing baby Hebrews in the Nile to be drowned and EATEN by CROCODILES just for the sake of Hebrew Population Control? And whats more any Egyptian could JOIN the Hebrews if he was circumsized(sp?)and worshipped the True God of Israel from then on. God is NOT cruel. He is JUST. There is a BIG difference in JUST and CRUEL. What the Aztecs,Druids,Hittites,Ammonites, and Babylonians(to name a few) did to their prisoners,slaves, and even FAMILY members was unjust and CRUEL.
If you call: Sending his son down to Heaven to earth to grow up as a human being with the same temptations we have,to die on the cruelst instrument of death in those times, to destroy the power of Satan and his power over our lives,and to RISE AGAIN a VICTOR cruel than I am glad I serve a cruel God, because he did that for us.
Sam
ps. I liked Anastasia, and did you know that Deep Impact was a Dreamworks production? Even though it wasn't good it still had Elijah Wood in it and I know that's ONE thing Frodo Friend and I BOTH see eye to eye for. I could just pause that movie JUST as he looks his hottest and sit there for HOURS.(J/K)
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:21 PM   #47
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Ummm.......okay, I just won't say anything.

Deep Impact was Dreamworks too? I hated that movie! Except Elijah, of course. Dreamworks has a talent for drawing up cute cartoon characters.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:52 PM   #48
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Whoohoo Sam!

Ooh, I loved Titan A.E. I almost got my hair cut and died like the girl (I cannot for the life of me remember her name)
Old 02-18-2002, 01:21 AM   #49
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Samwise, please calm down. I'm a believer too, but it seems you're being a little overzealous. However, maybe you're justified (everyone else was being a little judgmental)

The deal is this: The Israelites are God's chosen people. You mess with them, you've got yourself a death wish. They moved to Egypt after the famine and after several generations, a new dynasty of pharaohs took over who knew nothing of Joseph and all them. They took the Israelites captive. Four hundred years after they got to Egypt, GOd decided it was time for the Israelites to go home. The pharaoh, however, disagreed. So God decided to show him who was, well, God. He sent a series of plagues, each one of which mocks a respectively more powerful Egyptian god.... Finally Pharaoh decided to let the Israelites go. BUt then he decided to chase them and get them back... and the rest is in the Bible... (well, so was everything I just said, but maybe that'll clar stuff up).

BTW: Starr you mean Akima (Drew Barrymore)

Lord of the Dance, Lord of the Flies. Lord of the Rings:
-The hobbits end up stranded on a desert island and pass the time by clog dancing.

George Lucas does LOTR
-Saruman: Join me, Gandalf!
-Gandalf: Never! You killed my father!
-Saruman: No, Gandalf. I am your father.
Gandalf: NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Disney does LOTR
-Imagine live action disney LOTR
BTW: No, it was not his bent knee (seen the movie too many times to believe that one). And on the cover, there was a, um, misdrawn tower.

All the male characters are female and vice versa:
Hey that way Liv Tyler doesn't have to STEAL a man's part. Gandalf would eat a lot more chocolate. Well, come to think of it, they would all be eating chocolate instead of smoking piepeweed all the time. Aragorn would just laugh when Eowyn begs him/her to let him/her go along. Gimli would have a ridged forhead, and no one would say Sam and Frodo were gay, cuz it's okay for girls to act like that with each other. Merry and Pippin would get yelled at more often, and insted of eating all the time, they'd say "What about Jenny Craig?"
"I don't think he knows about Jenny Craig."
"But what about Slim Fast, and Power Bar, and Chub Club, and Martha Stewart, and 24 Hour Fitness, and Lean Cuisine (sp?)? Do you think he knows about those?"
"I wouldn't count on it." two V8s come flying at them instead of apples

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:18 PM   #50
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I've got a better idea for George Lucas, actually I got it off of a website but it's really funny:
Gandalf:You shall not PASS!
BALROG:Gandalf...I am your father.
Gandalf:NOOOO...*cracks the bridge in twain.
BALROG:*falls off the bridge*SOOOONNNN!!!
Gandalf:*Reaches down and tries to catch the Balrog*No. FATHER.*breaks down and weeps*
OR...
Frodo starts fighting Gollum near the Cracks of Doom and is all struggling and stuff like that.
Gollum:Hisss Precious, I am hobbitses father.
Frodo:NOOOO!*starts fighting ALOT and mortally woundes Gollum*
suddenly Sauron shows up and starts zapping Frodo, Gollum comes up behind him and throws him over the Cracks of Doom along with the Ring. He falls down.Frodo takes Gollums head in his lap.
Frodo:Father*breaks down and weeps*
Gollum:*weakly*Hsssss. Hobbits...will...forgive...us...precious...son
Frodo:Yes father
Gollum dies and Frodo breaks down weeping.
Now THAT is the making of a REALLY scary movie. It kind of makes you wanna laugh though.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 02-19-2002, 12:22 AM   #51
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

samwise of the shire

I have a good title for that one:
"Not another LOTR Juxstapostion"

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:40 AM   #52
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Disney are soooooooo desperate for stories now they're releasing SEQUELS.... Happy ever after doesn't leave much room for a storyline does it?

Tolkien wouldn't have ever let Disney make a mockery of his life's work and neither should we!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhh hhhhh!!!!!!

The thought of it...
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:56 AM   #53
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Sam

can you desist with the proselytism and apologetics.

You and sakata said you would both return to the following thread but never did. can you please keep this thread clear and your move your dogmas here

http://www.tolkientrail.com/entmoot/...3618#post43618

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 02-19-2002 at 06:57 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:57 AM   #54
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

\PS

Sakata loved your portraits on the tolkien trail.

You are an exceptional artist.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-19-2002, 07:13 PM   #55
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Thank you for finding that for us Afro but I have to say this and then I'll drop it. I COULD NOT,WILL NOT and CANNOT let comments like that about my GOD and my FAITH go past me like it's nothing. Now that I have my say I will go back to the thread you have given me
Thank you once again
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 02-20-2002, 05:40 PM   #56
Asilynn
Hobbit

I think it would be WAY scarier if Dreamworks made LotR.

Did anyone see Antz? How about The Road to Eldorado? That was a sick movie....the only way they could rate it PG was if they toned the 'love scene' like WAY down

Asilynn

Not all that glitters is gold.
Asilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 08:54 AM   #57
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

No problem sam.

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-21-2002, 01:12 PM   #58
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Hey what if Francis Ford Copolla did LotR
I can see it now....

THe Godfather of the RIng...
Gandalf (scratching his chin): eh..ya know, Frodo, the boss... he don't like that you got this.... ehh, ring... He said... eh,....he said he's gonna send 'em after you.... ya know.... they wanna plug you... I think you betta get outa hea.

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 04:21 AM   #59
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
Thank you for finding that for us Afro but I have to say this and then I'll drop it. I COULD NOT,WILL NOT and CANNOT let comments like that about my GOD and my FAITH go past me like it's nothing. Now that I have my say I will go back to the thread you have given me
Thank you once again
Sam
Well, I was just taking it from the context that "Prince of Egypt" would probably have gotten more complaints if they had made the God to be a nice god that magically made all the little Israelites and Egyptians make up and dance together after declaring peace and everlasting friendship. If they kept him as the god looking out for his chosen people and smiting everyone else, then they would be much truer to the book, and that's generally considered a good thing by purists. (If some people consider that behaviour cruel, it's an opinion. *shrug) I usually side more towards the purists myself. I don't like too much distortion of a story from the source material if it can at all be helped because it's usually made more lame if it's changed. Some people just can't make convincing revisions. For example, if you take out the 10 plagues of Egypt, how can you explain why the Israelites get released? The story has a harder time making sense. So if they kept in the "unpleasant" stuff, good for them! That takes guts.

BTW, Don't watch the cartoon Anastasia. Watch the old version of the same title featuring Ingrid Bergman and Yul Brynner. It's much more interesting, and (dare I say?) intelligent. Of course, at that time, they didn't know whether Anna Korya (sp?)was the real thing or not, so it affects the story.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 07:40 AM   #60
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

I;m sorry if I offended you Sam...or anyone else...I didn't mean that God was cruel!!! I just thought that that movie was horrible and it scared the bejeezers outta me!!!