Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2003, 03:02 PM   #41
azalea
Long lost mooter

Except that he was always running off with his buddies to that d*mn Forbidden Pool.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:45 PM   #42
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Except that he was always running off with his buddies to that d*mn Forbidden Pool.
Heh.

We all think Faramir is perfect, because, in the books, he has the wit to let Frodo go, instead of claiming the Ring for himself.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:11 AM   #43
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

And he was described as wise in lore, and though a strong and valiant fighter he did not love war for its own sake. Frodo noticed his nobility, an inheritance from Numenor. Through the chapters from Minas Tirith it is clear that he is highly praised and beloved by all people.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:53 PM   #44
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Yeah, it seems that everybody loves Faramir.
I can only remember one exception: his own father Denethor
Old 01-29-2003, 02:00 PM   #45
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I think Denethor loved both his sons dearly, but his mind was crooked by Sauron's power and he was devastated by the loss of Boromir.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:06 PM   #46
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Somewhere I've read that the names Faramir and Boromir can be translated and they have a special meaning. I don't know the exact meaning but it was something like
Boromir - beloved son
Faramir - not beloved son
(it were not these words, but something like that).
Old 01-29-2003, 05:57 PM   #47
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

This is what I found in the Encyclopedia of Arda:
The -mir ending of Faramir's name is almost certainly 'jewel' or 'precious thing', but Fara- is much more difficult to translate. The Elvish root far- means 'sufficient' or 'adequate', so it may be that the brothers Boromir and Faramir have names related to their father's attitude toward them. As Denethor's favourite son, Boromir was perhaps the 'faithful jewel', while the less favoured Faramir was merely the 'sufficient jewel'. These speculations, of course, belong to the realm of guesswork, since Tolkien makes no definitive statement about the names' origins.

I wonder, would Pippin had named his son Faramir if he knew the exact etymoligical meaning of the name?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Somewhere I've read that the names Faramir and Boromir can be translated and they have a special meaning. I don't know the exact meaning but it was something like
Boromir - beloved son
Faramir - not beloved son
(it were not these words, but something like that).
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 01-31-2003 at 03:10 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:50 PM   #48
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

That's what I was talking of. Is the name of Pippins son Faramir? I didn't remember that.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:00 AM   #49
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I have often wondered more about their life together than their death. Do you think they were happy together? Faramir was such a perfect Man, you would expect his marriage to be perfect also. But Eowyn, do you think she was really content with a quiet life in Ithilien? Somehow I doubt it.
Why? Who could not be happy in Ithilien?

Éowyn had seldom been happy all her life, after all, what with her parents dying young and having to watch Théoden's decline and then that nasty GrÃ*ma's eying her all the time. Yech. Also, she'd "gotten it out of her system" in a powerful way, with the assistance of Merry slaying the Witch-King of Angmar himself. I think she was delighted to have peace, a home, a family, a beautiful and secure and peaceful land and yet with access to Rohan, where she was sister of the King, any time. Nice! She probably ended up as the gardening editor for Southern Living.

And Faramir, the loving son of harsh Denethor and adoring younger brother of big Boromir, was pliable, too, I'll bet. There's this one section where they're talking, and Éowyn gets a little imperious (forget the exact words, something along the lines of "let's not play games here!"). Reading that, I thought, Faramir's going to love her. She would have gotten her way all the time in Ithilien. Yet Faramir would also have worked around her as gently and persistently as he did with Frodo.

Now there's another good book waiting to be written!
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:01 PM   #50
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

A book about Faramir and Eowyn?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:13 PM   #51
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
That would be very nice indeed. To bad Tolkien is not around so that he can write the book. I wouldn't trust that his son Christopher could write it in a satisfying way...
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:56 AM   #52
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Every day I'm thinking of the fact what great stories Tolkien could have wrote if he only lived longer. Everything would be clearer now and there would maybe even more stories. Wow. That would have been great, but now, that he's dead, we can only dream of have more books.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:22 AM   #53
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Just in time for Valentine's Day. Any speed-writers out there?
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
Old 02-04-2003, 10:44 AM   #54
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Just in time for Valentine's Day. Any speed-writers out there?
I wrote a poem about the two of them last month.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:03 PM   #55
Narsil's Master
Elven Warrior

I should think they will die at the same time do to the fact they are now of the same race

well your on fire now. go team fencing!!!!

fingolfin rox elven sox
Narsil's Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:29 PM   #56
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I wrote a poem about the two of them last month.
Would you share it with us?
Buddha
Old 02-05-2003, 07:18 AM   #57
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Would you share it with us?
Shall I? It's pretty long and I'm not quite sure if it is that good.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:47 AM   #58
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Shall I? It's pretty long and I'm not quite sure if it is that good.
That's OK. We're not professional critics, either, just fellow fans of E and F.

But there may be another part of the Trail or even of the Moot devoted to works of the Mooters -- seems I saw something about that at the home page once. If so, maybe you would feel more comfortable posting it there? (If so, let us know, so we can check it out!)
Buddha
Old 02-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #59
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I'll see where I post it and then I'll announce it. Hahaha.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:55 PM   #60
Diamond
Hobbit

I have just come to the conclusion that Denethor had issues. Huge, massive issues. That is all.

Quote:
But Eowyn, do you think she was really content with a quiet life in Ithilien? Somehow I doubt it.
She might have gotten fidgety at some points, especially early in the marriage while she was still younger. But, all she would have to do it look at Faramir and feel content. (Ahem, yes, sappy, helpless romantic coming through.)

And, do post the poem! I'd like to see it!

Di
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote