Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 03:08 AM   #41
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

A hearty welcome to the 'Moot, Nazgul Queen, and no one will call you a freak here....feel free to quote at your leisure!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:46 AM   #42
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Strider

Aha! The Tomes of Power are stirring their secrets unto the common folk.

It will be less than a year before they shall have converted many into the fold. Wraiths such as we they shall become....

Long Live Tolkien's "Nazgara"!

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 09:06 AM   #43
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Why do people think I'm mad just because I can quote slmost the entire first book of LOTR, some important bits from the second and third and almost all of the hobbit? They're just jealous cos they can't. I must admit that it's a lot easier to insult somebody in Sindarin or Quenya because they don't understand you and don't attack you back, unfortunately nobody else understands either so the joke's lost.
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:10 PM   #44
athelas
Enting

Argghhh...Im absolutely seething with rage. First my computer spoils and the entire Cdrive has to be cleaned out,(im using a laptop with a really slow connection)then this airheaded, cheerleader-wannabe came and dissed LotR in my face! And she hasn't even read it!!! She said, " You like LotR? I think it's stupid." May Eru help her see the light. After all she reads only SVH,Japanese comics and the like.
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:09 PM   #45
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

LOL, athelas, just take it with a grain of salt. The fact that a Sailor Moon-addled adolescent put down the Lord of the Rings just demonstrates her lack of comprehension. Rest assured in the knowledge that she is simply out of her depth when attempting to destroy that which she cannot understand, and that her third-grade reading level proihibits her from moving to true literature and past the limits of the "Graphic Novel".

[No, Mooters, you who love Sailor Moon OR "comic books" as well as LotR, you do NOT fall into the above-described category! You simply have broad horizons and varied interests...]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:01 AM   #46
Ace
Hobbit

Gandalf

Let us bring the tired masses to our door, let us embrace ignorant cheerleaders as well as those who have only seen the movie. We shall show them the power of the ring, as it is a gift, (my precioussss), my birthday present. *smacks myself*
This damn obsession must end! Anyway, the highest level of Tolkien comprehension is not for everyone. But as we are the philosopher Kings of Tolkien knowledge, it is our duty to impart said knowledge where it is sought, and hold our tongues, allowing the ignorant to live in bliss.
I am the firestarter, he who has started this awesome thread, this thread is igniting our collective conscience, and with the help of the only medium the fools understand, cinema, we shall bring disciples to our midsts!

"If the choice be mine, I say, we march!"
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 07:02 AM   #47
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yay! People who understand my obsession with Tolkien and Lord of the Rings, and even people who have the same issues as I do with the obnoxious nonfan peoples!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 10:01 AM   #48
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Just had a heated debate about the film, I feel great!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 12:11 PM   #49
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I thing the coolest thing are the people who I addict to the books via the film. It's quite entertaining.
markedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:58 AM   #50
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

Quote:
Originally posted by fireworks19
OOoooh, I like you guys. So much like me!

I had a friend who used to write things in Sindar...I still have 'Arwen' written down and all pretty....CAUSE I USED TO BE THE ARWEN AROUND HERE!

Hee.
heehee i stole ur name:P oh well u could come back as ArwenUndomiel if you were desparate
Old 01-27-2002, 11:47 AM   #51
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Eh, all my friends think I talk waaayyy too much about LOTR. I mean, Mr. Henderson is the only cool person I know of so far who absolutely loves Tolkien's works and loves talking about them. He caught me reading FOTR during the last ten minutes in the class, and instead of getting mad because I wasn't working on the map project, he started talking about what happened in the next book (I was on the last chapter). Secretly, I already knew...but I didn't say anything. Or then, I probably would've got in trouble Heh heh heh...

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 01-27-2002 at 07:43 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:33 PM   #52
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yay! I've almost converted two more innocent people into crazed Tolkien freaks! Rejoice, rejoice!

Hmmmm, I like anime. I would be cool to have an anime version of LotR.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:00 PM   #53
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Nah, FrodoFriend, an anime version of LotR would be terrible! Galadriel would look like [and talk like! shudder] Sailor Moon, Go Ku would replace Aragorn and take up five minutes on Weathertop groaning and screaming while he powered up, and the Nazgul would come swooping down on Gundams! Nah, let's not get the Japanese involved in this....Godzilla vs. Gamera vs. Sauron, anyone?
Old 01-29-2002, 02:26 AM   #54
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

You obviously have not seen any quality anime. I'm not talkin' DragonballZ or Sailor Moon. I mean Rurouni Kenshin or something like that. Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I HAVE seen Kenshin clips, and the anime is really cool. Kenshin + LotR = WOOHOO!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 01-30-2002, 07:11 AM   #55
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

you guys should go to hong kong or to singapore. Man, it was like being in a live action version of an anime episode. The buildings, the chinese characters, the outfits, the hairstyles...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 01-30-2002, 10:53 PM   #56
sepulchrave
Enting

hi everyone...
I am posting to encourage you all. It seems as though the majority of you are considerably younger than myself, and from what I remember, adolescence and the school scene was particularly difficult. All that pressure both to succeed socially and academically, in a cauldron of seething emotional upheaval (not to mention the hormones!). Remember that whoever sticks their head up above the crowd will likely be targetted by some for ridicule or abuse of some kind. There's always a few no-minds who enjoy treating their fellows who have a love for learning and literature with contempt. One does not have to behave like Beavis or Butthead (It pains me to even type the name!) in order to be accepted, and those who love the finer things should be proud! The ignorant, bigoted and blind are always around, sneering at everything that seems worthwhile or pure. Leave them to their swill troughs, and walk on with head held high!
Those individuals will fade away, and their opinions will not be valued by anyone with any sense in the adult world. Be not ashamed! A couple of pieces of advice: FIRST: As I approach forty, it is becoming quite clear that I care not a fig for the opinions of any but those I love, and who love me. I wasted so much valuable time during my school years seeking the approval of idiots. Does it really matter that Joe Putz thinks I'm a dweeb for liking Tolkien, or for that matter, anything else? The answer is, of course, no. SECOND: school will eventually end, and nearly ninety percent of the people that you once thought were Oh so cool, will turn out to be losers. Joe Putz, who got all the babes and made the football team every time, will be seen working as a janitor at the local Arbys on the night shift. Of course he didn't pay enough attention in English class, and has trouble reading the employment ads, let alone the Lord of the Rings.THIRD, although it seems as though you should have lots of friends in order to be a "Success" socially, this is a falsehood. Choose your friends wisely! You will, in all likelihood, only have a few REALLY good ones, people of quality who can be relied on in tough times, and be trusted to not betray you. Fair weather friends are no friends at all. FOURTH, Don't throw your pearls before swine! keep the things that you love safe! share your passions with your closest allies, not the Goombas that will abuse you!, FIFTH, and most important, don't sell out and become one of them. Stick to your guns, stay the course, and ignore them. IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!!!
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 11:01 PM   #57
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Well said. Luckily, I'm one of the few that doesn't care TOO MUCH (perhaps a fig) about what her idiotic classmates think of her, AND my hormones aren't so out of control
Old 01-30-2002, 11:26 PM   #58
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Thanks, sepulchrave!

It's nice to know that there are some adults out there not only still remember being kids, but also have some advice and respect for us!

High school SUCKS!! But at least most of my friends don't mind when I bring the LotR soundtrack to school, then listen to it at lunch while quoting the lines along with it and acting out scenes from the movie.

Old 01-30-2002, 11:27 PM   #59
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

...actually, I DO CARE....but I like to see how they'd react. That way, I find out whom I'd find more interesting to be friends with...I've even been able to convert a few non-readers and found new friends who used to be just mere acquaintances.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 01-30-2002 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:42 AM   #60
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

Im sorry everyone out ther but im a huge LotR fan but really some people do go to far. You must wonder if they do have a life.
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote