Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2003, 12:41 PM   #41
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Glimdrell smiled respectively at Fimbren. "That would have been a honorable end, but I do believe there is another way."

A sudden click in the lock produced a satisfying grin on Glimdrells face. "Wait here..." He whispered to the others.

Glimdrell opened the celldoor quietly, closed it behind him, and with a sudden leap against the wall opposite to the cell he dissapeared up into the darkness of the ceiling.

"Hello my dear servants!" a sudden bark echoed down the slim cell corridors. The aching sound of club against metallbars rang as he approached the cell. A huge man, both in height and width towered before the jailed fellowship. He was clad in battered leather, and the smell he produced witnessed of a bad hygeen. His head was bald, his eyes were cold and his grin was wide.

"How are we today, pittifull beasts?" He spat. His large hands took a good hold of each one's metalbar and clenched till his knockles whitened. How much he'd like to beat them up, torture them! But his orders had told him otherwise, and he did not dare to go agenst his masters, even he wasn't that stupid. He kicked a devestating kick into the bars, causing it to bend, causing the unlocked celldoor to swing up.

"What the...?"

A shadow suddenly cought his attention in the corner of his eye, but it was allready too late, the daggerblade was tightening on his throat. He ended his sentence there, only gaping in terror of the unexpected attacker. A sudden twist of the blade cought Glistenfae's attention, she remembered how she once had suffered that same move. But this time she watched in total awe, the hatred she had felt ever since that happening was all gone. The hilt of the dagger crashed against the back of the jailors head, and he fell limply to the floor.

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 04-24-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Arat-Falathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:39 PM   #42
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

Shadow crept through the halls of the castle. He knew no fear of discovery - he could fade to mere darkness with a thought. He was designed to be a being of stealth - his being was, indeed, an antithesis of normal magic. A shadow to the eyes, to the mind, to the soul - he had no fear of being spotted.

He strolled through the walls, partaking of the different conversations - acquanting himself with the nuances of the Enedwaith politics. What little remained of them, that is, after the Shadowhands meddling.

He was here to investigate, and nothing more. An eye on the heroes, if Dagankor hadn't already killed them. An eye on Dagankor himself, regardless.

Shadow chuckled. This promised to be fun.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:36 PM   #43
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"My soldiers," Athalt answered Imarwyn with a smile. "We are heroes here, or at least we were heroes until recently. I will be permitted to bring my men into the citadel, and I needn't ask permission to get them access. What we do with them after getting them in still needs to be discussed, though. I need Elise in order to rescue Vahatres; separating him from Dagankor or killing Dagankor are unlikely to succeed in breaking the spell on his mind. There's a risk that in killing Dagankor, we kill Vahatres as well. That would throw the kingdom into turmoil and possibly bring the Shadowhand complete direct control. They have enough military and political sway in the kingdom now to do that, I'd imagine."

"Why haven't they done that already, then?" Tareod asked.

Athalt didn't hesitate. "Because they- oh!"

"What?"

His eyes had widened in realization. Athalt turned to Imarwyn and Tareod, a look of horror crossing his face. "Because they needed him to dissolve the council and bring all power to a central authority. Now they have the central authority, but with Vahatres gone, central authority will disappear. They will be the last solid power in the land, and will be able to engage complete, legal military rulership of the kingdom."

"Then there is nothing stopping them from killing the king now?" Imarwyn asked, standing up.

"Nothing," Athalt said. "Nothing except lacking a scapegoat. Thank goodness that company is in prison, otherwise it takes little guessing what use Dagankor will put them to next . . ."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 11:38 PM   #44
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"Aasinav?"

Aasinav looked up as Dagankor's face appeared in his fireplace, the sorcerer's dark eyes burrowing into his own at once. Aasinav smiled coolly in greeting, his face revealing nothing.

"Your shadow, Aasinav," Dagankor said. "I need it."
Old 04-24-2003, 11:46 PM   #45
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"So one of us must get to the king, and protect his life," Athalt said, instantly looking at Tareod. "I realize that it would be near impossible for any of us to accomplish this goal, and Dagankor is hardly likely to let the king out of his sight until he chooses a suitable assassin. But I must bring in my soldiers. Perhaps by myself I will be able to get Elise out of the prisons, at the same time as a strike takes place on the king. If we can seize him and escape with him, proceeding from there to get Elise in contact with him, we might succeed in countering Dagankor.

"But Tareod, I need you to watch the king as closely as you can and protect him."

"Yes, I see the need," Tareod said at once. "But how?"

"Pretend to be an ambassador from King Eomer, to discuss a possible alliance," Athalt said with a smile. "Make stuff up; it doesn't have to be for long.

"Meanwhile, I will get my troops in here and put them into strategic positions to assume temporary hold of the parts of the citadel we need."
Old 04-24-2003, 11:52 PM   #46
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"We need to reach the king as soon as we can," Hruad said as he stepped over the unconscious jailor. "Too many of the people here are Shadowhand soldiers. But we need to also get our weapons. I think I could find the way to Dagankor's quarters, and that's where they have a good chance of being at."

Glimdrell nodded. "Good. I'll go with you."

"The rest of you need to find a safe place to hide yourselves," Hruad said. "Bril, you know the citadel. Find them a place with someone you can trust, while we procur the weapons. But try to make it close; we need to be able to save the king soon. Everything depends on speed."

"You two," Dagankor commanded, looking at two of the sixteen guards at the prison entrance. "You will remain in position here, guarding the jails. The rest of you, go and reinforce the soldiers guarding the citadel gates. Increase security and beware of whom you let through.

"In the light of the recent assassination attempt that was made on King Vahatres' life, people will consider these precautions good and sensible. But you really must look carefully; don't let too many men in whom we don't know."
Old 04-25-2003, 07:57 AM   #47
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Assar and Gil pulled the jailor into the cell, took his keys and locked the door, they cought quickly up with Bril and the others.

Glimdrell walked stealthily a few feet in front of Hruad, tuning all his sences, bringing forth the cunning of his skills. He walked oblivious to his pace, instinct working for the mere reason of performing to the maximum.

He reached the dungeon door. He signaled for Hruad to freeze. Glimdrell brought his ear up close with the wooden door.

"You two!" A commanding voice broke through the door. "You will remain in position here, guarding the jails. The rest of you, go and reinforce the soldiers guarding the citadel gates."

Glimdrell produced a wide grin, fortune was with them. He walked silently over to Hruad. "Only two guards guarding the entrance, but we need to get to them before they cry out for reinforcements." Glimdrell whispered. "Any ideas?"
Old 04-25-2003, 11:05 AM   #48
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Fimbren pulled his black hood close about his bright face. He rushed up out of the dungeons after Glimdrell.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:05 AM   #49
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Hruad shook his head. "No, just do the best you can."

Suddenly another elf had joined them, and he started in surprise. "Fimbren. Could you do anything to help us with these two?"

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-26-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:54 AM   #50
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

"Who two?!" Fimbren shot back as he stopped abruptly right behind Glimdrell. "There are two guards at the door. We need to take them out, or at least pass them, without them alerting the whole citadel."

"Hmm..." Fimbren looked around, his eyes setteling on Assar and Gil who pulled the big jailor into the jail. "Think any of you could feign a voice similar to that jailor?"

Glimdrell smiled. "I understand your idea! But I'm afraid I have no chance in making such a harsh voice, few elves can..." His eyes settled on Hruad. "I don't suppose you could give it a try? You would be the best suited of us all, and the voice only need to be similar. I could only discern the words they were saying through that door, making out other then basic characteristics of the voices was difficult!"

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 04-26-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #51
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Imarwyn looked with some amusement at her brother. "Well, well... who would have thought you'd make it to ambassador. Mother would have been so proud."

Tareod shot her a glance.

"In any case," Imarwyn continued again serious, "You'd better get started. It's not entirely impossible that Dagankor will use the current confusion to rid himself of Vahatres. How quickly can you get your soldiers ready, Athalt?"
Old 04-26-2003, 05:32 PM   #52
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"Not longer than an hour," Athalt answered. "I'll get to it at once.

"You want to come with me?" he asked Imarwyn. "Or stay here and help in your own way?"

Hruad looked doubtful, but Bril slapped him on the back heartily. "Go for it, my friend! And don't worry if you do badly; we can always overwhelm them by sheer numbers."

Hruad rolled his eyes and walked over to the door, clumsily, stomping occasionally. "Open up!" he barked gruffly.

"Already?" asked one of the guards in amusement. "Too bad they weren't in separate cells like they are back at the castle we came from. Bet you don't like the rules they have here about treatment of prisoners."

"Don't be stupid!" Hruad growled back. "One of the prisoners . . . there's some trouble, you aughta come see. Now!"

"What's wrong?" the guard asked, but the door swung open and he stepped inside. Hruad and Fimbren were on him in a moment, and Glimdrell silkily leapt through the door, catching the other guard around the throat.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:02 AM   #53
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

A second later both guards were in sweet dreams, and they placed the guards in a cell. The swords of the guards was given to Fimbren and Entai, they had no weapons to recollect from Dagankor's quarters.

"Hmm..." Fimbren shot in a second time. "Perhaps those guardian clothes could come to use?" He cocked an eye on Glimdrell and Hruad. "Perhaps those would make your way to the lost weapons easier?"

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 04-27-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:32 AM   #54
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Hruad looked very doubtful. "I've never handled a blade in my life."

"Hopefully you won't have to," Fimbren said with a grin.

"How will you come? And aside from my knowledge of the citadel's layout, I don't think I'd be much use on a mission like this."

"You forget what the mission is," Fimbren said as he grabbed onto one of the guards and slung him over his shoulder, moving back into the dungeon.

Glimdrell already was grabbing the other guard and dragging him in.

"I suppose I'll be the fat jailor," Hruad said with a small grin.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-27-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:07 PM   #55
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Glimdrell chuckled heartedly. "I'm not going to put you through that torture of wreckless and stinking aromas against your own will, but yes. It is quite obviously, Hruad. Try not to take it too personal tough." A light giggle left Glimdrells mouth as Hruad turned on him, an ironic grin covering his lips.

"I lost several pounds on the trip to the Barrow Downs!" Hruad shot back. "I don't doubt your claim. Yet you'd fit better into the jailors clothes than any of us," Glimdrell said with a glee, his smile going from eartip to eartip. "Bah!" Hruad barked, silent chuckles surrounding him.

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 04-27-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:36 PM   #56
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"I will remain here." said Imarwyn with a pat on Tareod's shoulder, "In case something still goes wrong with our ambassador's mission I'll be of more use here. Nobody seems to mind my presence here, most of them remember I entered Néred with your company. They won't stop me."
Old 04-27-2003, 01:43 PM   #57
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

They had finished moving the men into the dungeons, now. Choosing an empty one, the three of them opened the doors and dragged the unconscious soldiers and dead jailor inside.

Their changing clothes didn't take long.

"Once upon a time, I smelled normal," Hruad said morosely as he stepped out of the prison.

Glimdrell laughed again, and leaning closer, sniffed Hruad a little. "I notice no difference from your ordinary smell."

Hruad aimed a kick at the elf and it caught him in the leg, but he stumbled a moment later over the baggy ends of the trousers.

"At least they're not orc clothes," Fimbren said encouragingly.

"Besides!" Glimdrell continued, "they suit you! Don't worry about your appearance!"

Hruad tried to scowl, but laughs kept bubbling out of the corners of his mouth. They'd had precious little to laugh about during their journey; this was a small relief from the tensions that had held of late. But not a complete release. In the back of Hruad's mind was still the nagging feeling that he'd forgotten something. He knew the likelihood of their mission's succeeding was slim.

As they left the prison level again, they were surprised to encounter the rest of the company waiting for them in the passage.

"What are you doing out here?" Glimdrell hissed.

"The prisons is no place for us to wait," Bril said. "I can take us to an unoccupied cellar; you know where the cellars are, Hruad."

"No, I don't."

"Well, it's down a staircase in the room behind the room through that wall," Bril answered, pointing to his right. "I suppose you don't drink enough wine; go to more parties, when this is over."

"Why do you plan to wait there?"

"Because," Bril said patiently, "if anyone comes down here and finds the prison unguarded and the doors open; any change of shift at all, and our cell will be checked. They'll lock us up at once, or kill us. We'd be at a disadvantage, while in the cellars at least we're not in their hands from the outset."

A man in a green shirt with white pants stepped through the door and his eyes widened in shock as he saw them. "What . . .?"

Fimbren ran up to him and slammed the man's head against the wall.

"You get my point?" Bril asked, walking past Hruad up to the door. Fimbren through the man in, and Bril closed the door, hard.

"I understand," Hruad said. "Be careful, and fight as few people as you can manage."

"We will," he said with a roguish grin.

Hruad gave him one final piercing look, and then headed off through the doorway, Fimbren and Glimdrell behind him.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:45 PM   #58
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"Right," Athalt said with a nod. He glanced from one to the other of them once more, and then left them.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:32 PM   #59
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Glimdrell felt little comfortable in the new clothing he had dressed himself in, but he understood that it was for the best cause. Hopefully noone would recognize them for whom they really were. Again the reminder of the vulnerability he would face if they were spotted and had to fight their way out in a melee.

*just realized I have no clue of how to spell wournability...?...?...?*

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 05-02-2003 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:04 PM   #60
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

*I don't know what you mean by wournabilitly. It's not an English word.*

Hruad led them quickly through five passages, up a flight of stairs and then out into the upper parts of the citadel. The numbers of people here were greater, the number of courtiers and now aimless representatives. The number of soldiers up here was less, but Hruad looked more concerned.

"I know some of these people," he muttered irritably, under his breath. "If they think to look twice at a Shadowhand jailor, we're in trouble. And we stand out in these clothes."

Fimbren felt the helmet that covered his ears gingerly with he hands, and Hruad led them at a swift pace away from the ground level halls. He mounted a staircase, and three Shadowhand guards at the top of it looked at them with intent suspicion. A jailor leading two soldiers? A jailor whose clothes didn't fit him, if they looked more closely.

"What are you doing up here?" one of them asked, stepping in the way.

"Get out of my way!" Hruad snapped, stopping just inches away from the man, and forcing him to take a step back, regardless of the fact that he was taller than Hruad by several inches. "I'm reporting to Dagankor's quarters, as he requested, giving him information on what we've been hearing in listening to the prisoners' conversation. You know, the recent prisoners. Now move!"

The soldier did, sullenly, and the other two seemed to be pretending they hadn't had anything to do with impeding them.

Hruad pushed his way past the man, elbowing him a little even though he wasn't in the way, and the man grunted, staring at him balefully as he passed. Glimdrell favored him with a wide grin, and the guard's expression took on an edge of confusion.

But then they were all three past them, and up in the hall, the same hall they'd been captured in before, outside the king's quarters.

"This way to Dagankor's room," Hruad said, hurrying them through the hall to the end of it. "There's a back entrance right this way."