Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-11-2002, 11:45 PM   #41
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

hummmmmmmmm. yes well, sorry if I insulted you Afro, I didn't mean to.

well for now any how I think I will back out.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:49 PM   #42
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Hey, no problem kid.

I've been grading papers all night and I'm a little grumpy.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-11-2002 at 11:51 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:56 PM   #43
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Ummm, may I suggest starting up another thread for the actual Rp?
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 12:01 AM   #44
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Yeah! That sounds cool.

You wanna start?

I'll PM hot wings and say its under Into the Barrow: the game.

we can use this one for questions etc if that is cool with everyone.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-12-2002 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:34 AM   #45
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

I think it would be best to let Hot Wings start it. I wouldnt feel right starting someone elses game.
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 05:31 AM   #46
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Hot wings posted this

Quote:
When you guys are ready, sttart posting.
So if you wanna start it seems cool.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-12-2002, 01:39 PM   #47
delchrys
Hobbit

Gandalf joining the game...

Hello, all. My name is Jason Dandy, i live in michigan at the present. i'm 28 (as of tomorrow), and was invited to check this out. i stupidly posted to the game thread as a character, but then i found this thread nad realized that i should have asked and stuff first. sorry about any confusion! (i didn't really DO anything in the Pony, so i don't think it should cause any real problems.)

in any event, i'd like to play a HUMAN (see, diversity!), apparent age 50, grey hair with auburn highlights, brown robe and cloak. no hat. no staff. not much memory, actually. carries a sword (longsword) of simple make and sharp edge, and an extremely slender walking staff.

name: beladryn. history--something happened to beladryn, boy, would he love to remember WHAT, and he lost a good portion of his memory as a result. He has found that he is skilled with his blade, and sometimes voices in the wind whisper secrets just out of earshot. secrets of a staff and a wizard named beladryn who once had great strength of will, until he lost himself...lost his memory. the name beladryn has been strong in his mind, so he assumes it is his name. he has used his blade in two encounters since...before, when he can't remember...both times when bandits tried to take what little money he had. a gem wrapped in silk rested securely under his belt, perhaps a clue to the mystery of his past. two days ago, beladryn awoke with a fright--his staff tip was glowing bright blue. It winked out almost as soon as he was fully awake, but beladryn remains convinced that the light had something to do with the words he could hear in his mind at night, just before sleep. the words were foreign, yet strangely familiar, just on the edge of recollection.

he has a room at the Pony, and is currently relaxing after having finished his supper, when the reunion of two elves becomes a point of interest .
delchrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:02 PM   #48
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

First I wanna state that Hot wings is the GM here. I’m only trying to assist.

From what I gather the idea is to keep the game TOLKIEN-LIKE. No fire ball spells, flying spells and instant healing etc. I think that we are aiming to the feel of the books NOT the movies. Magic here is subtle ( usually). Hot wings worded it best when he said minor wizard.

Also recall that the races are not balanced as in most game systems. Luckily all the Elves here are the “LESSER” kind.

If you have not read Tolkien in a while it might be a good idea OR PLEASE cruise the OLD threads on the LOTR,ME, HOBBIT and SIL threads.

This link might
helphttp://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/relipper/tolkien/rootpage.html

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-12-2002, 07:03 PM   #49
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

CHARACTERS

WE are in the time period of the TWO TOWERS

1)AFRO-ELF = MALATHOR
As can be seen form my moniker I wish to play a brown skinned Elf. However, I like to stay relatively close to the works of Tolkien.

With some help from this board, I've come up with the Sindarian name Baravair. It is Sindarian for Brown Avari. Basically, since this group of Elves is the most varied and unexplored group of Elves, it seemed the easiest to place them here.

His Sindarian name is Malathor ( golden eagle)

As a plot background I'll say that he is a very young Elf perhaps 119. He is imdued with wanderlust. However, it is a dangerous world and Malathor is a highly skilled warrior, outdoorsman and healer*( see below). While not a loremaster per se is fairly well versed in lore of many kinds. Born in Nothern Mirkwood he was one of the companions of Legolas, when the kings son went to Rivendell. While Legolas accompanied the Fellowship, and the other Elves of Mirkwood returned home, Malathor traveled west with Galdor, Cirdan's representitive to the council of Elrond. After spending time at the Grey Havens, he joined one of the Wandering companies heading east and has decided to stay in Bree for a few days to gather information before heading back to Rivendell to decide what course of action he should take next.

Being bred in Mirkwood he is proficent with a bow. But, also uses two swords. ( There seems to be a trend here) They are longer than the Roman Gladus but shorter than long swords. Their hilts are longer and heavier than most, due to the fact they are forged in a way "catch" a weapon.

Malathor's phyiscal description:

Like all Elven kind he is tall and handsome. He has rich earth brown skin which is contrasted by golden eyes. His hair is thick and long ( like a mulatto person), which is usually pulled back into a long braid.

He wears a quiver/backpack and has slits in his cloak for the straps to pass through.

My bow has two catches on the side, so it can be firmly attached to my quiver/backpack.

His armor is hardened leather. Did you see the ORIGINAL Heavy metal movie?

Go to this link here to see

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/ani...tarnaarmor.html

The differences being that my greaves are on both arms and extend to cover my lower arms.

AND , she is in a bikini and I'm in a breast plate covering my clothes, which are dark.

On the outside of, the inside the of my gloves are pieces of metal to protect my hands if I ever has to grab my sword in a two handed block or to grab another blade. I've thigh greaves also.
and a piece of metal down the front and interior my boots.

2)LEGOLAS = Hawair
My race: Mirkwood elf, who LOVES poetry, music, wilderness is a good traveler and imaginative.
My fav weapon is a Lorien bow. I don't have it, so I use a Mirkwood bow, which is just like the Lorien one, only a little bit less powerful. When my arrow-case is empty, I take my two deadly daggers.

Hawair, as well as Malathor, was a friend to Legolas. They all travelled to Rivendell, and, when Legolas parted with the Fellowship, Hawair went to visit Bree, about which he heard many good things. He was pleased to meet Malathor there.

Physical description:
tall, bright-skinned, long hair (just like Legolas's in the film). He has green eyes, a short eaglish nose, pointed ears (of course) and a small mouth, as well as thin cheek.

A bit more:
he likes literature, poetry, music, wilderness, etc etc. He isn't a brute guy, but when it comes to killing, he is great. Skilled with a bow, can shoot a flying eagle Uses daggers, with whom is lethally precise. But, as said before, he doesn't like fights. He always tries to solve matters diplomatically, except the matters with Orcs.

3)Nariel Starshine = NARIEL (LINSUL)

My character is called Nariel (Which in Sindarin means Starshine)
She is an elf (there's a lot of us around here). When in need of a pseudonym, she goes by Linsul (Windsong in Sindarin). I'll probably start out in the story giving this name, and if any character gets to know her better, I'll reveal her real name.

She grew up in Rhovanion (Esgaroth) and lived a slow (2000-year) life. She remembers a lot, but she's never left Rhovanion. . After a long time, she began to get tired of this. So she left to wander the woods. She became quite proficient with a bow (she's really really really good) and lethal with daggers (especially when throwing them). These are her weapons of choice, though she prefers the bow.

After wandering in the woods for a few decades, she came to cross the Misty Mountains and showed up in Rivendell, where everyone was so tense, that she had to leave.

So she went to Bree in search of an Adventure.

Appearance: red/brown long straight hair, bright keen green eyes, about 6'1", and tanned skin (but not brown-skinned).
4) Lysander = LYSANDER
To be different, I would like to play a Man, in his early to mid thirties, named Lysander. He is skilled with the sword. If necessity requires, he can handle a bow, but only with moderate skill -- it is with a sword in his hand that he feels truly comfortable in battle.

5)RENILLE = Nibenel

I think I'll join too. I'm uncertain of a name as of yet, but I have the whole character in my head.She is of the race of man, but a young woman actually. She is in her early twenties. She has long black hair (rarely ever in any other style than loose) and clear green eyes. She is thin but short...around 5'. She is extremely intellectual and intelligent, loving books more than in fighting. But she is also an excellent guide and is well versed in the healing arts as well. If she is forced to fight, she uses bow and arrows. Normally, she lives in Gondor, but she recently had to guide someone back to Bree. She remains there for only the night. Of family history...all her family are Gondorians, humble craftsmen turned to soldiers in these dark ages.
6) Feraway Hawkbriar = Feraway Hawkbriar
Basic stats//

Name: Feraway Hawkbriar
Height: 4'10
Race: 1/2hobbit 1/2human

My charecters name is Feraway Hawkbriar. She is half Fallohide strain hobbit from her father's side. Her father was 4 foot nothing. Her mother, just under 5 feet (she had been sick as a child so she never did grow as she should have) Feraway was born and raised in Bree. She still lives there.

Feraway was 12 when her mother died and so her father continued raising her as best he could.

She is an odd child indeed, standing 4'10, extremly tall by hobbit standards and very very short by man's. The hair on her head is of a dark blond color and rather than being curly is instead very wavey. Her legs and feet do not sport the thick hair of her fathers kin. Her feet are much smaller, and only half as tough as the average hobbit's so she often wears leather boots when traveling about the countryside especially in winter. Her ears are pointed and are little different than any other hobbit's.

Feraway is very inquisitive and active, she often wanders out of home range for days at a time. Through trial and error she has learned quite alot about surviving the wilds. She never travels alone however and always brings along her very VERY large, grey, long-ish haired dog named Leaf. He is her closest companion and is very protective. Standing 3 foot at the shoulder, he is indeed a fine gaurd dog.

Because of her nearly constant traveling, she does not often wear dresses or the like. Instead she is often seen wearing rather male-ish clothing. A white shirt, longish Grey colored breeches a forest green cloak, a simple silver chain about her neck, a smaller one on her wrist(they were her mother's) and a leather belt about her waist are her usual garb.

Though generally very dependeble and freindly, Feraway has rather Hot temper, she is quik to anger (A trait thats cirtainly from her mothers side.) and if merited, slow to forgive. It is best not to anger her, because you'll never hear the end of it and you may fine somethng that bites in your boot or hat come morning. She can be quite the terror.

She carries but one weapon, a simple knife wich she always keeps sharp and at hand, should need for it arise.

When not out and about she can sometimes be seen at the Pony.

7) GRIFFIN=Kryden Imarin
Name: Kryden Imarin
Race: Human
Cast/Group/Occupation ( ): Ranger
Favorite Weapon: Long Bow and a Longsword

Kryden is a wandering Ranger. He is currently wander the Western Lands, and staying at Bree.

8) DELCHRYS =beladryn

in any event, i'd like to play a HUMAN (see, diversity!), apparent age 50, grey hair with auburn highlights, brown robe and cloak. no hat. no staff. not much memory, actually. carries a sword (longsword) of simple make and sharp edge, and an extremely slender walking staff.

name: beladryn. history--something happened to beladryn, boy, would he love to remember WHAT, and he lost a good portion of his memory as a result. He has found that he is skilled with his blade, and sometimes voices in the wind whisper secrets just out of earshot. secrets of a staff and a wizard named beladryn who once had great strength of will, until he lost himself...lost his memory. the name beladryn has been strong in his mind, so he assumes it is his name. he has used his blade in two encounters since...before, when he can't remember...both times when bandits tried to take what little money he had. a gem wrapped in silk rested securely under his belt, perhaps a clue to the mystery of his past. two days ago, beladryn awoke with a fright--his staff tip was glowing bright blue. It winked out almost as soon as he was fully awake, but beladryn remains convinced that the light had something to do with the words he could hear in his mind at night, just before sleep. the words were foreign, yet strangely familiar, just on the edge of recollection.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-12-2002, 07:05 PM   #50
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

MAYBE IF YOU SO DESIRE

Some of you can be members of the group hawair and malathor are talking to.

just a suggestion

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-13-2002, 12:02 AM   #51
delchrys
Hobbit

Gandalf languages

oh, i forgot to fulfill the (bizarre) requirement for this thread:
i am a native english speaker, a rusty fluent in russian, can get by okay in korean, know a little german, less french, and a very little chinese and japanese. woo hoo!
Old 01-15-2002, 05:04 PM   #52
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The word Quendi is what Elves call themselves it means "speakers "

Calaquendi means those Elves who lived in the Aman, The home of the "gods" across the western sea. ( and their descendants I believe)

Cala means light, so it Elves of the Light

They possessed greater powers than the Elves of Middle Earth.

Galadriel and Glorfindel are examples.

The Elves who never saw the light of the West are

moriquendi dark elves

Legolas and Celeborn are Moriquendi. ( at least at the time of the LOTR)

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-15-2002 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:06 PM   #53
Legolas
Elven Warrior

afro-elf, thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:24 PM   #54
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

If it's okay, instead of Linsul (since that name's used), I'll use Kalnarnen as an alias "Shining firewater". and by the way, Nariel finds that when she goes somewhere new, people accept her better if she's a guy. So when she enters, she'll have a cloak closed around her, so as her gender is indeterminable

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 04:31 PM   #55
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Nariel

PLease understand I'm not trying to flame you.

The written is easy to take the wrong way.

There are few things about your post I question.

1) I don't think it was stated that we were going up stairs.
2) The rooms adjacent to ours could be occupied.
3) I know you are an Elf and stealthy and all; however, do you think that it would be so easy to follow an experienced group, especially one with other Elves?
4) There are a couple of people who have not posted, who could have easily seen you follow.

This again is not a flame, but just some things I noticed.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-17-2002, 11:33 PM   #56
delchrys
Hobbit

i recommend posting two replies in one post, one if nariel is discovered, and one if she is not. in that way, we can continue to play without having to wait for hotwings. when hotwings posts a decision, we can simply continue with the option that matches his decision.

i also recommend the same process for all conflict situations, to avoid losing focus or cohesion.

thoughts?
Old 01-17-2002, 11:41 PM   #57
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I wholeheartedly concur.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-24-2002, 04:48 PM   #58
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Any suggestions on how to make the game faster?

Maybe we can have a time limit to how long you go between post.

If you will be away from your computer for awhile perhaps, inform someone and they can run your character while you are away.

Anything else?

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-24-2002, 05:06 PM   #59
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel Nariel Ordeal

Here's the deal. I had it planned out.

It was my luck that the room adjacent to yours was not occupied. If it had been, I would have stood outside the door (stupid, but hey). Also, I figured, if I had been found out, I would have had a long conversation with one of the elves explaining why I followed etc. and since I have been wandering for a century or so, I could provide you with useful information.

If I wasn't found, I would just follow the group on their little trip and eventually be discovered anyway.

A century wandering around gives me an advantage in stealth. I really don't think they would hear me at least. Maybe they could sense me or something.

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 06:28 PM   #60
delchrys
Hobbit

at the risk of plunging into a stereotypical "dungeons and dragons geek" debate, i will comment on the last post--

i don't care if you've wandered around a billion years--you can only get so good, and floorboards and doors will creak no matter who steps on them unless you know which ones to watch out for. you are limited by simple physics in your ability to be stealthy. as for the elves not hearing you, i can only say that elves are blessed with senses beyond the human ken, and that these senses include hearing.

to speak to the idea of wanting to sneak, i must say that it sure is a way to target yourself as shady and not very trustworthy, since most honorable types would make their presence known. a lot of characters in a lot of roleplaying games would not bother talking to a skulking shadow, they would rather shoot first and ask questions of the dead one's spirit. we would be within our rights, as a group, to deny your character our company, leaving you without the ability to be in the story. in fact, we'd be within our rights to murder your character and wear your face like a mask. you'll notice i said not one word about whether your choice was good or bad until you started to complain.

and let's not hear any tripe about how you "just want to play and have fun and why won't everyone just let you get away with any damned thing you want" because there are limits to sensibility. if i wanted to play one of the Eldars, or a battlemech, or sauron...well, i think the point is obvious--you can either choose a character well-suited to being part of a team, or you can choose one that acts counter to that end.

i'm not saying i don't like you, that i don't like your character, or that you shouldn't play. i'm just saying: "hey! stop whining! you were heard, big deal, you shouldn't have been trying to sneak up on a bunch of elves for no good reason anyways!"

lastly, the game-master is the game-master, end of the story. start questioning a game-master's decisions, and it's the beginning of the end of a game.

signed,

role-playing dork extrodinaire...