Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2003, 08:52 PM   #41
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Wasn't Oropher the father of Tranduil or am I completely wrong in this?
Yes... Amroth was the son of Amdir, aka Malgalad.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:55 PM   #42
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

yep, Amdir/Malgalad
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 03:01 AM   #43
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Amdir and Malgalad was the same person? Was he Sindarin or Silvan?
Old 02-25-2003, 09:43 AM   #44
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

But the Wood-elves never were fighters, they always didn't like to. (I think I remember this).
Old 02-25-2003, 10:19 AM   #45
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I think Amdir was Sindarin like Oropher, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, Amroth's father was usually called Amdir, but once Tolkien used the name Malgalad instead. Same person, different name.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 03:27 PM   #46
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
But the Wood-elves never were fighters, they always didn't like to. (I think I remember this).
They were very independent, living in Mirkwood in small bands. Although they had a king, there really wasn't much order to the ruling of them. And that was fine for the kings who ruled them who really just wanted a kick-back kind of life anyway.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:55 PM   #47
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel
I think Amdir was Sindarin like Oropher, but I'm not sure.
Yep, Sindarin, see the bit in UT about the Sindarin prices among the silvan elves. IIRC it is appended to the end of the cahpter on Galadriel and Celeborn.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:50 PM   #48
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

After that many names beeing written, who was the father of Amroth?
Old 02-26-2003, 08:26 PM   #49
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Amdir Malgalad
Old 02-27-2003, 02:39 PM   #50
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Amdir Malgalad
Thanks.

Do you think that Galadriel and Celeborn were made for each other? And when Celeborn left middle-earth did he go to Valinor or Tol Eressa? Where lived Galadriel then?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:31 PM   #51
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Thanks.

Do you think that Galadriel and Celeborn were made for each other? And when Celeborn left middle-earth did he go to Valinor or Tol Eressa? Where lived Galadriel then?
I can not imagine that they would have been parted beyond the sea. Galadriel already had lived in Valinor before the Doom of Mandos and the Oath of Feanor and the other Noldor. I don't remember if it says exactly where she went after she sailed but I always imagined her back in Valinor. As well, Celeborn later would have followed her there.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #52
Galin
Elven Warrior

Since the Elessar-jewel was brought up in this thread, I have a question concerning the first of the two tales (the two tales published in Unfinished Tales).

In the first tale it is Gandalf who brings the Elessar to Galadriel 'who dwelt now under the trees of Greenwood'. Galadriel sighs and says 'I grieve in Middle-earth, for leaves fall and flowers fade; and my heart yearns, remembering trees and grass that do not die. I would have these in my home'. According to Appendix B the Istari appear in Middle-earth in the Third Age and the Three Rings are hidden in Second Age 1693. Did not Galadriel possess Nenya long before Gandalf arrived? In the second version where she goes to Celebrimbor and basically says the same thing to him (as she had said to Gandalf), this is before she received Nenya, and in this tale it is noted that she basically felt she needed the Elessar no more after receiving her ring.

In reference to Galadriel receiving Nenya in the Second Age, in note nine to The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, CJRT comments that she cannot have made use of its powers until a much later time, after the loss of the Ruling Ring. But again she is here seemingly talking to Gandalf roughly one thousand or more years after Isildur took the One. That said, I think I am maybe missing something obvious. I realize this text could have been revised or even rejected by JRRT himself, but I was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts in any case, or could enlighten me.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #53
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I have always thought that the Three were hidden away by Celebrimbor and privately distributed to Galadriel, Elrond, and Cirdan sometime before 1697 S.A., when he was killed. They would not have been used before the Fall of Sauron in 3441 S.A. Even after that, I am sure they were first used cautiously and gingery until it was certain that they were (temporarily) free of the One.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #54
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Since the Elessar-jewel was brought up in this thread, I have a question concerning the first of the two tales (the two tales published in Unfinished Tales).

In the first tale it is Gandalf who brings the Elessar to Galadriel 'who dwelt now under the trees of Greenwood'. Galadriel sighs and says 'I grieve in Middle-earth, for leaves fall and flowers fade; and my heart yearns, remembering trees and grass that do not die. I would have these in my home'. According to Appendix B the Istari appear in Middle-earth in the Third Age and the Three Rings are hidden in Second Age 1693. Did not Galadriel possess Nenya long before Gandalf arrived? In the second version where she goes to Celebrimbor and basically says the same thing to him (as she had said to Gandalf), this is before she received Nenya, and in this tale it is noted that she basically felt she needed the Elessar no more after receiving her ring.

In reference to Galadriel receiving Nenya in the Second Age, in note nine to The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, CJRT comments that she cannot have made use of its powers until a much later time, after the loss of the Ruling Ring. But again she is here seemingly talking to Gandalf roughly one thousand or more years after Isildur took the One. That said, I think I am maybe missing something obvious. I realize this text could have been revised or even rejected by JRRT himself, but I was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts in any case, or could enlighten me.
You are right, Galin, the version with Gandalf seems inferior to the version with Celebrimbor.
In defense of this first version I can only say that Galadriel only seemed to use Nenya for creating a "paradise" after she had settled in Lorien after TA 1980. Before that she lived here and there, but there was no special enchanted enclave associated with her.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #55
Galin
Elven Warrior

So perhaps (judging from both responses so far) I should put emphasis on her using the Ring for preservation, and when -- not simply having the Ring -- meaning that even after 1,000 years of the Third Age she had not used it, and would only really do so after settling in Lothlorien?

The implication of the Gandalf version is that Galadriel is to wield the Elessar in the 'land of your dwelling' -- and in the Celebrimbor version she wields the Elessar and 'all things grew fair about Galadriel', this being before the events of the Third Age that led her to Lorien as a 'permanent' abode.

In other words, I would wonder why Galadriel waits untill after TA 1980, 1981 to be settled in Lorien to specifically wield Nenya, as she was already trying to preserve the land of her dwelling using the Elessar-jewel.

Last edited by Galin : 04-07-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #56
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I picture Galadriel as a trmented soul before she found Lorien to dwell in, always searching for a place that reminded her of Valinor, and trying all sorts of 'elf-magic' to make them so. Finally she found Lorien and it all fell into place, where her jewels could recreate her home to a degree that she could resist the sea-longing.