Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2004, 11:22 AM   #41
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Hmmm...they sound great! uh...what genre IS that, anyway!

Thrash/speed metal. They were in the forefront along with Metallica and Sepultura and a few others. But Slayer is the one that also most heavily influenced early death metal. There's no denying their influence at least.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:20 PM   #42
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Agh, Tesla. You just reminded me, LT. I hate them.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #43
Hans Moleman
Hobbit

What are you talking about? Rush are f***ing amazing. OK maybe some of their newer stuff like vapor trails is a bit crap, but caress of steel, fly by night, 2112, farwell to kings etc... are pure gold!

"Ahh my brain"
Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #44
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

i just can't stand(and i've heard plenty of them thanks to my cousin ) AC-DC, they're lead singer sounds like a high daffy duck (almost as bad as fingernails on chalkboard)
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #45
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

I also thing there is a difference between bands you want to like but can't, and bands you liked once but don't anymore.

In the first catagory, I never really could get into:
Cheap Trick, The Clash, Elvis Costello, America, Joe Cocker, or U2.
There were some songs they did I liked, but I just couldn't get into them

Bands that I used to like but dont anymore are:
Rolling Stones (I like the first twenty of their Forty Licks CD), Rush (I lost interest after their sucky Grace Under Pressure tour), and Rod Stewart after he left the Faces.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:47 AM   #46
Bran
Hobbit

Led Zeppelin...I don't know why...I've liked a couple of their songs, but when you buy a "best of" of someone, and only like one or two songs...

Pink Floyd...I really really liked Dark Side of the Moon...but sometimes I can't sit down and actually listen to it...maybe I need to get more of there stuff?

Dave Mathews...I really like the music, I just can't listen to it hehe. His music is a blast to play on guitar though, I'll tell you that!

Bright Eyes...I love his lyrics, but I'm a hungry instrummentlist who loves hearing good instrummentles, and this stuff starves me...get a new band, dude!

Why doesn't anybody like Elvis Costello? His old punk stuff is so much fun! By his Best Of and you'll see what I mean. And the number of people knocking the Beatles is shocking! Those guys were awesome! They had more influence on rock music than just about anybody you can mention, with the exceptions of people like Elvis Presley and Do Diddy and Buddy Holly, of course. But the Beatles are so cool! Haven't you guys ever heard "Blackbird" or "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? I can see why some people don't like them...they're just to old fashioned for some people, but when you really listen to them, they aren't all that old fashioned at all. They play the same music you listen to now with less distortion.

Last edited by Bran : 10-19-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:12 AM   #47
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Rammstein...could never get into it.

Mettalica too, though I've actually heard little of their music.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:12 AM   #48
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Hey, last year I made a mistake. I like the Beatles now, but back then I thought all of their songs were like "I Wanna Hold Your Hand." I still hate their early work, just learned more about them.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't stand Zep. That's the only band I actually feel guilty about disliking. And Robert Plant solo , I don't even want to like. I really want him to stop singing.

But how can you not like Cheap Trick? Seriously, I don't understand. I can't help loving them; they're just so dumb. I can't stop myself from enjoying something so ridiculous.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:30 AM   #49
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
i just can't stand(and i've heard plenty of them thanks to my cousin ) AC-DC, they're lead singer sounds like a high daffy duck (almost as bad as fingernails on chalkboard)
Now that I've heard them, I totally agree.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #50
Melfena
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Elvis (That guy sucked. But I've gotta be grateful for his invention of Rock.)
I also do not like Elvis, but i want to clearify something, Elvis DID NOT create rock 'n' roll, Buddy Holly did when a D.J. locked himself in the studio and would play nothing other than Buddy Holly, and he called it Rock 'n' roll, and that is where we get the term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran
Pink Floyd...I really really liked Dark Side of the Moon...but sometimes I can't sit down and actually listen to it...maybe I need to get more of there stuff?
How can you not like Pink Floyd . They are one of my favorite bands, but also i have been listining to them for longer that i can rember, but PLEASE listen to more of their music, and give them a second chance (I recomend wish you were here )

Last edited by Melfena : 12-01-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Melfena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #51
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melfena
I also do not like Elvis, but i want to clearify something, Elvis DID NOT create rock 'n' roll, Buddy Holly did when a D.J. locked himself in the studio and would play nothing other than Buddy Holly, and he called it Rock 'n' roll, and that is where we get the term
Actually Rock and Roll had been an established artistic phenomenon in the black musical culture for some time. Chuck Berry anyone? From there the white artists adopted it (and a young white audience embraced it) and it went main stream. Buddy Holly came years later.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:39 PM   #52
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

Wow. You are all crazy. I don't really admire artists who I've never enjoyed.
The Beatles are the greatest band ever. All the artists that you guys have listed either I haven't heard, I love, or just hate. I think I used to be different but I can get get into any good music. I love it or hate it.

Hmm..Now that I think about it...Ok..I admit there ARE a few bands that I like who I don't think are all that good. But then, I don't really LIKE them. I may like a couple of their songs when I am in a certain mood or when I am going crazy. But for the most part I find them a bit irritating.

Bright Eyes, for instance. Boring.Grateful Dead, Tori Amos, boring, boring
System of A Down really irritating

Maybe someone should make a thread about bands you hate that make music you love. There already is a thread like that, isn't there? I'll have to look.

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #53
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melfena
what you talkin' bout willis? Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Came from the blacks long before Buddy Holly came on the scene.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:57 PM   #54
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Whatever man. Elvis is still the King. and dead and a bad musician.

BTW, Rush is really amazing. I know their lead singer's voice, like the AC/DC singer's voice, irritates some people lot, but it's just different. My main thought on that is it's a shame your ears are so weird.

Rush is composed of THREE people! My boss showed me a video of them in concert and that blew me away. I thought it was more like six guys each doing their unimpressive part, but the vocalist sings, plays bass and plays the keyboard simultaneously, the one guitarist plays like a madman nonstop and the drummer is just the best.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #55
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

immortal, ok so the music is mind-numbingly brilliant, but their make-up is way overboard
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote