Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2000, 03:08 AM   #41
Mresone

Re: How many times have you read LOTR?

Haven't a clue....

But, I picked up the Hobbit when I was 10, after watching the cartoon movie. That was 20 years ago. I don't think I read LOTR until I was 12 or so... Have not read it in about a year, but I have read the Hobbit, LOTR, the Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales at least once a year since I found them, and I never get tired of them.
Old 07-18-2000, 12:20 PM   #42
Shanamir Duntak

I just read it twice AND AN HALF! This spring, I got the the library, borrow the book (hardcover 3in1 + annexes), read until beginning of the second book of the two towers, then, they call me and tell me someone else put a reservation on the book!!! I had to bring it back, unfinished. Darn. But I'll buy the book now and have my own version then i'll read it when I want!!!
Old 07-19-2000, 08:19 PM   #43
Wizard of the Secret Fire

I have lost count, but I began when I was 10 (maybe) and I have read at least one time every year. I am 18 now and I believe that I have read it between 10 and 15 times. First I read it in Swedish, but the translation is terrible so I only read it in English now. I read the Silmarillion more often now, I hope to buy it in English soon (not the same translator as LotR, but still better in English). I like the Hobbit too, I found the nice deluxe Edition with illustrations from Lee and it is really nice to read. Reading some parts of HoMe this summer...
Old 07-21-2000, 04:37 PM   #44
galadriel2

the Hobbit

I only read the Hobbit once(so far, I'm currently reading it again) and that was when I was nine. How odd.
Old 07-22-2000, 02:34 PM   #45
etherealunicorn

re: how many...

Jeez, I can't believe that I have somehow missed this thread. I sure thought that I had responded to this one. Since apparently I have not, I will now do so. I think that it was 20 years ago now that I first read LotR. After I flogged my way through the first reading, I was hooked. For the first 5 years, I probably read them a couple of times a year and after that I make a habit of reading at least once a year, not counting going back to enjoy my favorite scenes exclusively. So, probably 25 or 30 times and I am currently involved in my latest reading (TT, to be exact)
I love it. Middle-Earth is not simply a great idea, it is an experience unto itself. Every reading unfolds another layer of the experience and I always find some new insight that I never considered before. I wonder if even Tolkien truly realized the wonder that he has wrought.
Old 07-23-2000, 01:35 PM   #46
Shanamir Duntak

Re: re: how many...

Just a question for you all... How many times Michael Martinez has read LOTR??? He seems to know EVERYTHING about Middle-Earth!
Old 07-29-2000, 01:33 AM   #47
Rambunctious Ugnaught

4, and 4 for the Silmarillion as well.
Old 08-03-2000, 02:59 AM   #48
Grand Admiral Reese

Once. But considering I just bought the books at the beginning of June, and didn't begin to read them until two weeks ago, that isn't a bad thing. I'll definatly re-read them several times.
Old 08-03-2000, 07:55 PM   #49
Shanamir Duntak

Ah... a new fan!
Old 08-03-2000, 11:50 PM   #50
Mithadan

Lets just say that I recall reading JRRT's obituary and I've read The Hobbit/LoTR at least twice a year on average (not including the Silmarillion and the HoME series, I bought The Silm. on the first day it was out, ditto Unfinished Tales).
Old 08-05-2000, 03:01 PM   #51
cee2lee2

About half a dozen times. But I never made it all the way through the Sil. It's been about 5 years since I last read LOTR so it's time to start again. I want to make sure I read it (and the Hobbit and the Sil all the way through this time) before the movie comes out next year.
Old 08-10-2000, 03:35 PM   #52
Gilthalion

I'm afraid I've lost track, but I read it about every two years, along with THE HOBBIT and THE SILMARILLION. That means at least 12 times. I'm in the middle of #13, aloud to my wife.
Old 08-12-2000, 01:48 AM   #53
Legolas

Just once.

I have not read the Silmarrilion. Yet.

Legolas
Old 08-12-2000, 07:13 PM   #54
Grand Admiral Reese

I haven't read The Silmarillion yet, either. But I do have it. I'm just working my way through other books right now.
Old 08-21-2000, 09:22 PM   #55
Dfsg

I just finnished LOTR for my first time reading it! I am just starting on the Simarillion!
Old 08-22-2000, 11:08 AM   #56
dunedain lady

I've read it all the way through twice, but it probably adds up to more like 10 times if you count all the bits and pieces I've read over and over because I like them so much. I spend an entire semester in "tech-ed" class camped out on one of the chairs in the library re-reading The Hobbit over and over again. I re-read Return of the King recently on plane trips to and from Peru, adn I've realized that I desperately need new copies! They belonged to my father, and, in the words of the lady sitting in the plane seat next to me "have been through Hell and back." Or maybe Mordor. I've read the first chapter of Sil about 3 times, then forget to read more. I've got to finish it sometime.
Old 08-22-2000, 11:46 PM   #57
Arathorn II

When I am finished reading The Silmarillion I always start rereading, and then after 2-3 chapters I take a long pause, 6-7 months before I continue, so I newer remember the beginning..
Old 08-23-2000, 10:29 PM   #58
anduin

Awesome user icon Arathorn!!
Old 08-23-2000, 10:39 PM   #59
Shanamir Duntak

Indeed! Where have you got that?
Old 08-23-2000, 11:59 PM   #60
Arathorn II