Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2003, 08:16 PM   #21
katya
Elven Maiden

The audience I was with just giggled a bit at some parts. Of course, I was so absorbed in watching the movie that I probably wouldn't have noticed. There were these people to my left that kept talking. From what I could hear, one of them had read the book, and was explaining things to the other one. For example, "did you see what happened there? He only did that because of that but really, it's like this" That was kind of funny. Actually, now that I think about it, there might have been some quiet cheers at certain parts that I just didn't notice...I half remember them now....
(As for myself, I was pretty much silent except when I pointed out to my brother that when the eye of Sauron was upon him, Frodo fell...like a flamer.)
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:13 PM   #22
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Some good friends and I went to see it again at a local theater. We all shouted "WINGNUT!" when the words appeared (except for one of our number, to whom I owe a good bashing..). It was great fun.
There were these people sitting behind me who were obviously seeing it for the first time. When Shelob came up behind Frodo, one of them says "Turn AROUND!" It was really funny. I almost laughed. At the part where Frodo claims the Ring, one of them shouted "Just stab him, Sam!" I wanted to turn around and pop him one. Sam? stab Frodo? Kevin McAllister: "I don't think so."
At the end we all stayed and cheered our favorite actors. And we 'boo-ed' the Witch King, which was jolly great fun.
I can't wait to see it again. I'll sit beside my friend (the one who didn't join in "WINGNUT!") and make as much noise as possible at my favorite parts. *laughs evilly and thinks with delight how he will twinge with embarrasment* Sorry, S... kind of
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:07 PM   #23
Victoria
Sapling

Strider cheers...

people cheered and clapped like crazy in the following scenes when I watched ROTK:

the ever so cool Legolas fight scene..."that still counts as one!"

the time Gandalf showed up to help Faramir and that staff of his glowed dazzling white....beautiful...

when Sam faced off with Shelob...excellent job there...

then when the ending credits came on and sketches of the actors popped up on screen (who did those sketches??? they were awesome!)...
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:24 PM   #24
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

No one cheered in my theatre, but I almost wanted to when Sam said "Don't go where I can't follow."
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:18 PM   #25
matthew
Enting

No one cheered when I was there. I was in front of a bunch of little kids who constantly:
a) asked why the hobbits were so little
b) cheered everytime some got killed (including faramir, who I guess didnt get KILLED.
c) laughed when frodo stood on the edge of the crack of doom, struggling with the Ring. SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!!! at one point I turned around and told a kid if he didnt shut up I would ring his neck in the middle of the movie theater. He shut right up, but his stupid friends kept laughing. by the end of the movie I was ready to kill the little !%#^ *(^$&s!!! %%*($$&(^#*^&$%*^#$^^$%^*%%#%&^^&*%$#&^&*&#%* ......

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!

Last edited by matthew : 02-07-2004 at 12:19 PM.
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #26
ryttu3k
Enting

My sympathies, Matthew...

We had THE most responsive theatre, the first time around! It was unbelievable... audience participation at its finest. Lots of cheering, lots of clapping, lots of laughter (at the right places, usually, except with Shelob sneaking up on Frodo - THAT was inappropriate!), a hell of a lot of sobbing... heh...

I've done some audience participation... at Denethor's plunge I said sarcastically, "One Steward of Gondor, extra crispy, please!", yesterday I was the first to cheer for Eowyn's "I am no man!", and when Sam says, "You can't go walking about in Mordor in naught but your skin!" I yelled, "Why not?", earning a cheer of appreciation with a group of fangirls ^_^

(Note: I am not a fangirl and I don't find Poor Widdle Frodo the least bit sexy. I was just being funny )
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #27
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

The first time I saw it on opening night, everyone was cheering so much. The second time, there was almost no one there so there wasn't much cheering. When Leggy killed the oliphant, everyone was cheering so much that I couldn't even hear Gimli say "That still only counts as one" which was a shame becuase I liked that line.
Quote:
then when the ending credits came on and sketches of the actors popped up on screen (who did those sketches??? they were awesome!)...
Yes they were. The were SO good. I wish I could draw like that .
Overall, people cheered a whole lot, which was great because they really like it, but it wasn't so great cuz I really just wanted to watch the movie with no interupptions.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:13 PM   #28
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I cheered throughout it. Though I think I was the only one. The audience only made a reaction to Gimli's "that only counts as one" line. I was out of my seat as well and about to shout "MIDDLE-EARTH NEEDS ME" then run into the screen, but a mate pretty much pulled me back in my seat!!!

There was an annoying line of 9 year old boys in the seat in front of us who kept on saying "when will it finish!" "is it over yet" half way through. I nearly strangled the one in front of me, but my mate intervined again! I mean if they didn't want to sit and watch it why come???? I did get my own back though. I managed to stop biting my thumbs during the Shelob scene (I'm terrified of spiders) to pinch the boys neck in front of me. He jumped a mile and then turned around to see who it was. But by this time I was deeply engrossed again and showing no signs of witnessing what had just happened!!! Well it teaches him for talking through it.

I was also the only person to cheer when Gimli and Legolas caught Aragorn going along to the Paths of the Dead.
I earned a few bruises that night, but it was worth it!!!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:23 PM   #29
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Quote:
I was in front of a bunch of little kids who constantly:
a) asked why the hobbits were so little
b) cheered everytime some got killed (including faramir, who I guess didnt get KILLED.
c) laughed when frodo stood on the edge of the crack of doom, struggling with the Ring. SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!!! at one point I turned around and told a kid if he didnt shut up I would ring his neck in the middle of the movie theater. He shut right up, but his stupid friends kept laughing. by the end of the movie I was ready to kill the little !%#^ *(^$&s!!! %%*($$&(^#*^&$%*^#$^^$%^*%%#%&^^&*%$#&^&*%* ......
Oh my God, that's like what happened to me the 2nd time I went to see FotR. There was this whole row of little sh*ts behind me, they must have been from a preschool or something, and they didn't shut up for the whole freakin movie! And the little sh*t behind me kept kicking my chair, but it stopped when I told it that the Balrog was actually my friend and would deal with him later. This was over 2 years ago now, but I'm STILL BITTER!!!!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:38 AM   #30
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've seen it twice now. The second viewing kinda lost that rosy glasses view... definitely growing a bit stale. Btw: I saw it in the Embassy down in Wellington. Envy me. That was pretty exciting - especially going around afterwards trying to figure out where everyone sat... They stole Legolas' and Aragorn's plaques! I did get a photo of Merry's though...

Merry's Plaque & Dom's seat.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:37 AM   #31
Millane
The Dude

i cheered at the movie marathon when Boromir first appeared on screen, i was drunk i have no problem with showing my emotion its just i usually feel its inconsiderate of me to constantly disrupt others movies, but hey it was Boromir
Old 04-14-2004, 07:13 AM   #32
Fewin Greenleaf
Enting

when i watched the film, there was an applause coming from the audience. there were also shoutings...and most of them were shouting "kiss, kiss!"....(that was when aragorn approached legolas, and the other elves, after he was crowned as king)
Old 04-14-2004, 11:35 AM   #33
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by Fewin Greenleaf
when i watched the film, there was an applause coming from the audience. there were also shoutings...and most of them were shouting "kiss, kiss!"....(that was when aragorn approached legolas, and the other elves, after he was crowned as king)

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:53 PM   #34
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm waiting for it to come to a smaller theatre in town where they serve food and drink, including beer, while you watch the movie

the crowd can get pretty fun sometimes... especially with a movie that long
Old 04-15-2004, 11:58 PM   #35
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Ugh! I get the worst audiences ever! No one cheered, it TT no one laughed!!!! I felt like an idiot sometimes becasue people would turn around and look at me for laughing at the funny stuff!!! In RotK the audience was in a slightly better humor but I was the only one to cheer. When Aragorn jumped over that boat I jsut couldn't hold it back any longer. Funny looks for that too. Stupid people don't know what good acting is.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:19 AM   #36
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
I saw ROTK yesterday (for the 4th time -- I'm such a slacker!!!) in a really unique venue: The Smith Opera House in Geneva, NY.

It's a restored 1894 era theater, originally used for stage productions. It is now used for stage productions, films and concerts and the building is just beautiful! It's a real community effort and labor of love.

The neatest part is the ceiling in the auditorium reproduces the night sky with tiny lights representing stars which are left on during the show. It was almost like watching the movie in a garden at twilight and it was just a delightful experience overall.

Here is the website if you are interested either in historic renovations or neat entertainment venues!

http://www.thesmith.org/

Edit: I doubt that it works as a link because I'm totally inept at doing such things, but the addy is correct.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...

Last edited by Beruthiel's cat : 04-19-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:17 PM   #37
Cassius
Enting

Gimli

The theater I was in was packed full of Teeny bopper Legolas fans (shudder) who screamed madly whenever he was on camera, even if he wasn't doing anything!
Then they were all crying and balling through the emotional parts and finally some guy yelled "SHUT UP!!!" I am a personal believer in dwarf superiority, congrats to those who are the same and cheered for gimli every once and a while!

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #38
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassius
The theater I was in was packed full of Teeny bopper Legolas fans (shudder) who screamed madly whenever he was on camera, even if he wasn't doing anything!
As in -- most of the movie!!!!

Cassius...I feel your pain. One of my housemates is a (40 year old) Orly fangirl!!!

(I happen to think Billy Boyd is cute as a bug's ear, but I'd never dream of squealing, screaming or otherwise making a fool of myself. Besides, he's too young for me. Viggo is more my age...)

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 05-06-2004, 09:49 AM   #39
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Oh, yes! Billy Boyd!!! I mean, who cares about Mr. Cheekbones with all those silly SFX stunts? We love the little troll-killer! (you'd have to have read the books, because they forgot to put it in the movie. And I say forgot, because they couldn't POSSIBLY have left it out on purpose!)
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #40
Beruthiel's cat

Okay, Rosie -- you've got me there. Billy is a cutie-pie. **sigh**

Ooops! I forgot (repeat after me) "I am not a fangirl..."

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~